PDA

View Full Version : French drain question

craftbender
06-17-2007, 08:50 AM
My basement gets wet in one small spot from time to time and I am going to dig a french drain. This should be easy since I just bought a Kubota BX24. I have been doing some leveling for a new front porch and the thing works great.

Now the french drain. What is the maximum distance from the concrete block basement wall for the drain? The water seems to be coming from below surface because I dug a 12 inch by 12 inch trench right next to the basement wall and am just getting a slight trinkle about a foot lower than the trench just mentioned. It must be ground water. Also, very knowledgeable people on this forum say use fabric and some say no fabric. One guy says use straw.

Thanks in advance.

Bill S
06-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I would dig the foundation out if it is concrete blocks and check the mortar. You may want to repoint. Than after that is complete cover all block that will be below soil level with tar, this will further seal the foundation. Next back fill with clay against the foundation. You can then put a french drain in a couple to three feet out if you still have water coming back toward the foundation just to channel puddling away.

Bill S
06-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I would dig the foundation out if it is concrete blocks and check the mortar. You may want to repoint. Than after that is complete cover all block that will be below soil level with tar, this will further seal the foundation. Next back fill with clay against the foundation. You can then put a french drain in a couple to three feet out if you still have water coming back toward the foundation just to channel puddling away. :gmctruck:

PSUturf
06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I would try to get at least 10' away. Even at 10' out water could find its way back to the foundation by way of a vein of coarse sand or gravel left from the original construction.

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
are you sure you need a french drain?

We had a client where all that was needed is we had too drill 2" holes in the footing to pipe the water out from under the basement floor slab.

craftbender
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I've already started on a french drain--about half way across the yard, and about 10' away from house. Encountering ALOT of clay soil, not to mention old asphalt which was buried about 4" deep. No wonder we couldn't get grass to grow.
I love my BX-24 Kubota. It's already got around 30 hours on it, and I'm learning how to use it now.

Kiril
06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/foundation/ORNL_CON-295.pdf