PDA

View Full Version : Does drought shrink grass?

americanlawn
06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I mowed our (one acre) office lawn 3 days ago. It was long & lush, and I had to double cut it. It also left excess clippings after the 2nd cut. Today this lawn is mostly brown. (high temps, full sun, and no rain for some time now) The drought has set in. My home lawn (two acres) is just as tall, and I usually mow both properties the same day, but my home lawn is the only nice-looking GREEN lawn in the neighborhood. Should I mow it? I know it needs it, but I know it will turn brown once I mow it. I'm mowing at 4 inches with a John Deere 727-A 54" zero-turn. Or should I wait to mow??? Thanks.

p.s. Nobody around here waters.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Grass should be mowed frequently......if you let your lawn get real big and then mow it when it is hot you will hurt the turf. However if the lawn if being mowed frequently and it gets very very dry stay off the turf or you will simply kill it in the tire tracks.

americanlawn
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I hear ya. Seems if I wait long enough during hot, dry weather, my grass actually dehydrates and "shrinks" in height too -- making it easier to mow without leaving large amounts of wet clippings. I finally mowed my home lawn this past weekend, and I did not have to double-cut it -- seems the grass blades were dry and not quite as long as they were just a week before. I know I'm lazy...LOL

ealbertson
06-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Cutting it too short under those conditions will cause that to. We usually raise the decks a little when things get hot and dry.