PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - sod in paddling pool

rtg20
06-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello,

We have a couple of dogs and constructed a bathroom for them by filling a small child's paddling pool with some sort of special lawn soil (from the Home Depot) and covering it with sod. For a few weeks all was well...but now the sod has all died.

Any suggestions? It's been watered reasonably frequently and fertilized (by the dogs!) and is outside in the shade all day long. I have no lawn experience and am at a loss.

Thanks,

Richard

M.C.L.C.
06-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey rtg, couple things....the grass does need sunlight, so don't have it in the shade all day long. Especially if you have the ability to water it every day then heck sit it in the sun all day. One other thing is Ive treated lawns before where the dogs were consistently going to the bathroom in the same spot, grass will die from the urine. So, thats just my 2cents....

M.C.L.C.
06-16-2007, 02:08 PM
another thing, you might not have to water the grass everyday considering it is inside of basically a big plastic container. Did you compact the dirt down before you put the sod down? You don't want the dirt to be really compact in there, thats bad. Try getting some soil activator or some milorganite and see if that will help out the next round of sod you try. Least it not a huge area of sod eh? :)

rtg20
06-16-2007, 03:18 PM
thanks for the reply! The paddling pool is on our porch/deck so I will move it to a sunnier spot. We didn't pack down the soil underneath it. If dog urine is toxic to grass, maybe artificial grass is the way forward...I wonder what the dogs will think.

thanks again,

Richard

M.C.L.C.
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe, bet the dogs will be confused for a while lol, of course pooping in a swimming pool with grass in it might have been confusing at first too :laugh: