PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 08 F450 today!!!

stevo22
06-16-2007, 02:10 AM
went ahead and bit the bullet...i know a 450 is aalot of truck for cutting grass, but to be honest i have been thinking about getting out of the grass business and starting a framing/construction co...i did not just get it for work stuff...we will be trading our travel trailer up to a pretty big fifth wheel in a few yrs...

i drove the 08 250,350drw,and the 450...the 250 did ride extremely nice...the 350 drove good as well, turning radius was poor...the 450 rode better than the 350, not as good as the 250...turning radius on the 450 blows away the 250 and 350...

let me tell you this, this thing is saaawwweeeeet...by far the nicest thing i have ever had...almost hate putting any miles on it at all...i like just looking at it...the thing is a beast...hope it holds up well as much as i paid for the durn thing...i did use x plan pricing so it turned out to be an ok deal i guess...

cpel2004
06-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Congrats, I'm quite sure you deserve it. Best of Luck! Post some pics of that beast!

02DURAMAX
06-16-2007, 03:15 AM
congrats!!....post some pics i would like to see it..

jce4isu
06-16-2007, 04:10 AM
do not go into the framing biz i jus got out and went into lawn care there is noooo money in it around here

Gravel Rat
06-16-2007, 04:10 AM
The 08s are a little on the ugly side especially the XL trucks with the black grill which really excentuates the upside down headlight configuration.

The XLT grill hides it a little but the 08s are growing on me. They don't look as bad as the pictures. Would I buy a 6.4 diesel probably not I don't like the idea anytime you need to do major work on the engine the cab has to come off. I also don't like the twin turbo idea more expense also the diesel option now adds almost 9 grand for canadian trucks. The price of a regular cab F-450-F-550 cab and chassis 2wd with a 165 wheelbase is well over 50 grand.

Anyhow good luck with the truck is it gas or diesel ?

stevo22
06-16-2007, 07:45 AM
The 08s are a little on the ugly side especially the XL trucks with the black grill which really excentuates the upside down headlight configuration.

The XLT grill hides it a little but the 08s are growing on me. They don't look as bad as the pictures. Would I buy a 6.4 diesel probably not I don't like the idea anytime you need to do major work on the engine the cab has to come off. I also don't like the twin turbo idea more expense also the diesel option now adds almost 9 grand for canadian trucks. The price of a regular cab F-450-F-550 cab and chassis 2wd with a 165 wheelbase is well over 50 grand.

Anyhow good luck with the truck is it gas or diesel ?

i di not realize that forde made the 450 with a gas motor...i do have the 6.4...re the looks, to each his own i guess...i really like the appearance and stance of it...the front headlights are "ok"...the front grill is chrome...sp.

twj721
06-16-2007, 08:44 AM
we lloked and priced 1 and the price was not that much more than a f 250 so IMOM it was really a better deal but too much money for us at this time so we went with a 05 Dodge with 36000 miles still trying to rig it out got full cover clear plastic overlay installed along with seat covers done this week am planning on doing Line X bed liner next week and installing tool box then I be set Good luck on your new Ford Post some pictures and let me drool and show my wife so she can slap the crap out of me for even looking at another truck :laugh: had to beg and sweet talk her into the Dodge :cry: To her the sellling point was it was a standard tranny and the bettter fuel mileage

GreenN'Clean
06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
congrats!!! Can you post a few pics of the new beast???

TXNSLighting
06-16-2007, 05:03 PM
man i cant wait to get my new ford! i did the same thing as twj, just highly regret it. it doesnt get near the fuel mileage as my powerstroke did. fun to drive, but thats it. the truck is of course a dodge, and 40,000 miles later its already fallin apart. but the cummins is still doin good. ill get my new ford at the end of december, (for tax reasons). good luck with your truck! i know you'll love it! and get some pics up here!

