PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal???

Grass Kickin
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Lately with the gas crunch, I've had a few customers cancel. I'm sure there are other LCO's lowballing and getting that work. Now, everytime I see a guy working out of his pickup with a 10ft trailer with a Craftsman Tractor and homelight euipment, I can't help but think he is not a legit LCO and I get angry. It bother's me that I went the correct rouite and got the nec. lic and ins to operate my business legitamately and there are a ton of other pople out there who didn't. Sorry, I know this is an age old problem, just venting a bit.

BQLC
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I sympathize with you. I also get frustrated at times but you have to just keep at it and try to increase your customer base as you can.Good luck

Your Lawn First
06-15-2007, 04:15 PM
these guys will only last for so long before they break something cutt a line and have to pay for it out fo there pocket and have no money and have to sell there mower and trailer to make up for it. What you could do is go to that customers house and tell them that the guy is not ins.lis. or whatever. this is pretty shady but maybe will help you feel better

wooley99
06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
You may have seen me. I have a 10' trailer, a 28" Snapper rear-engine rider, a couple push mowers, and the first week I started only an electric trimmer and electric edger. I also started with a $1M insurance policy, an occupational license, a $100K bond, signs and business cards before I ever cut a lawn. The electric stuff got replaced with Huskies after a week and next week it's time to take cash and look a for used 36" and 48" WBs or break down and buy a Quick. You might want to be careful about telling someone's customers about their license and/or insurance status unless you have proof. Otherwise it's libel. Someday I hope to look like a big boy. In the meantime I'll try and stay alive and out of debt while I learn a lot.

Grass Kickin
06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
It isn't my style to dime someone out. I guess I'll wait for kharma to take care of it for me.

Your Lawn First
06-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I've never done it but it has happened to me twice and they both got it good

MeadowsLawnCare
06-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I started with a huske 21" and toro, weedeater trimmer, homelite blower etc, I have a license and insurance, be careful whose door you nock on.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Lately with the gas crunch, I've had a few customers cancel. I'm sure there are other LCO's lowballing and getting that work. Now, everytime I see a guy working out of his pickup with a 10ft trailer with a Craftsman Tractor and homelight euipment, I can't help but think he is not a legit LCO and I get angry. It bother's me that I went the correct rouite and got the nec. lic and ins to operate my business legitamately and there are a ton of other pople out there who didn't. Sorry, I know this is an age old problem, just venting a bit.

Not to disagree, but how did you start? I started like most others with a 21" push mower in the back of my truck. Now I have over 70 customers. I know you're just venting, but give credit to those guys out there just starting. There are plenty of yards out there for everybody and if you see a guy like this out there, go on to the next yard. It's not like you are going to have EVERY customer in your town. Hope this helps the venting process.

Novaowner
06-15-2007, 09:59 PM
I started with a huske 21" and toro, weedeater trimmer, homelite blower etc, I have a license and insurance, be careful whose door you nock on.

I started with a manual push rotary mower, a pair of handshears to trim, and a straw bristled broom to sweep with. Hauled this around in my Yugo.

Diversified Maintenance
06-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I applaud anyone who starts with equipment like that and makes it but generally the 'lowballing' stops once they buy their first $9000 mower!