PDA

View Full Version : 4-Stroke String Trimmer advice

rayeski
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I am looking to make the switch over to a 4-stroke string trimmer. Can anyone tell me from experience, what the advantages/disadvantages are if I do? Thanks

grasswhacker
06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I am looking to make the switch over to a 4-stroke string trimmer. Can anyone tell me from experience, what the advantages/disadvantages are if I do? Thanks

I have had mine for 4 years (Honda)and have not had any problem with it at all. It does not clog up, nor do I have to worry about it running too rich or lean on the mixture. The only disadvantage, if you call it that is that, it weighs a bit more. But any man should be able to handle it all day.
I wish they would come up with a BP blower in 4 stroke.

sawman65
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
stihl stihl stihl stihl nuff said

MuleCutter
06-15-2007, 12:41 PM
pros - cleaner burning, more torque, quieter, better fuel economy, easier starting
cons - a little heavier

i have all stihl 4 stroke with the exception being my 2 stroke FS250. i have an FS100, BR600, HT101 and the pivoting hedge trimmer (forgot the model)... all of these are 4-Mix units and i've never had one single problem with any of them. on my trimmer and blower... being that i use them daily, they start on choke with the first pull without priming.

naturescape
06-15-2007, 03:36 PM
These Stihl 4-Mix products are not true 4 stroke engines. They are 2-stroke's.

I HAVE noticed that the weight on the Honda has come down a bit lately. It needs to come down a bit more before I buy one.

sawman65
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
These Stihl 4-Mix products are not true 4 stroke engines. They are 2-stroke's.

I HAVE noticed that the weight on the Honda has come down a bit lately. It needs to come down a bit more before I buy one.

WRONG my friend the stihl 4mix are true 4 stroke engines they have a #1 intake stroke#2compression stroke#3 a power stroke and #4 a exaust stroke.
they have cams and valve train just because they have no oil sump or pan dont mean they are not 4 strokes

naturescape
06-15-2007, 07:43 PM
WRONG my friend the stihl 4mix are true 4 stroke engines they have a #1 intake stroke#2compression stroke#3 a power stroke and #4 a exaust stroke.
they have cams and valve train just because they have no oil sump or pan dont mean they are not 4 strokes

I stand corrected.

BUT, these 4-mixes are clearly burning 2cycle oil into the environment. The Honda does not.

grasswhacker
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM

You still have to mix. I think he wanted something he does not have to use 2 cycle.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I think the Honda is the only unit that burns regular gas and has a seperate crankcase for oil ? The extra weight is probably significant if you are doing a lot of trimming. Don't understand why you would want to go with this kind of unit over a straight 2 stroke like Echo 261T unless it is a noise issue? I am guessing the Echo is cheaper and it is a proven machine with plenty of torgue.

drumbo
06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
I can attest that the Honda is a beast. I bought the 35cc model this year and it likes to cut down trees! I am trying to sell it now due to the whining of my trimmer guy... whaaaaa. He thinks it's heavy and his arm gets cramped. Whatevs...

sawman65
06-16-2007, 05:24 AM
well yea it burns mix gas but it can be run at any angle not so for the honda

naturescape
06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
well yea it burns mix gas but it can be run at any angle not so for the honda

Honda says their trimmers can be held at any angle/position according to their website. Hey, I don't want to defend them TOO much, too heavy to use all day. BUT I do think they are to be commended for starting the whole 4 stroke trimmer revolution. Once they get lighter, that's all you'll see. The EPA is not going to allow oil being released into the atmosphere on every trimmer much longer.

Note to other companies -- get with it! More 4 stroke trimmers! Lighter!

jsaunders
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Husky has a 4 stroke- It is a honda engine:) - 24 cc I believe - pretty light have been using it for 2-3 years with no problems except I broke the finger throttle( 2 min fix) and the fuel line split at the carb( 10 min fix- only because of my big hands.

Husky has it all over the honda trimmers- husky is a solid shaft while the hondas are cables(junk) I also have 3 hondas but will get the husky from now on.

324lx trimmer is 11 lbs
Joel

naturescape
06-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Husky has a 4 stroke- It is a honda engine:) - 24 cc I believe - pretty light have been using it for 2-3 years with no problems except I broke the finger throttle( 2 min fix) and the fuel line split at the carb( 10 min fix- only because of my big hands.

