PDA

View Full Version : Is Bumpy/lumpy turf hard on mower?

green-pa
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Wanted to know if un-even slightly bumpy turf would harm a commercial grade mower. I guess they are built much stronger than a home owner unit. But will it still do well? Most people's yards aren't completely flat, but then some are very bumpy or perhaps LUMPY is a better term. I'm not saying rocks or dirts mounds, just lumpy turf where u can feel it's not smooth at all going over it, much vibration ect.

Your Lawn First
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
of course this will hurt the mower, just make sure you get your regular checks and keep a tool set with you for loose bolts.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Wanted to know if un-even slightly bumpy turf would harm a commercial grade mower. I guess they are built much stronger than a home owner unit. But will it still do well? Most people's yards aren't completely flat, but then some are very bumpy or perhaps LUMPY is a better term. I'm not saying rocks or dirts mounds, just lumpy turf where u can feel it's not smooth at all going over it, much vibration ect.

I have a few yards like this. Never pleasant to be riding a mower on. However, you may just have to slow down a little bit. And also, consider the terrain when placing a bid. Hope this helps.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 06:57 PM
If you would just buy the darn Scag it will fix most of your problems you are concerned about.....bumps and limbs aren't going to hurt that unit.

DuraCutter
06-15-2007, 11:43 PM

It might hurt the mower or not, but it'll sure tear the crap out of your back!!!

Advil and ice time!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

jbone
06-16-2007, 12:18 AM
It might hurt the mower or not, but it'll sure tear the crap out of your back!!!

Advil and ice time!!!

ditto. all this money im making mowing is just gonna end up going to a new spine and kidneys

bohiaa
07-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Of-corse it will, It will break the decks in half, ruin the pumps, and put dirt in the berrings,

If I were you I would, go flip hamburger patties, there NO lumps there.

Jay Ray
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Advil and ice time!!!

Advil helps, but if it progresses to stumpknocker's neck, there is no cure for that.:laugh: :laugh:

lifetree
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Of-corse it will, It will break the decks in half, ruin the pumps, and put dirt in the berrings. If I were you I would, go flip hamburger patties, there NO lumps there.

Just a bit too sarcastic, don't you think !!

wooley99
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite members and especially Green-Pa, I don't mean this with any malice. I'm dead serious.

Let's sponsor Green-Pa and give him the chance to get the used Scag WB and an old trailer (or some cheesy wooden ramps) and get out and use some commercial grade stuff.

Green-Pa if you post or PM me a mailing address I'll send you $1. You have to write "Sponsored by ____________" on the trailer, mower or ramps. And you have do the same for anyone else who goes for a $1 sponsorship. If even 1% of the the LawnSite members will do the same you can get a used trailer or mower. If everyone who is a member does you can get a brand new F-650 and some really long 2 x 8s. (LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum Statistics Threads: 178,547, Posts: 1,858,855, Members: 58,250).

What do you say Forum? Your $1.50 with postage and envelope to get Green-Pa rolling heavy metal :weightlifter: instead of typing questions about it...:clapping:

green-pa
07-01-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite members and especially Green-Pa, I don't mean this with any malice. I'm dead serious.

Let's sponsor Green-Pa and give him the chance to get the used Scag WB and an old trailer (or some cheesy wooden ramps) and get out and use some commercial grade stuff.

Green-Pa if you post or PM me a mailing address I'll send you $1. You have to write "Sponsored by ____________" on the trailer, mower or ramps. And you have do the same for anyone else who goes for a $1 sponsorship. If even 1% of the the LawnSite members will do the same you can get a used trailer or mower. If everyone who is a member does you can get a brand new F-650 and some really long 2 x 8s. (LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum Statistics Threads: 178,547, Posts: 1,858,855, Members: 58,250).

What do you say Forum? Your $1.50 with postage and envelope to get Green-Pa rolling heavy metal :weightlifter: instead of typing questions about it...:clapping:

Very funny. Thanks but I'd rather someone tell me where I can find a good price on a used trailer and not some bs about sponsorship which ain't gonna happen.

Grits
07-01-2007, 10:26 PM

:laugh:
Tom, you're crazy. I'll donate!!!!

wooley99
07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Green-pa,

I wasn't just being funny. I'm also serious as a heart attack. I've reviewed your posts; from what I can determine you're smart, hardworking, honest and trying very hard to learn the right stuff and do the right things. You've never asked for charity and this ain't charity. Companies sponsor to build goodwill and get recognition. This would build goodwill and for $1 even if they do it for a laugh so what. The LawnSite motto is “Professionals Growing Together”.

If you agree to it I'll push it and we'll see what happens. You do have to put your sponsors on whatever it buys in the end, even if it is only one 2 x 8, and post pics to the site. If it really goes you have to post progress reports on how the equipment works out.

Why not give it a whirl:confused: You've already got $2 pledged.

For the record; I don't know Green-pa from a can of paint, have never and have no intention of visiting Indiana and want nothing whatsoever out of this plan other than a good feeling at the end.

gary6768
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Put me down for a buck 50. $$ 1.50.... I might be going out on a ledge here but green-Pa does seem like a nice guy.

bohiaa
07-02-2007, 08:14 AM
ok, I'm in. how much will $0.35 get me ?

green-pa
07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Well it's awfully kind of u guys ( the ones who are sincere about helping me) but I think I found something I could afford for $525. It's only a 5x8, but that's enough to get me through this season and then if I outgrow it next year I'll probably not take too much of a loss. In the end, it will be worth it I'm sure. Hopefully I'll get a 6x10 or 6x12 next year so I can really have some space. I'm looking again at some 36's. I've not got to really test one yet so I'm excited. I'd like to get one today. It's probably between a Gravely 2006 hydro or Scag '07 belt driven. Chances are I'll go with the scag. I like the people at that dealership better, the color of the scag line, it's reputation, and plus it's brand new.

bohiaa
07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Plzzzzz go get it

thesargent
07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
yes, buy it. but you will out grow it in a year easily. i outgrew my 5x10 in one season.oh and ive got a dollar to donate also.

wooley99
07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
No donations. It's just like NASCAR. We want to SPONSOR green-pa's new ride for $1 per sponsor. Put a $1 bill and your business card in an envelope and if green-pa won't post a mailing address PM him for one.

Bohia, for .35 cents he'll put your business name on it in chalk...

bohiaa
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
No donations. It's just like NASCAR. We want to SPONSOR green-pa's new ride for $1 per sponsor. Put a $1 bill and your business card in an envelope and if green-pa won't post a mailing address PM him for one.

Bohia, for .35 cents he'll put your business name on it in chalk...

hummmm Chalk,

green-pa
07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
U guys are just silly! :laugh: