PDA

View Full Version : Round dead spots

smikes
06-15-2007, 06:41 AM
After my initial greening and into the first hot spell, my lawn has round dead spots.I had fertilized in spring followed by a insect control granual.Looking on line, I found it may be lack of Nitrogen.Sound right?I seem to develope these every year which sucks because the lawn strts out looking great. Is there something I should put on the lawn more often? Thanks for tips in advance!

Rtom45
06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
sounds to me like a disease, maybe dollar spot. Some pictures would be helpful. A lot of lawn diseases have symptoms that are very similar and its hard to distinguish between them. Lawn diseases are present year round, and the right set of weather conditions sets them off. For the most part, chemicals or cultural practices control the disease, but they don't kill it.

M.C.L.C.
06-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Pictures would make this easier, but with the weather you described it could be a couple different things. Look up brown patch fungus, dollar patch fungus, summer patch....again pics would be nice but thats just me naming a few. what kind of grass do you have? Has it been wet lately or dry? let me know some of these things and i can figure it out for you

smikes
06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Here are some pics.It has not been hot for more than two ,three days in a row, and not overly dry. I mow the lawn at 4.5 inches. As far as type of grass, not a clue. I had to reclaim this yard when we bought this house.when we moved in this part of yard was all wild stawberries. Messy to walk on but pleasant to smell.

Capemay Eagle
06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Could be grubs. I'll let you borrow my moles and voles to take care of them:laugh:

sildoc
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
need closer pics. Looks like red thread but hard to tell unless I can see the leaf.

Rob.C
06-26-2007, 03:07 AM
red thread pretty sure, but agree need closer picture

Troy-Bilt
06-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Look at a plant closely and see if you can see small red threads attached to the blades and some closer to the crown (bad). It is best to look in the early morning when the turf is wet, it will magnify the effect. I agree with the others... You need to apply two applications spaced 10/14 days apart of Scottís summer guard or equivalent. If the disease attacks the crown you will lose the plant. Also, nitrogen at required levels with this heat is not a great solution as the turf is ready to go dormant for July in your area. Hope this helps.

sildoc
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Look at a plant closely and see if you can see small red threads attached to the blades and some closer to the crown (bad). It is best to look in the early morning when the turf is wet, it will magnify the effect. I agree with the others... You need to apply two applications spaced 10/14 days apart of Scottís summer guard or equivalent. If the disease attacks the crown you will lose the plant. Also, nitrogen at required levels with this heat is not a great solution as the turf is ready to go dormant for July in your area. Hope this helps.

ummmmm
Scotts Summer Guard only has insecticide in it and not a fungicide. the only way that will work is the N.

Troy-Bilt
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
My bad.. Scott call's it.. Summer Fungus Control ..just get a product with Dimethyl. Thx

Bill S
07-03-2007, 07:06 PM
One other thing to beware of is irrigation. Too much water leaches the nitrogen out of your soil making the lawn more susceptible to red thread. You should be watering in the morning, not the evening. One inch of water for your lawn per week is average, depending on the drainage of your lawn you will want to adjust from there.

Troy-Bilt
07-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Greetings-:usflag:
See attached link which suggest you are correct regarding watering and turf concerns..
http://www.turfgrasstrends.com/turfgrasstrends/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=136207&pageID=1&sk=&date=

smikes
07-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Thank for input. It seems watering(5-7 p.m/6-7 a.m.)are too early and too late.So I will try a fungicide and reseed?

Bill S
07-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Probably won't need a reseed. You definitely will benefit from a fungicide applilcation as well as a fertilization of around 4 pounds on N per 1000 sq ft.

How long are you watering? How much water is going onto the lawn per watering? 1/4"? 1/2"? 1"? You can measure by putting some tin cans out (tuna cans/cat food cans or something of the sort) let the system go and see how much water you have caught!

Give us more feedback and we can give you more advice...