T.E.
06-16-2007, 06:52 PM
man i cant wait to get my new ford! i did the same thing as twj, just highly regret it. it doesnt get near the fuel mileage as my powerstroke did. fun to drive, but thats it. the truck is of course a dodge, and 40,000 miles later its already fallin apart. but the cummins is still doin good. ill get my new ford at the end of december, (for tax reasons). good luck with your truck! i know you'll love it! and get some pics up here!

not to hijack the thread, but what fuel milage do you get in your dodge? i get21+mpg on the hwy.

The new fords are good looking but i could never live with myself owning a pwrstrk after owning a cummins. JMO

RedMax Man
06-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Congrats on the new rig. I'm sure it's a super crew. looking forward to some pics.

FearThisDeere
06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I can't wait to see pics of that beast. Congrats! You can never have too much of a truck.

Rob.C
06-17-2007, 12:58 PM
not to be ignorant, but anyone who thinks a cummins will beat a powerstroke is crazy, I just bought a 2008 f-350 superduty lariat dully crew cab, and had to go pick my friend up because is dodge was not running for the 3rd time. I am not saying dodge trucks are a piece of ****, but there diesel sucks, they wouldnt even compare to a power stroke, not even close. My dad has sold cars for over 35 years, he said the same thing, the new f series ford is number #1 period the end.

TXNSLighting
06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
not to hijack the thread, but what fuel milage do you get in your dodge? i get21+mpg on the hwy.

The new fords are good looking but i could never live with myself owning a pwrstrk after owning a cummins. JMO

i get 14mpg hwy. thats cruise at 65 mph! so i much prefer the powerstroke. all mine got atleast 18 hwy.

TXNSLighting
06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
not to be ignorant, but anyone who thinks a cummins will beat a powerstroke is crazy, I just bought a 2008 f-350 superduty lariat dully crew cab, and had to go pick my friend up because is dodge was not running for the 3rd time. I am not saying dodge trucks are a piece of ****, but there diesel sucks, they wouldnt even compare to a power stroke, not even close. My dad has sold cars for over 35 years, he said the same thing, the new f series ford is number #1 period the end.

i cant even count how many powerstrokes have beat me!! and ive got a good chip on mine! i put it on the 80 extra horse power setting, and got smoked by a stock 05 king ranch f-350! i was embarrased. but he won fair and square...o well.

jtkplc
06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
i cant even count how many powerstrokes have beat me!! and ive got a good chip on mine! i put it on the 80 extra horse power setting, and got smoked by a stock 05 king ranch f-350! i was embarrased. but he won fair and square...o well.

That's because the Cummins is made for pulling. Hook up 10K with each truck and the Powerjoke won't come out on top. I've driven a 6.0 and my Cummins 600 with the same load and the Powerjoke is gutless when it comes to pulling unless you floor it. Empty, the 6.0 is a screamer, but I don't buy a diesel to race, I buy it to pull.

twj721
06-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I loaded up this morning and this was the 1st time with this trailer and equipment with new used truck I was totally impressed with truck

TXNSLighting
06-17-2007, 11:09 PM
i had a 6.0 before this cummins, and it pulled much better than mine now. mine pulls ok on the highway, but it takes forever to get around town with a bobcat on. the ford pulled great off the line, and the highway and it got much better fuel mileage.

SiteSolutions
06-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Rear End ratio and tire size make a big difference in off-the-line grunt and pulling around town. My 6.0 F-350 has the 3.73 gears in it. Pulls pretty good, but it would pull harder with the 4.11 gears. Fuel mileage would of course take a hit. I would like to see those mpg numbers and subjective pulls / doesn't pull statements with gear ratios and tire sizes to more fully understand the situation.

mag360
06-18-2007, 10:47 PM
General consensus is the Cummins is the bigger, better, more reliable motor.
The Ford torqshift trans is the equalizer because it gets the power to the wheels where it counts and Ford trucks are built as well and probably better than any others.

The dodge auto trans robs power until you get up to speed and the converter locks up. With a manual trans, the cummins will out tow most trucks within its class.

twj721 loves his cummins with the six speed
texaslawn doesn't like his -- safe bet he's got the automatic tranny.

