PDA

View Full Version : Big 66 Deck

delphied
06-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Is There A Big Difference In The Ability To Manuever Well With The New Exmark 66 Deck Compared To The 60? Is That Deck A Good Size To Buy Or Is A 60 Better Overall?

Imow4u2
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
The 66 was the answer to my all time ? "Can I run a 72 and utilize it" Well no, the 66 has worked out rather well, we maintain mostly larger accounts 100,000 square and above. We still have a few that are smaller and the 66 works great, it follows the contour better than a 72.. I demoed both and went with the 66, I kick myself in the ass for not getting another this spring instead of the 60..

delphied
06-16-2007, 06:28 PM
What about small lots where a 60 works but you could fit a 66? Does it run as smoothly over contours as the 60 ?

puppypaws
06-16-2007, 09:36 PM
The 66 was the answer to my all time ? "Can I run a 72 and utilize it" Well no, the 66 has worked out rather well, we maintain mostly larger accounts 100,000 square and above. We still have a few that are smaller and the 66 works great, it follows the contour better than a 72.. I demoed both and went with the 66, I kick myself in the ass for not getting another this spring instead of the 60..

If you mow at 15 mph in large areas at 70% efficiency with a 60" deck you will cut 6.36 acres. If you do the exact same thing with a 66" deck you cut 7 acres. This is the first 66" I have owned and I just finished cutting around 10 acres in 2 hrs. and 20 minutes with some aggravating trimming involved with the mower.

You can tell a difference in the amount you cut in open areas with the 66" over your 60" can't you? I know you utilize the speed you have because you run the same mower I do. You are finished and loaded up moving to the next job before most mowers would be half finished.

Imow4u2
06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
If you mow at 15 mph in large areas at 70% efficiency with a 60" deck you will cut 6.36 acres. If you do the exact same thing with a 66" deck you cut 7 acres. This is the first 66" I have owned and I just finished cutting around 10 acres in 2 hrs. and 20 minutes with some aggravating trimming involved with the mower.

You can tell a difference in the amount you cut in open areas with the 66" over your 60" can't you? I know you utilize the speed you have because you run the same mower I do. You are finished and loaded up moving to the next job before most mowers would be half finished.

Yeah it kick ass, but my point is I got the 66 because I CAN use it on all my accounts.. I do have some smaller res. and it works great.. Like I said demo both and you will see the dif.

As for mowing at 15 M.P.H. I never have and you will never hear me speak of it.. Our northern Grasses get cut at 3.5-4 and the XR7 has a tough time at 6-8 M.P.H. I would'nt dream of 15 that's for transport in my neck of the woods....

mag360
06-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the exmarck 66 is offset to the trim side while the hustler 66 is centered.

puppypaws
06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah it kick ass, but my point is I got the 66 because I CAN use it on all my accounts.. I do have some smaller res. and it works great.. Like I said demo both and you will see the dif.

As for mowing at 15 M.P.H. I never have and you will never hear me speak of it.. Our northern Grasses get cut at 3.5-4 and the XR7 has a tough time at 6-8 M.P.H. I would'nt dream of 15 that's for transport in my neck of the woods....

The XR-7 deck does a wonderful job for me on southern grass at 2.75" wide open. If I could not utilize the speed I would be on a different brand mower probably the Bobcat Predator Pro.

I would be on Prozac if I had to cut 8 to 10 mph but the XR-7 at 3.5" will not cut worth a flip with any speed at all, I have seen this. If you watched me cut grass it would blow your mind, I could not stand the thought of having to slow down after being able to run the speed I cut at.

If you have never been able to cut at that kind of speed it want bother you but you can never go back after you get use to that much productivity.

What ever became of the oil consumption problems you mentioned a while back?

tacoma200
06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the exmarck 66 is offset to the trim side while the hustler 66 is centered.

I think your right... I know the triton decks are offset.

puppypaws
06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I think your right... I know the triton decks are offset.

You know the 66" Triton is offset and I know the 66" XR-7 is centered, so question answered.

tacoma200
06-17-2007, 02:17 PM
You know the 66" Triton is offset and I know the 66" XR-7 is centered, so question answered.

