PDA

View Full Version : our shop was broken into!!

ACA L&L
06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Well our shop that we moved into in Jan was robbed on wednesday!

The place has a gated entry, cameras and remotes for entry, exit is motion. All they did was cut the bolt that is connected to the chain that moves the the gate back and forth when signaled. Backed a vehicle into the overhead door to get it off the rails.
They made away with the aerators (2)
4 stihl trimmers with all the attachments
4 blowers
3 chainsaws one was an o88 magnum old school stihl
and a crap load of tools
my walker was at my house getting fixed as well as some brand new equipment i just picked up that day!!

The keys were still in my work trucks as well as 10 toro 21"

it almost seems like they were filling an order for someone, the kicker is two of my guys were no call no show the morning of, cops didnt seem to care to much i dont even remember giving them there names, they both had only been there about two weeks? The cameras were not set up yet, insurance is giving me a hassle!!

I tell ya what 5 years ago and this would of put me out of biz!!! Thats that, thought i would share.

Oh yeah on another note i got my truck back from the state about a month ago( a guy got pulled over for dui and the state seized it). they say bad luck comes in threes, im just wonderibg what the f^^k is next!!

MOturkey
06-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear this. I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but it certainly seems a coincidence regarding the new employees.

Kind of like my next door neighbor, an elderly gentleman. He's into woodworking, and had a new upright air compressor, among other stuff in his garage. Well, his girlfriend and him parted ways, so she moved back to St. Louis and had a moving company move her. A couple of guys, probably 20, did the actual moving. Less than a week later, someone cleaned out his garage, stealing the air compressor and a bunch of other stuff. Even stole some meat out of his freezer.

Now, I'm not saying those two young men had anything to do with it, but who else would have known what he had in there?

Hope you get your stuff back, or at least that insurance comes through.

Sandgropher
06-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Could be an inside job, i would be watching those two employees very closely for signs of nervousness etc over the coming week. :)

fiveoboy01
06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Dude that stinks.

Of course the insurance company is being a pain. They'll kill if they don't get their premiums but when it comes to pay up, their rear ends sure do tighten up.

I hope you get your stuff back, or at least catch whoever did it.

Vikings
06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Watch your self. I know this guy who had his shed broken into and they stole his snowblowers. So he bought new ones the same day because he's in the biz.. They came the very next night and stole them as well.

I can't believe people would risk going to jail for this kind of crap, it's like one of the temp guys I hired, over a few days he kept telling me more and more about himself. He just got out of jail, can't smoke in jail but started smoking soon as he got out. He wanted an advance so he could go party and he missed his parole meeting or whatever it's called. So I said why would you miss that for something so stupid. He told me they would only put him back in jail for two weeks and he said it like it meant nothing to him.

JJG84
06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
sounds like a big bunch of insurance scammers.

if thats what it takes to get discounted equipment then hell, come up with a heist!

outlaw1960
06-16-2007, 11:02 PM
post the serial numbers, if some one see's them they can call them in to your police dept.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Send all the serial numbers of the stolen equip. to all your local police departments, pawn shops, and LCOs. The pawn shops are required at the end of the day to send a report to the police dept. of all the serial numbers of items that came in that day. Some of the LCOs may look out for you and check before they buy any "used" equip. Good luck on getting everything back to normal!!!!

Sandgropher
06-17-2007, 02:01 AM
A good idea is to engrave your stuff, put down your drivers licence number or something.

cpel2004
06-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Yeah boss that was an inside JOB. Check your local pawn shop. I wish you the best of luck.

Horsepower Lawns
06-17-2007, 08:43 AM
some brand new equipment i just picked up that day!!

Where did you get that new stuff? Can you trust them?