02DURAMAX
06-18-2007, 11:14 PM

I would buy a Cummins Over a PowerJoke anyday!!!!!....Powerjokes seem to have too many problems..

T.E.
06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I would buy a Cummins Over a PowerJoke anyday!!!!!....Powerjokes seem to have too many problems..

Yes look at the lawsuit ford is in with their diesel supplier. There have been untold number of problems with the 6.0 diesel in the 04,05,06 trucks.

twj721
06-18-2007, 11:40 PM
If FORD could ever offer the Cummins as a option then they would be the best truck out there . LIke the Ford body but the 6.0 is a ticking money pit you just try to get rid of the the truck before the 5 yr or 100,000 mile warranty ends

Rob.C
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe a 07 but my new 08 would make a cummins look like a baby, whats the tongue weight oh lets see I have them right here on the chevy you have......ford f350 =max tow 18700/ chevy 13600....ford max payload 5750/ chevy 3217.....standard GVWR on ford 12600...chevy 9200....maximum GVWR on ford 13000.....chevy 9200, U can add about 2500 lbs to every number here on my truck, I have to say ford wins, dodge only has a couple hundred more than u, dont take this the wrong way I think all 3 trucks here are great trucks, but the new power stroke will roast them all and out pull them all, I proved that to my buddys dodge, no contest.

02DURAMAX
06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Maybe a 07 but my new 08 would make a cummins look like a baby, whats the tongue weight oh lets see I have them right here on the chevy you have......ford f350 =max tow 18700/ chevy 13600....ford max payload 5750/ chevy 3217.....standard GVWR on ford 12600...chevy 9200....maximum GVWR on ford 13000.....chevy 9200, U can add about 2500 lbs to every number here on my truck, I have to say ford wins, dodge only has a couple hundred more than u, dont take this the wrong way I think all 3 trucks here are great trucks, but the new power stroke will roast them all and out pull them all, I proved that to my buddys dodge, no contest.

To bad your to far away to whos would pull more.....I have a friend that has one a hates it.....it has broken down on him twice in the three months that he's had it....and i out pull him towing a Ls190 skid steer when he had just bought it.

02DURAMAX
06-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Go to this link and read about the truck pull-offs they do every year with all three trucks....Every year the Duramax come's out on top...They will be doing this years pull-off in july again...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

Rob.C
06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I had a duramax andf it wouldnt come close to pulling my 20,000 lb trailer, we als have to figure I have a top of the line truck and it also a dually, with heavier springs and boss tow package, but other stock dually still pulls the 20,000 lb trailer like nothing the duramax struggled, but I am also a chevy guy, these 2 trucks will blow away a dodge no problem.

TXNSLighting
06-19-2007, 09:44 AM
General consensus is the Cummins is the bigger, better, more reliable motor.
The Ford torqshift trans is the equalizer because it gets the power to the wheels where it counts and Ford trucks are built as well and probably better than any others.

The dodge auto trans robs power until you get up to speed and the converter locks up. With a manual trans, the cummins will out tow most trucks within its class.

twj721 loves his cummins with the six speed
texaslawn doesn't like his -- safe bet he's got the automatic tranny.

i wish it was automatic...but it is a 6 speed...

TXNSLighting
06-19-2007, 09:48 AM

i agree, i have driven an 08, and hands down it would tear up a duamax, and cummins. And my friend has a new 08, just strapped 19 round bails on the 32 ft. good god. still climbed hills no problem. still kicked ya back in the seat also. ive driven many a duramaxes and theres no way any of them could keep up with the 08 powerstroke.

FearThisDeere
06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Does this always have to turn into a Ford vs. Dodge vs. GM thing? steveo22 bought an F450, he isn't looking for opinions. Congats on the new truck!

02DURAMAX
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
i agree, i have driven an 08, and hands down it would tear up a duamax, and cummins. And my friend has a new 08, just strapped 19 round bails on the 32 ft. good god. still climbed hills no problem. still kicked ya back in the seat also. ive driven many a duramaxes and theres no way any of them could keep up with the 08 powerstroke.

