PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an older trimmer starter recoil T25 Shindaiwa

markk
06-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Can anyone help me?? I cant seem to recoil this darn spring the correct way. The other day i was pulling the string i think i may have pulled it to far out so it wouldnt recoil back in. Well I took it apart and of course now i do not know the correct way to reinstall all the parts. I got close. I had it recoiling in but had alot of string left that didnt go in all the way.

Anyone know of a webpage or someplace that would have info or pics on how to do it. Thanks

AAELI
06-16-2007, 04:21 AM
If you have it back together but have a length of starter rope hanging then take a look inside the recoil assy and pull the additional slack rope back inside and align the rope in the notch that is in the reel and wind up the rope a turn or two until there is tension on the spring. As you pull the rope in the notch past the hole where the handle is hold onto the reel and pull the handle until the rope is extended (pulling it out of the notch) and then release handle. If there is still some rope hanging out .. repeat until you have the job done.

Looking down at the recoil assy here is the order of items to go back inside:
Recoil Spring(on 25's it is enclosed in a 'can')
reel with rope attached
pawl or ratchet
return spring ( on reel)
spring on metal retaining cap
metal cap
screw

Hope this helps.

markk
07-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.

My spring was about crap so i ended up buying one off ebay for like $6 or so and now i have it all back together but it wont "Catch" i guess you could say. If i let let it snap back in when pulling it it will catch that time but not always.

Seems like it if tighten the screw inside the recoil it will catch but then it wont recoil easy. I hope this makes sense.

Do i need to grease the hell out of it or should i not grease it at all? I just dont get it, ive been playing with it for 2 hours and ready to go nuts soon.:cry: Any help would be appreciated.

markk
07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Well i tried a million different thing and for some reason its not working correct. I guess im gonna try to buy all new guts for the recoil or maybe take it someplace to be serviced. For an old whip this thing is nice and has alot of power its a bummer it wont work for me now.

AAELI
07-04-2007, 09:38 AM
It sounds like you are not able to properly tighten the internals all the way. That usually means that the recoil spring isn't allowing the reel to fully seat which causes the whole kit to bind when you crank down on the screw that holds it all down.

You really need to make sure that the reel sits below the center post before you tighten down the top pieces.

Try again!

I usually charge $15 for the service which takes about 5 min. to accomplish. After 20 years of doing them they are quite easy. It took a few that first year to get the system down pat.

Hope you get the antique running. I still have a few carbs laying around the shop for the occaisional 25 that finds it way in. They are decent units.