PDA

View Full Version : Help with Poison Ivy!

JJG84
06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, I have poison ivy and it just started to spread rampant on my body :cry: . Its been about 1-1.5 weeks since i noticed my first dot of it, and now it has worked its way to unusual spots.

I have been using some external spray on it which controls redness and itch, but I dont think its working much.

ANYONE HAVE ANY PERSONAL REMEDIES???

mverick
06-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Yep,

Go to the doctor and get the steroids for it.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Man up and use clorox. It will cost you $1 and it works.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-17-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with both If the unusal area are what I am think I would do the doctor. Normal the clorox is the first option for me. Goos luck:waving:

extremerc76
06-17-2007, 12:29 PM
might sound crazy, but put a little diesel on a rag and wipe it on the area you have it. the diesel will dry the poison ivy out just like it dries your skin out without the poision ivy. thats the way i get rid of it when i got it, it actually works for me. your skin will smell like diesel for a while though

joshlawn
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Another home remedy is to use LYE soap. Works rather well, and you won't have to put any dangerous chemicals on your skin.

dougmartin2003
06-18-2007, 02:00 AM
when i was a kid i used to get into it all the time and had to go to the doctor every year to get shots. after about 6 years of getting shots it doesnt bother me anymore, but my wife got into it and she used bleach on it and it went away

SoloSulkySurfer
06-18-2007, 02:09 AM
I was in your situation last year. I messed with the poison ivy for a week then finally went to the doctor. I got the steroid shot (1st shot ever in my butt lol), steroid pills and creme. Its amazing how quickly the itching stops. I would go to the doctor tomorrow if I was you. Its not worth suffering.

Just as an added fact the customer (one of my 1st customers from way back) that owned the house where I got the poison ivy found out that I had the poison ivy and insisted on paying for my medical bills. I told him it was OK but he insisted so I asked him to pay half.

Uranus
06-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I get it several times per year. I went to the docs and got some prednizone for it. I usualy use half the perscrition and save the rest for the next time I think I really need it. If you have it on little jjg84 then you should see a doc. But hey. If you've had it for a week and a half, then its about ready to dry up.

The best remody is to learn what it looks like and identify where it is so next time you dont get into it.

BQLC
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
bleach works doctor is faster and if it has spread that much GO TO THE DOCTOR.

JJG84
06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
The best remody is to learn what it looks like and identify where it is so next time you dont get into it.

Uranus -

I know exactly what it looks like, which is the thing. I HAD to spray approximately 2 acres of brush hogged land with weedkiller. They paid well, so I sucked it up and just did it, not really caring too much about the adverse effects. Oh, and I did it all in shorts! (GOD THAT WAS DUMB!)

While I was spraying it, I noticed every type of poisonus plant : sumac, ivy, oak.

I hadn't gotten it in a while, so I forgot how irritating it actually is, and figured it wouldnt be too bad IF i did get it.

well i got it, and here I am.

I went to CVS Pharmacy and picked up some poison ivy spray called "Ivy-Dry Super" which basically consists of menthol, Zytrel, Zinc Acetate, and Campor. I want to get the steroids, but im an anti-medication type of person.

It temporarily relieves the itching, and somewhat dries it out.

I am still itching though.

hopefully it ends soon! If not, Im definitely going to have to give in to the steroids.

Giantpumpkin
06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
I say go get the steroids. I just broke out with poison ivy this morning and already went the doctor. It works really good. I usally tough it out but I too have on that not so fun place and was no going to mess around. That Ivy dry that you bought does stop the itching but it doesn't last very long, you will be using it alot.

mverick
06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Uranus -

I know exactly what it looks like, which is the thing. I HAD to spray approximately 2 acres of brush hogged land with weedkiller. They paid well, so I sucked it up and just did it, not really caring too much about the adverse effects. Oh, and I did it all in shorts! (GOD THAT WAS DUMB!)

While I was spraying it, I noticed every type of poisonus plant : sumac, ivy, oak.

I hadn't gotten it in a while, so I forgot how irritating it actually is, and figured it wouldnt be too bad IF i did get it.

well i got it, and here I am.

I went to CVS Pharmacy and picked up some poison ivy spray called "Ivy-Dry Super" which basically consists of menthol, Zytrel, Zinc Acetate, and Campor. I want to get the steroids, but im an anti-medication type of person.

It temporarily relieves the itching, and somewhat dries it out.

I am still itching though.

hopefully it ends soon! If not, Im definitely going to have to give in to the steroids.

If ya get hot and sweety again it's gonna spread worse.

Get the steroids. I don't like pills either. But, it is gonna cost ya money for jobs cause ya can't do em.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL839/4414135/9828347/260512780.jpg

JJG84
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM
thanks for the .jpg prestige, that was definitely what was scattered horaciously throughout that last side job.

dumb me for thinking im superman :weightlifter:

RICHIE K
06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
I use bleach

daveintoledo
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
i have way too many bush trimming jobs to have this crap a second longer then needed...... gonna get the shot....:cry:

ivy was hidden in shoulder high bushes, deep in the center 3 feet back, so while trimming the tops, you couldnt see the ivy.....

MJS
06-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Take poison ivy; seriously, there are places that sell poison ivy in little capsules. I used to get it several times every year (and I got it bad) but when I started taking the poison ivy pills, it goes away. Now I think that the pills build up your resistance to it, and is avaliable over the counter. Seriously, has anyone else ever tried this?