PDA

View Full Version : Casters?

MOturkey
06-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I just last week sold my old Gravely, a 50 inch, and bought a new 60 inch with the new X-Factor deck and XDZ package.

The new deck, is of course, heavier, not only from the size, but the extra metal they are putting in them. They also have reconfigured the machines somewhat so that more weight is on the front end. I know this because using the Jungle Jack on my old one was a breeze, with the new machine, it is putting a strain on my back, and I may have to find some other method to raise the mower.

Ah, but I digress. The front tires on the old mower were considerably smaller than the caster tires on the new one, I'm assuming because of the increased weight load. On the old mower, the caster tires were somewhat rounded in profile, and when maneuvering, such as reversing direction so the tires would spin, turf damage was minimal to non-existant, depending upon the condition of the turf, and how wet the ground was.

The tires on the new mower are much "flatter" so there is a greatly enlarged footprint, and I found myself causing turf damage every time the tires reversed direction (it has been wet here). I've tried to counteract this by avoiding directly backing up, but rather "swinging" the front a little, so the tires follow an arc, doing the same when turning at the end of a run.

I was just wondering if others have noticed this with other heavy mowers, and how you coped with it. Neill

Envy Lawn Service
06-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Jack your mower up and see how freely the casters rotate.

That could be the issue.

GravelyGuy
06-17-2007, 02:42 AM
It is not a problem at all on dry grass or damp grass for me. I have noticed it during a rain or immediatley after one though. Not a huge deal, I hate mowing when it is wet. I try to find something else to do. The 260Z's are a beast of a mower.

Envy Lawn Service
06-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Why any MFG uses ribbed tires on the from of a ZTR is beyond me.

I totally understand the benefits of the taller 15" fronts.
I just wish a tire maker would make 15x6-6 SMOOTH.