I really didn't like the off set but when I posted about it I got shot down really fast. Most that run the off set deck seem to love them. Out in open area's I'll trim with both sides but I can see that the offset would help with trimming. It would just take a bit getting used to.

Hey Puppy paws, it looks like you had some relief from the drought in the last couple of weeks. Hows it looking in your part of NC?

Imow4u2
06-17-2007, 03:07 PM

O.K. so the XR7 is centered... Sure seems that my 66 has more than 3 extra inches of trim than my 60 even with the deeper offset wheels??????

The protrusion of this machine seems just right for cutting the valley out of ditches and banks

Still Consuming oil on a 45-50 hr. change.. Sounds like the fix is to go back to 3600 r's... I'll cut off my left ___ first........

puppypaws
06-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I really didn't like the off set but when I posted about it I got shot down really fast. Most that run the off set deck seem to love them. Out in open area's I'll trim with both sides but I can see that the offset would help with trimming. It would just take a bit getting used to.

Hey Puppy paws, it looks like you had some relief from the drought in the last couple of weeks. Hows it looking in your part of NC?

The corn for the most part is higher than I can reach and the aggravating signal grass is growing like crazy, I hate cutting that junk about worse than anything else.

They are suppose to bring a Bad Boy Lightening here this week for me to use a few days, there was a lot of internal problems with this demo but I hope the company got it straightened out. We have talked several times and supposedly everything is worked out we will see.

puppypaws
06-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Still Consuming oil on a 45-50 hr. change.. Sounds like the fix is to go back to 3600 r's... I'll cut off my left ___ first........

Sorry I missed this, mine has not used any oil to notice in 225 hrs. and I slung a half quart out of it yesterday, I couldn't believe it and it was just from kicking the rpm's up about 150.

I could tell a difference in the go and mow of the machine a good bit with the increased rpm's.

delphied
06-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, I guess Im gonna take a chance on the 66 Triton. A2006 brand new with the dreaded Kohler 30. It had all the mods from the factory so it should be good. I ran it and seemed fine to me the non expert. I cant pass it for 8200 plus tax.

MJB
06-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, I guess Im gonna take a chance on the 66 Triton. A2006 brand new with the dreaded Kohler 30. It had all the mods from the factory so it should be good. I ran it and seemed fine to me the non expert. I cant pass it for 8200 plus tax.

I have the dreaded 30hp Kohler on my Super Z 66" and so farthe biggest drawback is fuel mileage. My 60Lazer Z has a 22HP Kawi L/C engine and it burns about 1/2 as much fuel as the Kohler. But the Kohler is a horse you can feel the power when you start it. The worse thing about mine is I have to choke it to start it 9 times out of ten. Oh yea my trimside is so much better on the 66" Hustler than the 60" Exmark. I would venture to say the 66" in either mower has plenty of deck on the trimside to get around things. Let us know how you like it Exmarks are great mowers too.

delphied
06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Well,Im glad I went with the big 66 over a 60. Its got more deck to the left for trim with a wider cut but still mows like the 60. Havent used it much but it hasnt scalped yet. Im happy.

nuconz
09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
looking for a replacement. have used a hustler z/kaw 25 60" deck & a grasshopper 721.

want somewhere between a 60-72" deck to cut 8 acres. the kaw 25 on the z really drank gas. would like something more economical.

any recommendations?

delphied
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
They all drink gas. My 30 Kohler on the Exmark 66 drinks around 1.5 per hour. You need diesel if your worried about the gas but that isnt practical if you are just a homeowner cutting only 8 acres.

puppypaws
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
looking for a replacement. have used a hustler z/kaw 25 60" deck & a grasshopper 721.

want somewhere between a 60-72" deck to cut 8 acres. the kaw 25 on the z really drank gas. would like something more economical.

any recommendations?

