PDA

View Full Version : A little over my head

BLKSS
06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
so i put an ad out about trimming small to medium size trees, well the response was outstanding but i have this one house with 40 foot trees and the customer wants one limb overhanging a powerline cut, one dead limb cut above his garage, and a few other limbs cut. I have no clue how to start. do i need a ladder, a second person, how do i keep the limb from snaping the powerline? really need help guys. or should i just tell the customer he should go with someone else that is more experienced.
thanks
BLKSS

harryhomeowner
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Wow...Sub this job out.

Perhaps act as a helper too so you can learn.

This sounds like one that might be a little to difficult to start with.

Your Lawn First
06-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Sub it out and watch and learn

txgrassguy
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
BLKSS, in the State of Texas you may not trim trees with-in striking distance of power lines unless you are certified by that power company to do so.
Should you go ahead and trim a tree with in striking distance of the power line then damage said line you are liable for civil as well as criminal charges.
as far as the other limbs are concerned, I recommend doing an indepth web search for arbory techniques as a wealth of information exists.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 08:04 PM
If you ever drop a limb on a power line and it bounces the wire you won't ever ever cut limbs around lines again! I won't start doing the higher risk stuff in year one....find a company that will back you up.

General Grounds
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
put a limit on your height. be careful till you gain exp.

topsites
06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Isn't it arboristsite.com, lawnsite's version of the tree stuff?

I've done a few trees and know a couple of guys into it, the deal with it is simple... Do a thousand small trees from the ground first, trees less than a foot in trunk diameter, and 50-75 feet high at the most, one thousand of those. Then work your way up over the next thousand, and by the time you've cut down 3-4,000 trees you should be an expert.

Afaik, other than legalities, you'll need to climb it, and rope it down some kind of way, maybe a bucket truck would come in handy.

Either way, around here it's 2-300 as soon as someone has to climb, man goes in the air = $2-300, even if it's just one small no-risk limb... I'm not so sure what is going on with this customer, but that power-line thing probably wouldn't be cheap but idk, your best bet would be to try arboristsite.com (http://www.arboristsite.com/), I think that's what it's called.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Well in biding trees if you bid it double the price and you will still go in the hole,hauling it off is killer on profit.

ThorVentures
06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Fill your mouth with marbles.

Spit one out for every tree you climb.

Went you've lost all your marbles, you're qualified.

sheshovel
06-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Do NOT do this work, you are not qualified and can get yourself dead or in big trouble. Have your client call a licensed certified arborist to do this work.

Allens LawnCare
06-17-2007, 11:49 PM
It's called a sub contractor.....Tree hits line, your dead= Not a good situation

Vikings
06-17-2007, 11:51 PM
maybe a bucket truck would come in handy.

That was my first thought, I was once a boom truck operator (hated the job).

Even then, apparently, Power can arc over and hit the boom.:confused:

If the tree is on city property you can get them to deal with it.. at least around here.

sheshovel
06-18-2007, 02:59 PM
It's called a sub contractor.....Tree hits line, your dead= Not a good situation

Far as I know licensed qualified arborists rarely take on sub work from small time LCO's.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
In the state of M.D. you cut a tree down with out The Certified arborist tree lic # and your in big trouble,if you get caught. If you don't know what your doing do you realize if you damage thou's lines or that person's house how much trouble you'll be in. Not to mention if the lines fall on you !Are you insured to do tree work ?

MOWEMJEFF
06-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I live in Maine and let me tell you we got trees. A kid and his dad just this weekend died when a tree went the opposite direction they thought it would and hit a wire. The only trees I touch are either in my backyard or already on the ground other then that insurance would go through the roof.

STRINGALATION
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Listen to the green lady!!!!!!!
take it from someone who got in trouble over what i thought was simple

:hammerhead: hey did you know that you should cut and fill even on small pools and not back fill :confused: . woooosh that was a lot of water but glad it was not amps and watts :hammerhead:

txgrassguy
06-19-2007, 08:30 PM
BLKS, Barret Tree is in Austin and I know they do good work.

BLKSS
06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
thanks to all for the responses