PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa trimmer issues? help

SoloSulkySurfer
06-16-2007, 01:23 AM
I have had two problems with my T-231 in the past two weeks. First I had troulble starting the trimmer when hot. I replaced the plug and the seemed to help although I dont know if that was the original problem. Now the trimmer head continues to spin when my fingers are off the trottle. Carb problems? Any other ideas? If it is the carb what can I do to fix it. I rather work on it myself instead of paying somebody. I should also mention the trimmer is only a year old.

naturescape
06-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Head spinning when no throttle....... bad clutch.

Not starting right? What oil are you using? Shin One? Avoid it!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-16-2007, 09:10 AM
The head spinning is idle adjustment,there are no screws to tune the carb, on some of the old trimmers there were screws in the top.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
I had the same problem with the t230 and t231s
,i have some we run that are funny to start we went with max and have been satisfied.

SoloSulkySurfer
06-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I use Stihl oil but I dont think that was my problem. I'm wondering if a carb problem might be the cause of both issues.

smcunningham
06-16-2007, 10:47 AM
head still spinning adjust the idle screw down untill it stops spinning....
hard starting is 9 times out of ten caused by the screen (spark arrester getting accessiive build up....take the muffler off and clean the screen or throw it out you don't really need it unless your trimming in an enviroment where its excessively dry and a fire could be easily started
My m231 started having hard starting issues threw the screen out last year not a problem since

ACEMowing
06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I have had two problems with my T-231 in the past two weeks. First I had troulble starting the trimmer when hot. I replaced the plug and the seemed to help although I dont know if that was the original problem. Now the trimmer head continues to spin when my fingers are off the trottle. Carb problems? Any other ideas? If it is the carb what can I do to fix it. I rather work on it myself instead of paying somebody. I should also mention the trimmer is only a year old.

Make sure you use an NGK spark plug... we had one that was a bear to start when it was warmed up and no one could figure it out. We finally replaced the Champion plug with an NGK and that totally cured it.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Good one,i never figured why a Japanese trimmer used American plugs.

Oldtimer
06-16-2007, 12:51 PM
naturescape
LawnSite Bronze Member Join Date: Nov 2001

Head spinning when no throttle....... bad clutch.

Not starting right? What oil are you using? Shin One? Avoid it!

This is a strong statement against Shindaiwa oil.

Would you please post your data to prove your statement.

Oldtimer

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-16-2007, 01:22 PM
True all top ope oils are good.

stick9
06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
We were having problems with the spark guards in the exhaust port completely blocking up with carbon. After a good cleaning, trimmers worked like new again.