PDA

View Full Version : movie set locations

ffemt1271
06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
i was recently mowing a small set uf apartments( 1 city block, 16 units)
and was told by the police (being paid $20/hr for security) that i would have to stop mowing,period. because thier cameras were picking up my motor noise. even though i was on private property., i had been there 45 minutes before this took place. the production Co. said that it was uillegal for them to do that and paid me for my lost time. has anyone here had any similar experiences like this?

Albemarle Lawn
06-15-2007, 10:32 PM
money fixes everything LOL!

One of Three
06-16-2007, 01:15 AM
My "other job" is a freelance videographer. I've actually heard of companies in LA that all they do is start up their equipment next to productions and wait for a producer to come over with cash in hand. That's how they make their money. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. But I know it's definitely cheaper for the production company to pay someone to stop than to wait for you to finish. Overtime ain't cheap.

huh
06-16-2007, 04:10 AM
my brother did location scouting including for Walker Texas Ranger

if the production company is "on the in" with local officials then they will do pretty much what they like

heve peoples cars towed around the corner to get it out of the scene.....setup in peoples driveway and on their lot when they are out of town only to have them show up in the middle of setting up (and happening to be a lawyer) parking big trucks and RVs all over the place and on and on

I am surprised they pay those LCOs to be quiet in a way because they try and be cheap for locations (that is why a lot of production companies have some nothing name because if someone says Disney wants to film on your street people think cha ching), but then again with the TONS AND TONS of cash that big production companies blow through it is probably easier to hand out a couple hundred here and there and get on with it than to have the cops tell them to be quiet for 2-3 hours

PS movie and TV people in your house will break your **** because they are rushing around with big items :)

Pristine PM
06-16-2007, 08:26 AM
When I was 17 a TV Show on USA Networks was being filmed on my street. I cut the grass for one of the houses that was part of the sitcom. The production company hired me as a location assistant and most of my job was to find out where a lawn mower sound was coming from, track it down, and cut their lawn for free that night. It paid very well and the problem was that I ended up cutting alot of lawns for free because people caught on fast. I didn't mind, and the locations manager couldn't care less. It was a fun summer, the show got cancelled pretty fast though. The War Next Door.

txgrassguy
06-16-2007, 08:32 AM
My crews were doing a major tree clean up several years back in a real high end, $million+sub division, following a nasty storm - older dude approaches and says he can hear our saws. Wants us to stop - daughter is getting married, having a huge catered party, dude is the videographer and is upset about the background noise.
I have five guys at $50.00/hr each plus me at $125/hr = $375/hr plus dump fees and equipment on a cost plus job and I am figuring we are going to be there for the next three hours - plus, if we stop now we have set up time to demobilize/remobilize to the next clean up site - plus our current customer is going to be pissed because we left.
I explain this to the videographer, say it will cost the host a minimum of $500/hour for my crew to break down and relocate. Dude about craps his pants running away.
Fast forward ten minutes and this stuffed shirt waddles over. Starts talking real loud, pointing his finger at me so I reply No Habla Engless Senior. This dude starts screaming about how we are going to ruin his daughter's party and at this commotion the property owner I am working for comes out - I explain everything to the owner - in English - in front of the stuffed shirt and my client says stay at it. Dude freaks and starts swearing at my client, client looks at me and asks if I can make more noise - my reply SURE - so we fire up the 9" chipper and start chipping away.
The next week I see my client again for a different job and he hands me a small envelope. WTF - what's this? A $300 tip for me and $50 each for the crew - client says he never liked that guy and when I told the jerkoff I don't speak english my client was laughing so hard he couldn't breath otherwise he would have been out sooner.