PDA

View Full Version : New 2 BIZ From Iowa

jce4isu
06-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Here is my plan to enter back into the lawncare buisness I use to do Construction and I'm moving on. What I need to know is i found a great deal on a bluebird arator do I start looking for a professional mower now or should i just focus on aration and fall cleanups is it to late to start looking for accounts now to justify buying a new mower or wait and do aration,fall cleanup and snow plowing? Then buy mower? Any ideas or input would be apreciated! Thanks Joe,

Equipment 2005 Chevy 2500 HD w/ Boss V Plow and Bluebird Arator 424? and spreader.

Bigray
06-16-2007, 07:59 AM
its never too late to start solicating for lawn cust.
work is work, w/ your const. background you can do handyman jobs as well

jce4isu
06-16-2007, 08:38 PM
bump thanks again

LindblomRJ
06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree I would get to aggressive about going into debt to purchase any equipment. However as it heats up and some drop off you might be able to pick up some account.

Why are you giving up on construction?

jce4isu
06-16-2007, 11:46 PM
theres no money in it anymore our friends down south do it so cheap if we charged what they did we would lose $$$$ after we paid tax workers comp ss ins it really sucks :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Bingham Brothers
06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I keep seeing compliants about not being able to compete because of insurance- I pay $1500 a year for workers comp. and $350 a year for liability insurance. Maybe I'm missing something but 2 small properties pay for that. Things do add up but I've been able to run about 45 to 50% gross profit( before taxes) and that is with two fulltime helpers plus myself and my wife bidding/customer service/bookkeeping and anything else needing done. I figure if I can gross over $200k in my second year then I am able to do more then compete-- don't let them get you down

jce4isu
06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
bump to the top

LindblomRJ
06-18-2007, 11:33 PM
The same problem you faced in construction may become a problem in your area soon. I am not certain what you have in Des Moines.

Its not to late to start. Are you going to strictly maintenance or are you going to delve into other parts of landscaping? If you do good work and are reliable you should do fine.

With a plow you should be able to work nearly year around.