PDA

View Full Version : Tree dropping leaves please help (picture included)

FERT-TEK
06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
First let me say that I know very little about caring for trees. Having said that, I have a Black Alder clump tree in my back yard that is dropping its leaves and I want to know what I could or should do to prevent this. I am in the Chicago suburbs where we have had a dry spring so far but have had some rain lin the last two weeks. The tree appears healthy to me and is watered once a week. The leaves you see in the picture all dropped in the last 24 hrs if that helps.

Sorry about the picuture it was taken with a camera phone. Let me know if you need others to diagnose this problem

wahlturfcare
06-15-2007, 04:01 PM
its the same here in iowa. im the upper 90's without rain for about a month some leaves are falling. its did it last year to and all the trees i've see do it then, are still growing.

Nosmo
06-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Had the same problem last year when we were under a drought. A sweet gum maple planted in 1978 lost its leaves after they turned brown. When we got the needed rain it regrew leaves and came out of it.

Then we had an ice storm of the century --- lost a big portion of the limbs but it is green this year.

Nosmo

FERT-TEK
06-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Even though I have been watering it, do you think it needs more? Is this how some trees go dormant in dry weather?

Nosmo
06-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Well I do know when a tree is stressed it sometimes even appears to have died. Pines in my area will start turning brown and dropping needles.

Some trees require a lot of water -- 50 gals a day. I'm not a tree expert person but if it were my tree I give it more water.

I'm sure I am not the only one curious about your photo. What is the purpose of the watering can ?

Nosmo

FERT-TEK
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Well I do know when a tree is stressed it sometimes even appears to have died. Pines in my area will start turning brown and dropping needles.

Some trees require a lot of water -- 50 gals a day. I'm not a tree expert person but if it were my tree I give it more water.

I'm sure I am not the only one curious about your photo. What is the purpose of the watering can ?

Nosmo

good question, it is for the hanging baskets above it, not the tree

justanotherlawnguy
06-15-2007, 09:11 PM
have you tried calling an arborist?

Focal Point Landscapes
06-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Lay that hose at the base of the tree , turn on just a trickle for several hours - if your problem is water , the leaves should stop dropping . The tree does not look to be drought stressed , though .