New Heights
06-17-2007, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine had an enclosed trailer stolen with all of his new equipment in it. He was getting nowhere with the police and insurance co. He wound placing an ad in the local news paper. He stated the equipmet was stolen, it was a family biz, now he could not work and offered a reward. Some one turned the guys in that took the trailer, they were selling the pieces out the back a couple towns away. They also found out other companies were robed by the same guys. I would try to contact other local contractors and equipment shops and let them know whats up. I hope this helps

J&T Kiev
06-17-2007, 11:17 AM
In April, I had two backpack blowers stolen(two red max 8000's), the kicker, they were stolen while my daughter and me were at a Church account. I've had trimmer's, and back-back's stolen out on the job, I have never experienced the rude awaking of having my shop broken into, and cleaned out. I think, I agree with the posters suspicions of your worker's no show the morning of the theft, particularly so, with the two being relatively new hires.

Vikings
06-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Were those two new hires friends?

PerfectEarth
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
F****** THIEVES!!! Man, there's nothing worse. NOTHING.

Two weeks ago I had a brand new Stihl BR 600 and a brand new Stihl HS 81 T trimmer stolen out of my garage. Along with tools and some DeWalt stuff.

By mistake, I left the door open all night- my truck was even in front of the garage- it was dark and blocked. Had to be someone who knew I had power equipment. My insurance has been good, the police acted like they were being troubled by taking the report.

It's just depressing that people are so low and pathetic.

jsf343
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
WOW! sorry to hear that. If I were you I would definitely check local pawn shops and Craig's list(on the web) to watch for your stuff to show up. As others have said it almost sounds like an inside job going on, watch and listen for anything from your employees. That is very frustrating for you, hope it does not cripple your operation.

Jeff

ACA L&L
06-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Its been a tuogh week!!
Ive been on the phone non stop with other companies(some were cool others could care less) Been mowing for 12 years here last 9 on my own! Im on a first name basis with all of the dealers here in town, hell we have done work for almost all of them. Over the years weve seemed to follow certain guys from place to place, mech. front desk people, etc. No one has heard anything as of late, craigslist and ebay are a negative so far. As for the guys they showed up later that day one was complaing that the other gets paid more than him, they hung out the night before drinking and started talking about the job? They were both sent home for the week. Met with each that weekend and terminated both for being late numerous times and discussing their pay with eachother which was the first thing they were told not to do once they were hired. One was refered by a friend the other by an ad in the paper. Both seemed unphased by the whole thing. The difference in pay was .50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had a few guys come through since We moved in and im guessing it was one of them but like I said the 5 o did not seem to care who i suspected only interested in when the last time i saw the shop locked up. I have since moved back to my house, wife hates it alot. equipment everywhere trucks everywhere, i know icant stay here for long but im Scared to say the least to leave my bizness unattended overnite, Thinking about downsizing so we can fit........................alright im done, im thinking whoever did will slip up and try to sell to one of my buddies.
:usflag: One can hope

cpel2004
06-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Lawnzilla, screw them dont let those thieves impact your business. Listen i know you have been busy and its hard to really think clearly but dont let those bastards determine your any aspect of your business. Our work is to hard to let some lazy a** determine your next business move. Figure it out maybe it will cost you a little more but dont decrease your operation because of them.

I guess in this business if your around long enough your going to get ripped off soon or later. This LCO told me he had his entire trailer stolen well over 20k of equipment. He recovered and you will too. I wish you and your family the best of luck. They way you made it sound maybe the should have stolen your wife instead of your equipment. So of those close to us at times don't have a clue about this thing of ours.

ACA L&L
06-21-2007, 01:22 AM
I agree! If anything after 10 years of ups and downs this was the worst! I come from a large family where everyone worked till they left the house. From the time i was in kindergarten, till the day i left for college, i was on the boat picking fish out of nets, hell id still be doing it if they didnt take the all the fishing lic. away from our family up in lake michigan(the fish population was depleted and they did not renew the lic. about 15 years ago). Born and raised on lake michigan commercial fishing!

I dont think i could ever downsize it just doesnt make sense. I got alot of mouths to feed and eventually get them into college................This thing we have enables us all to enjoy life by having alot of cool money making toys!!The little misses will get over it once we do the billing here in a few days!!:clapping: