PDA

View Full Version : New poly, old install

GreenMonster
06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I need a little advise on the proper methods for installing poly into an existing walkway. How much of the existing sand needs to be washed out for the new poly to be effective, without washing out the existing sand which is acting as the interlock? Is pressure washing the sand out of the pavers the proper way to do this?

So, CG, let's hear the best method. I know you have Techni-seal certification in your long list of credentials. You probably even have an accompanying photo to add :laugh:

ChampionLS
06-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd use a pressure washer with a zero degree nozzle and blast the joints clean. Make sure your wearing safety glasses or a full face shield as sand will be splashing everywhere, along with moss and debris. Let everything dry out for a day and apply. We just did a 4,500 sq. ft. driveway two weeks ago. It took about two full days of washing to get the moss/sand out and flush all the old sand away. Works better with a helper using a squeegee and stiff broom.

mrusk
06-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Hmm i hope we get more feed back in this thread.

I am having a proablem with the techo bloc poly sand on the big ep henry blue stone job i did last year. The joints are wide and the stuff just is not holding up.

Have any of you guys used the stuff made my sure klean that you apply in a back back sprayer that kind of makes regular sand act like polymeric?

On of the reps for a paver co used this and highly recommened it. I just want to hear what you guys think?

GreenMonster
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know about that stuff, Matt. I've always steered away from it, because I like the aesthetics of the colored (primarily grey for us) poly sand.

My biggest concern with a redo is pressure washing out the bedding sand that the pavers are interlocked into. Blow that out, and you're screwed I would think......:confused:

As far as your wide gaps, I know Alliance has a product now specifically designed for large joints and natural stone applications.

mrusk
06-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know about that stuff, Matt. I've always steered away from it, because I like the aesthetics of the colored (primarily grey for us) poly sand.

My biggest concern with a redo is pressure washing out the bedding sand that the pavers are interlocked into. Blow that out, and you're screwed I would think......:confused:

As far as your wide gaps, I know Alliance has a product now specifically designed for large joints and natural stone applications.

I just want to advoid buying several hundred bucks worth of polymeric sand.

I figured i'd just pick up a yard of great concrete sand and sweet it into the power washed joints and spray it down.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-18-2007, 01:12 AM
I did a bluestone patio for my In-laws last october. The stone is irregular shaped with wide joints (1"-3"). I used Techniseals HP poly sand, and it has faded out and loosened up in a few places. We plan on washing it out and going with mortar. I'm afraid of the bedding sand and stones being disturbed while power washing the poly out. I'm in a little better shape since it's my family's house, so I can afford to experiment I guess.

I've posted on this before and someone said that there is a poly sand for wide joints that is called "Gator Dust" and is made and distributed out of Canada. I can't recall the company though. I just did a search for "Gator Dust" and it's made by Alliance as GM stated above. I have know idea as to the quality of the product though.

zedosix
06-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I did a bluestone patio for my In-laws last october. The stone is irregular shaped with wide joints (1"-3"). I used Techniseals HP poly sand, and it has faded out and loosened up in a few places. We plan on washing it out and going with mortar. I'm afraid of the bedding sand and stones being disturbed while power washing the poly out. I'm in a little better shape since it's my family's house, so I can afford to experiment I guess.

I've posted on this before and someone said that there is a poly sand for wide joints that is called "Gator Dust" and is made and distributed out of Canada. I can't recall the company though. I just did a search for "Gator Dust" and it's made by Alliance as GM stated above. I have know idea as to the quality of the product though.

Permacon makes a product called polymeric hp. We just used it for 2,000 sq.ft. pool. Hard as cement. How long it holds is anyone's guess. You guys need to make sure not to wet any of the polymeric sand down too much. You will be washing away the hardening agents. Be very careful about this part of the job or you are wasting your time and money.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
I only do a light misting as the directions say.