PDA

View Full Version : Speaking with other LCO - thread mentioned earlier

meets1
06-16-2007, 11:57 PM
There was a recent thread here about talking to other LCO's. I don't do much of that but the masses on lawnsite think you should so I tried!

Mowing commercial lot, next LCo is mowing a condo- we meet at the property line.This guys is in his late 60's and tells me that my toro Z is no good cuz it leaves marks when I turn - compared to his new 540JD garden tractor. I say hey - nice mower - he says yup - wrote a check for 10K - I din't have borrow or claim bankruptcy. I am like ok, whatever. He then tells me he never mows short either - his deck height was set at 2.75 on his dial. This account we were mowing - lush grass, nice and green - we don't even put the deck down! I am like 3 inches taller than his yard.

He proceeds to tell me he does 22 - 25 yards a day. He is mowing a 8 plex condo (whatever you want to call it) I ask is this one yard or 8 yards - his reply 8 yards.

Then he tells me that anyday I want to playball - he'll take all my accounts cuz not only does he mow better, he is cheaper!

I am at a loss on how to explain his mowing practise's. To me he mows like a farmer (at least in my area) blow all clipping to the outside and just keep going in circles. Then his price - he tells me that he got 2 new accounts from another LCO and they were charging $22.5 / cut - I told the lady she was getting ripped off and I charged her $15 a cut. By this time I am shaking my head and thinking why did I stop. He then proceeds to tell me that I am a Dam@ Fool cuz I do other work for cleints that aren't my regular mowing clients - (I am full service - spray, landscape, mow on and on) himself - mow and snow only. Speaking of snow he tell me that I have way to much invested in snow equipment and driveway to driveway he could keep up if not beat me hands down in snow removal. Thing is I run a TC24D Boomer with front mount blower - he uses a 28 inch John Deere walk behind snowblower.

The more he talked the more I was conveinced that this guy is/was one goofy ba*#&%d!

So for listening to the advice of lawnsite - I guess I did give it a try only to learn never again!

LindblomRJ
06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
In this part of the county you will run into that quite a bit. That seems to be a farmer mentality. Think of it as entertainment.

How close to Sioux City are you?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Well you are going to run into that ever were you go. I talk to a few LCO in my area we have given each other work and it has becone a good relationship with them.

Stillwater
06-17-2007, 06:34 AM
besides me their is another large landscaping biz in town we borrow each others equipment in a emergency.

Sandgropher
06-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I wish i was there i would have been laughing so hard i would have fallen of the mower :laugh: he sounds like a real charactor, things are boring around here everybody get on well and most of my work comes from LCOs that pass stuff on that they cant do (to busy ),,i hope you talk to him again it will be a hoot to see what rubbish he comes up with :laugh:

lawnspecialties
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
When I hit my late 60s, if I'm mowing a condo complex myself on a JD garden tractor, something went terribly wrong.:confused:

MOturkey
06-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Different situation, same principal, that some people learn at older ages, some never do.

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday evening, and he told me about a fellow he knows who was telling about farming with horses when he was a kid. They were pretty successful farmers, and his dad went to town one day and bought a brand new tractor and had it delivered.

Well, his grandad blew a gasket. Said it was the dumbest thing he'd ever done, would ruin the farm, etc. After a couple of seasons, the old man went to his son and apoligized, and asked him to teach him how to run the tractor. :) Told him he was wrong, and he would never stare at another hourse's rear as long as he lived, and never did!

DLAWNS
06-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Don't think everyone is like that. I posted last time that I introduced myself to a neighbor that is a fellow lco. We talk somewhat regularly now. We shoot the s***, trade tips, and vent some stories about customers. I've been giving him some work thats not in my area or that I don't have time for, and in return he gives me jobs that he may not be equipped to handle yet. I think its good to have allies as opposed to enemies. Thats not to say that we can all be friends as there is always a guy like that out there thats gonna talk trash because he feels threatened.

meets1
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree- being in my 60's. Using a garden tractor and telling me that I am the Dam% Fool - go figure!

Runner
06-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Yep. The guy is a crackpot. We talk and network with several lco's in the area. I don't care, there is so much work out there...I know I can't mow all of Genesee Co.. I don't let the new guys get to me either, as I know they will be gone in a short time, anyway. I just enjoy helping people. It is always nice to hear words like "I'm so glad I met you." or "I'm so glad we talked."

DLCS
06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
The guy is just trying to get your goat, don't sweat the small stuff.

MuleCutter
06-17-2007, 06:29 PM
i can feel the LCO brotherly love when i read this thread :D

cantoo
06-17-2007, 11:55 PM
My wife gets this same crap once in awhile when she stops for gas at the local gas station. Some of the older guys who cut a few lawns meet there for coffee everyday to brag about how much work they have. She stops for a few minutes when she has time just to be nice. She likely does more work in one week then they all do all week. Most are retired and just cut a few for spending money and so they can afford a decent mower for their own lawn. All use tractors and cars or mini vans to pull small trailers. I have heard that after she leaves they talk about how fast she drives and how hard she works. She does work hard, I know sometimes when I spend the day with her I am a hurting unit. I can't wait to get back to my supervisor job.

Vikings
06-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Speaking of snow he tell me that I have way to much invested in snow equipment and driveway to driveway he could keep up if not beat me hands down in snow removal. Thing is I run a TC24D Boomer with front mount blower - he uses a 28 inch John Deere walk behind snowblower.

The more he talked the more I was conveinced that this guy is/was one goofy ba*#&%d!

So for listening to the advice of lawnsite - I guess I did give it a try only to learn never again!
I've do snow and wish I had a pull back plow and front plow... Maybe this year. That is definitely the way to go BUT I can do 50 driveways myself on a light day with just a 4ft push shovel and normal shovel.
On a medium day, say 5-10 cms I need help. We run up the centre of the drive way and push it to the sides, at some point I grab the snow blower and run up the sides.

On heavy days it's just work :(

But aren't you glad that you have lawnsite as a resource for information rather then all the hacks you meet in this business, LOL.

Tim Wright
06-19-2007, 08:20 AM
The old geezer has other money coming in and this is his hobby.

Tim

puppypaws
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
When I hit my late 60s, if I'm mowing a condo complex myself on a JD garden tractor, something went terribly wrong.:confused:

You got that right, sounds like he may be in the early stages of dementia, poor old fellow.

BQLC
06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds Like My grandfather. He is always right and I am always wrong. He is the only onein the world that knows how to do anything and if you are not doing it his way then again you are wrong. I just laugh under my breath and do not let it get under my skin:laugh:

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey, at least he speaks english. Around here most of the people actually out doing the work are Mexican and the only english speaking member of the crew is the guy driving the truck.