PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting Blue spruces help. QUICK!

TheKingNJ
06-17-2007, 10:59 AM
So my parents planted these spruces about 10 years ago and now its my problem that they need to be transplanted. I know they should have been done 5 years ago but now I gotta give it a shot. They are about 8 – 10 feet tall and all grown into each other.

What should I do? Any tips? Ive never transplanted something like this.
I will be using a L39 kubota.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1110.jpg

Mike Fronczak
06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Using a Kubota? You need a tree spade or start hand digging. Your best bet is to wait till fall, or better yet early spring (you want the trees to be dormant), dig with as much of the root ball as posible (they will be HEAVY). Good Luck.

NNJLandman
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Worst time of the year to do it now Rich. With the weather we have been having, little rain n stuff, itd be best to wait til the cooler weather prevails.

Jeff

TheKingNJ
06-17-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah i talked to my nursery and they told me not to do it now because there is a %100 chance of it not surviving.

prizeprop
06-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Keep the best one where it is and use the others as Christmas trees.

TheKingNJ
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Keep the best one where it is and use the others as Christmas trees.

I have a feeling once they are seperated there are going to be too many dead spots and holes in them to be used as an Xmas tree.

PSUturf
06-17-2007, 11:56 PM
They can safely be moved now with a 65" spade or larger. They would need to be thoroughly watered 2-3 days before transplanting. Unfortunately it looks like they are growing too close to each other to be moved with a tree spade. I wouldn't even think about hand digging something that size.

TheKingNJ
06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
They can safely be moved now with a 65" spade or larger. They would need to be thoroughly watered 2-3 days before transplanting. Unfortunately it looks like they are growing too close to each other to be moved with a tree spade. I wouldn't even think about hand digging something that size.

so what should i do? give up?

PSUturf
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
You could try moving the smaller trees in the photo. Root ball should be at least 32" for a tree that's about 6' tall. If they are growing together and have a bare side I would just cut them down.

greg1
06-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If they have to go, then try your hand at transplanting them now. Soak them down, wait two - three days dig them out by hand or a combination of hand and small trencher. You'll need 10" of root ball per 1" of trunk caliper. You can cheat that size a little bit after 4" in caliper. stick them in the shade for up to a week and keep the ball and foliage on the moist side. The worst time of year and almost the only time you wouldn't want to transplant any evergreen is approximately a three week period when the new growth has come out and not hardened off. The other times being drought and frost. Don't sweat it! If you need further help, just ask. I was born and raised on a general stock nusery in your neck of the woods in hunterdon county.

themowerman
06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I think Cerbo's in Hampton has a tree spade. He might not charge you too much to do it. I would not do it now though.