I checked my Kohler 28 efi on the 66" Hustler very precisely and in average to lighter cutting it was at .93 gal. per hr. If you have large open areas and can mow at 15 mph like I am able to a great deal of the time, you will cut so much grass with a gallon of gas it will be of little concern.

nuconz
09-24-2007, 09:43 PM
they all drink gas - that's a bummer.

now that kaw 25 does some work. that hustler z flew like a bat. but it drank about 1.5-2 gal/hour i think, but don't really know. just know that it burns more gas than my 31 diesel tractor.

wonder about the new massey ferguson ztr mowers. the iseki diesel seems to have a top rpm about 2800, in the "normal" diesel range.

delphied
09-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Dont screw up on your mower choice trying to save a bit of gas. Do the math

nuconz
09-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I checked my Kohler 28 efi on the 66" Hustler very precisely and in average to lighter cutting it was at .93 gal. per hr. If you have large open areas and can mow at 15 mph like I am able to a great deal of the time, you will cut so much grass with a gallon of gas it will be of little concern.

what kinda deal on this? is it a super or regular z?

what about the honda engines? aren't they more economical than others?

nuconz
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Dont screw up on your mower choice trying to save a bit of gas. Do the math

not trying to decide solely based on economy, and that's a good point! but it is one factor.

puppypaws
09-24-2007, 10:11 PM
what kinda deal on this? is it a super or regular z?

what about the honda engines? aren't they more economical than others?

Only the Super Z will cut at 15 mph and the Kohler 28 efi is the most fuel efficient engine on a zero turn mower of that size, unless you go to a diesel.

Honda's are nothing special, it would be impossible for a engine to start, run and switch off better than my 28 efi.

nuconz
09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Only the Super Z will cut at 15 mph and the Kohler 28 efi is the most fuel efficient engine on a zero turn mower of that size, unless you go to a diesel.

Honda's are nothing special, it would be impossible for a engine to start, run and switch off better than my 28 efi.

ok, what kinda deal is available on this model hustler?

puppypaws
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
ok, what kinda deal is available on this model hustler?

My dealer was $9799.00 until the Hustler price increase September 1, I have not asked him since then.

nuconz
09-24-2007, 11:24 PM
My dealer was $9799.00 until the Hustler price increase September 1, I have not asked him since then.

been talking to the bobcat dealer. the 72" bobcat is right at $9k, with the choice of kaw 37 or briggs 33. i asked about the pro-cat, but they probably answered on the predator-pro.

this seems to be a real good price and it's almost as fast as the super z. but it's not possible to mow at 15 mph on my property. too bumpy. too many pot holes from pine stumps and the like.

puppypaws
09-25-2007, 12:08 AM
been talking to the bobcat dealer. the 72" bobcat is right at $9k, with the choice of kaw 37 or briggs 33. i asked about the pro-cat, but they probably answered on the predator-pro.

this seems to be a real good price and it's almost as fast as the super z. but it's not possible to mow at 15 mph on my property. too bumpy. too many pot holes from pine stumps and the like.

I have run one of the Predator Pros with the 33, she was quick!

nuconz
09-25-2007, 06:05 AM
I have run one of the Predator Pros with the 33, she was quick!

did you have a chance to check the fuel consumption? probably very thirsty?

puppypaws
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
did you have a chance to check the fuel consumption? probably very thirsty?

No, I did not; Tacoma checked his 31 and posted in this forum at 1.3 which is really amazing when the 25 Kawi probably burns that much or more.

Imow4u2
09-25-2007, 08:08 AM
25 Kaw is 1.1 in heavy cutting, so it's close..

KTO Enterprises
09-25-2007, 11:02 AM
You know its not really the size of the deck but more about how you use it.

nuconz
09-26-2007, 01:01 AM
25 Kaw is 1.1 in heavy cutting, so it's close..

although i didn't and really couldn't measure the kaw 25 on the hustler z, i'm certian that it was more like 1.5 gal/hour. it was a thirsty motor.

is there a table somewhere showing fuel consumption on various mower/motor combinations?

thanks.

Grass Happens
09-26-2007, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1974617]You know its not really the size of the deck but more about how you use it.[/QUOTE
Very true, but it would take a long time to push mow 40 acres...:)

puppypaws
09-26-2007, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1974617]You know its not really the size of the deck but more about how you use it.[/QUOTE
Very true, but it would take a long time to push mow 40 acres...:)

That depends on how many Mexican's you have access to, I could probably have it done in a day....;)

although i didn't and really couldn't measure the kaw 25 on the hustler z, i'm certian that it was more like 1.5 gal/hour. it was a thirsty motor.

is there a table somewhere showing fuel consumption on various mower/motor combinations?

thanks.

That was more in line with what I was thinking, 1.3 to 1.4 range; 1.1 is really amazing.