Husky has it all over the honda trimmers- husky is a solid shaft while the hondas are cables(junk) I also have 3 hondas but will get the husky from now on.

324lx trimmer is 11 lbs
Joel

I found it, it's the 324Lx, rated at 11.2 lbs. Looks pretty nice, much lighter than the Honda. I may have to look into these....... Thanks!

tallimeca
06-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Husky has a 4 stroke- It is a honda engine - 24 cc I believe - pretty light have been using it for 2-3 years with no problems except I broke the finger throttle( 2 min fix) and the fuel line split at the carb( 10 min fix- only because of my big hands.

324lx trimmer is 11 lbs
Joel

Yes!! Was just going to post the same. Nice Trimmer! Very comparable to the Echo SRM260S, which is our best seller by far. Had a guy looking for a 4 stroke and I put both of them in his hands to get a feel. He figured the 4 stroke would be significantly heavier, but it's not.

Only Husky String trimmer I stock. Also, they do make it in a split shaft for running attachments too. Only like 30 bucks more.

Not sure if Honda is running any split shafts.

fiveoboy01
06-16-2007, 10:20 PM
The EPA is not going to allow oil being released into the atmosphere on every trimmer much longer.

Are you privvy to some sort of "inside" info that you have proof of this?

naturescape
06-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Are you privvy to some sort of "inside" info that you have proof of this?

Nope, just my guess....... they were starting to phase out 2 cycle equipment starting with wheeled equipment a while back, remember? Handheld equipment was supposed to be next. Somehow, Tanaka got their wheeled edger back on the market again, I don't know all the details of how it happened tho. I just know that I bought one. :)

sawman65
06-17-2007, 10:19 AM
its a numbers game there will allways be 2 stroke handhelds. but the oem has to sell so many clean units before the can put the dirty engines out there.

lawnrangernc
06-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I got a Ryobi 1079R 4 stroke about 12 years ago and it's still going today it has been the best trimmer I have ever owned I just wish they still made this model today

milo
06-17-2007, 12:48 PM
ok i ran 2 different honda 4 strokes and 2 different stihl 4mix. the stihl is way better in every way. power, weight, everything.
the true only issue is that they dont rev up as fast as a 2 stroke. there is a tiny hesitation with the 4 strokes so you got to rev it up to hit the grass unlike a 2 stroke you just tap the gas. but once reved up the 4 stroke torque goes thru stuff great where a 2 stroke needs more throttle.
but stihl beats the hondas by far.

Babbages01
06-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I only do about 10 yards and a commercial account, but I was in the market for a split shaft trimmer so I could put on attachments. I got a Cub Cadet 4 stroke and so far it's worked great. Significantly heavier than my Stihl but I've learned to deal with it because I can use it as a string trimmer, edger, brush cutter and hedge trimmer.

rayeski
06-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. This gives me some great insight to move forward.

rayeski
06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. This helps me know what to look for.

Thinker
08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Nope, just my guess....... they were starting to phase out 2 cycle equipment starting with wheeled equipment a while back, remember? Handheld equipment was supposed to be next. Somehow, Tanaka got their wheeled edger back on the market again, I don't know all the details of how it happened tho. I just know that I bought one. :)

I am bit late on this thread, but FYI -- The EPA will not tighten exhaust emissions requirements for handhelds in the upcoming Phase 3 exhaust emissions. They will be left at Phase 2 levels, the tightest of which kicks in 2007 for above 50cc. Also, CARB is aligning HC and NOx emission regs for handhelds with the EPA and allowing up to 80cc displacement from 50 cc. CARB will still regulate CO and PM on all handhelds, while EPA Handheld Phase 2 and 3 will not. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread - it is partly a numbers game with some manufacturers "averaging" and "banking" above and below spec models. But it does look like handheld two strokes and hybrid two strokes will be around for awhile.

Scroll down to Small Nonroad Engines, or do a find on this page handheld
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/marinesi-equipld/420f07032.htm#1

EPA
We are proposing HC+NOx exhaust emission standards of 10 g/kW-hr for Class I engines starting in the 2012 model year and 8 g/kW-hr for Class II engines starting in the 2011 model year. We expect manufacturers to meet these standards by improving engine combustion and adding catalysts. These standards are consistent with the requirements recently adopted by the California Air Resources Board (ARB). We are not proposing new exhaust emission standards for handheld emissions.

Tanaka
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Good to see more and more threads with correct info about 2-strokes and emissions.