And why did you buy a CUMMINS?!:hammerhead: if you don't like them?:dizzy:

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Congrats on the new truck. And good choice, as a former Dodge mechanic let me just say that the much heralded cummins is the only thing dodge trucks have going for them. The Dirtymax, well, don't get me started. The stroke used to be the stuff, then they cut it's nuts off. So all the trucks have their issues, but the ford is by far better fit, finish, quality of components(exterior and interior), and looks the best.

TXNSLighting
06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
And why did you buy a CUMMINS?!:hammerhead: if you don't like them?:dizzy:

i didnt know they were as bad then! i was tryin it out, to see what all the hype is. and i do like the cummins, its just not as good as my previous powerstrokes. im just speaking from experience.

stevo22
06-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Does this always have to turn into a Ford vs. Dodge vs. GM thing? steveo22 bought an F450, he isn't looking for opinions. Congats on the new truck!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
was wondering when someone was going to say this...i was just enjoying the debate...i always have enjoyed everyone putting their 2,3,4 or 5 cents worth in who has the best diesel...

i have been lurking around some of the diesel boards and have not really seen hardly any issues from the 6.4...one of my best friends neighbor is a service mgr at a dealership, the powertrain dept at that...he stated that the 6.4 seems to not be having any issues thus far...i hope that i get many many trouble free miles...hit just passed 600miles today...got a guy at the lake that said if you want to know what she's made out of let me borrow it to pull 14 round bales...i looked at him and said, how much does a bale weigh..oh, bout 1500..well if my math is correct that's only 21k, you sure you don't need a few more???he looked at me about as crazy as i looked at him when he asked to borrow it...what an idiot...

wish the mileage was a tick better, but then again, i did not buy it for mpg...i bought it because i really like the styling, both interior and exterior...aside from the styling i guess the power, and options also came into play...for what i paid, i guess i could have almost bought anything i wanted within reason...so far so good...its hard to keep my foot out of it...it turns heads at every stop light and every cross street...i really need to get some pics up...

Rob.C
06-20-2007, 01:16 AM
I have to say best truck I have ever bought, so many awsome features, congrats on new truck, I only have 237 miles on mine.:weightlifter:

TXNSLighting
06-20-2007, 10:02 AM
congrats, i know you will love it.

POPO4995
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the new ride! I'm sure it was an even trade between you and the dealer: Here's a F450 for you, and thank you for your checkbook!:) Congrats!

FearThisDeere
06-20-2007, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=stevo22;1870110i was just enjoying the debate...i always have enjoyed everyone putting their 2,3,4 or 5 cents worth in who has the best diesel...
QUOTE]

I guess I enjoy it too, everybody is so hellbent on their's is the best!

RedMax Man
06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=stevo22;1870110i was just enjoying the debate...i always have enjoyed everyone putting their 2,3,4 or 5 cents worth in who has the best diesel...
QUOTE]

I guess I enjoy it too, everybody is so hellbent on their's is the best!

Nothing like seeing these guys rip each other apart over truck brands. Grow up guys there are more important things to argue.:rolleyes: :) I'd love to see you all have a contest, only problem is i don't think it would turn out to pretty.:laugh:

FearThisDeere
06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
If there was a contest there would be many broken trucks and egos! I'd say, just do you research and buy what you like. Even the most reliable truck will have it's issues and the worst truck will have it's strong points.

Idealtim
06-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Congrats on the new truck!!!

There was a 97 ford f350 crew cab on ebay last week with a cummins in it, he must of swaped the powerstroke out and put the cummins in. I should have posted the listing on here, would of made a thread 8 pages long on who's the best!!!

twj721
06-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the new truck!!!

There was a 97 ford f350 crew cab on ebay last week with a cummins in it, he must of swaped the powerstroke out and put the cummins in. I should have posted the listing on here, would of made a thread 8 pages long on who's the best!!!

I saw a F250 do nt rememember year model but it was on ebay that had a detroit diesel 6V92 with a 13 spd tranny in there also