-MW

Tanaka
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

TANAKA WALK-BEHIND EDGER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1. When and why was the TLE-550 discontinued in the U.S.?
The TLE-550 did not meet EPA Phase 1 emission standards in 1997, but received a five-year extension and was last produced in 2002.

2. How is the new TLE-600 available for sale in the U.S.?
The TLE-600 is certified under the EPA Phase 2 1A classification which allows a handheld engine to be used in a non-handheld application as long as the engine is below 70 grams of hydrocarbons.

3. What modifications have been done to meet the emission levels?
1. Scavenging ports in the crankcase
2. Optimized carburetor setting
3. Small catalyst in the muffler

4. Why is the TLE-600 not available for sale in California?
The California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) does not offer a 1A classification.

5. What is the history of the Tanaka edger?
The TLE-500 was introduced in 1985 and was produced for two years. From 1987 through 2002, the TLE-550 was sold. The TLE-600 will be available in late January 2006.

-MW

tomo
08-07-2007, 11:51 PM
hello, 4stroke with wet sump eg honda
compared to sthil fs85pro

weight difference is next to nothing so no pos or neg there

the honda has a wet sump and should not be used any more than 45 degrees the sump oil will come out the breather maybe not when it is new but it does not take long

aall honda brushcutters staight shaft have solid shafts

the BIGGEST ADVANTAGE to honda is fuel consumption

another is RELIABILITY one major, repair/service in 4 years [this particular b/cutter is now a backup ]

the honda is ok with 90% of work .If ur doing heavy work consistantly a larger 2 stroke is the suggestion

tomo:waving:

Potchkins
08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I have had mine for 4 years (Honda)and have not had any problem with it at all. It does not clog up, nor do I have to worry about it running too rich or lean on the mixture. The only disadvantage, if you call it that is that, it weighs a bit more. But any man should be able to handle it all day.

I wish they would come up with a BP blower in 4 stroke.

Stihl BR 600, BR 550, BR 500

naturescape
08-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Stihl BR 600, BR 550, BR 500

He means a REAL 4 stroke, that doesn't release oil into the air. Not a 4 mix.

SpartanBill
08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I agree with Naturescapes angle. Its about the impact not just he results. Most commerical trimmers do a very nice job,But if a 4cyc has less enviro & health impact why waste your time with a mix4.

As far as the Manufactures: It sounds like Honda is on the ball. It seems that a lot of companies spend more effort trying to get away with as much as possible for as long as they can, then they do trying to be ahead of the curve and push advancement. "The Gov't says we don't have to make a more efficient machine so we're not going to".

Thinker
08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
On the other hand, I think the 2 stroke handheld manufacturers have come a long way. Since EPA Phase 2 in 2002, HC + NOx emissions have now been reduced by a factor of 4. And much more since Phase 1. PM (particulate matter) or what was referred to in an earlier post as "oil in the air" is also being reduced with higher gas/oil ratios and the development of low particulate oils. EPA or CARB regulations, not just engine emissions, are justified in terms of cost/benefit. Probably the reason for not additional tightening of the new EPA Phase 3 on handhelds is that spending additional $$$ would not give enough of a total emission reduction as spending $$$ on the larger walk-behinds, tractors etc of Class 1 and 2 engines. They burn more fuel, and they are many more of of these around.

rogerwb
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
stihl stihl stihl stihl nuff said

LOVE MY STIHL 4-mix. The noise level and power offsets the weight diff.

naturescape
08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree with Naturescapes angle. Its about the impact not just he results. Most commerical trimmers do a very nice job,But if a 4cyc has less enviro & health impact why waste your time with a mix4.

As far as the Manufactures: It sounds like Honda is on the ball. It seems that a lot of companies spend more effort trying to get away with as much as possible for as long as they can, then they do trying to be ahead of the curve and push advancement. "The Gov't says we don't have to make a more efficient machine so we're not going to".

And I agree with YOU here on this last point. BTW, I have the Husky 324lx trimmer, which has the Honda 4 stroke engine but only weighs 12.2 lbs, much lighter than Honda's trimmer! I don't use it all the time, maybe about 30 - 50%, my Echo 260 seems better balanced/more powerful. But it might just be what I'm used to.

On my Husky, I have an Echo gearbox/trimmer head with an Edgit installed. As I'll have on all my trimmers from now on.....