PDA

View Full Version : Blade Balancing/Balancers?

MOturkey
06-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Ok, so I've pretty much decided to bite the bullet and purchase a dedicated blade grinder, probably a Magna-Matic 9000. I appreciate all the input from those who do their sharpening with angle grinders and such, but I honestly have never been very adept at such things. I helped cut meat in a grocery store when I was a teenager, and have owned two stores myself, but never did get to where i could sharpen a knife worth a flip!

Anyhow, now to the question. No doubt the Magna-Matic balancer is a quality piece of equipment, but I'm finding it difficult to believe it is necessary to spend almost $200 bucks for something to balance the blades. My question is this: Is there something out there a little more sophisticated than a nail in the wall, but more reasonably priced? I've looked on the net, and all I can come up with are those cheapy looking cone balancers for around $5. I would think someone would make a decent quality balancer out of something other than plastic but still priced way below the Magna-Matic. Is there such an animal?

Also, a probably dumb question. If you find a blade substantially out of balance, do you just continue to sharpen the heavier side to get it into balance (effectively wearing your blade out sooner), or is it OK to remove a little material from the backside of the blade? I did a little searching on the net, and found both methods recommended.

Thanks in advance. Neill

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Well the magna-matic is a top unit,i have the magna blade balancer i never balance my blades itz good to see if a blade is crooked or bent,i have the $5 balancer itz good,but no it would work to a point,i have owned several mowers with no balanceing blades,with zero problems.

J&T Kiev
06-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Some LCO'S believe that balancing the blades is of extreme important, some blow it off as un-necessary(a friend of mine around here never balances a blade). But if you do balance the blades, about the only sure way to get them in true balance is using the Magna Matic. Prices do go up, I bought mine in 2002, 120.00$

rodfather
06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
In 14 full time years of this with 11 big machines currently (the smallest being a 52" WB), we have never balanced 1 blade...ever. Only place where a balanced blade makes any difference is on a single blade push mower since it acts as a counter weight when engaged.

Other than that, it is a total waste of time IMO...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
True seems push mowers really shake figured it was the blade out of balance,can't hurt to balance, but here we never have the spare time.

JTF40
06-18-2007, 12:05 AM
In 14 full time years of this with 11 big machines currently (the smallest being a 52" WB), we have never balanced 1 blade...ever. Only place where a balanced blade makes any difference is on a single blade push mower since it acts as a counter weight when engaged.

.................It's hard to disagree with experience. :usflag:

causalitist
06-18-2007, 01:51 AM
well.. a very unbalanced blade HAS to wear out spindle bearings faster.
the question is just how much faster, rodfather didnt say how long spindle bearings are lasting him. im guessing the difference isnt as big as i would think or he would be balancing em.

i think ill stick with my $5 plastic one , works just fine, one end touches the ground, take off a tad more. and i just sharpen it longer in regards to your last question.

Richard Martin
06-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Here's the $20 balancer I use.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1758050&postcount=11

causalitist
06-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Here's the $20 balancer I use.

looks like it has to work pretty darn good, do u know a good place online for that bearing? thanks.

Meg-Mo
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Put MEG MO blades on your mower and your blades will be balance all the time when mower is running. When you find a blade out balance when did it happen 2 sec after you put it on mower or 2 sec before you took it off. The blades will stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and do not need a big sharpener.

cybervision
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
If the guys running Meg Mo are killing their bearings then there probably is no reason to balances blades.

cybervision
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Correction

If the guys running Meg Mo are not killing their bearings then there probably is no reason to balances your blades.

Richard Martin
06-18-2007, 05:11 PM
looks like it has to work pretty darn good, do u know a good place online for that bearing? thanks.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/1-4inch/Kit223

This isn't the same bearing I have but it's the same size. You can either get the 10 pack and share with your buddies, maybe keep a spare (they're small) or you can scroll down the page and just buy one.

KathysLGC
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Are those magnetic?

Eric D
06-27-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/1-4inch/Kit223

This isn't the same bearing I have but it's the same size. You can either get the 10 pack and share with your buddies, maybe keep a spare (they're small) or you can scroll down the page and just buy one.

Richard,

Thanks for the tip on the bearings. I ordered a ten pack this evening. Total cost with shipping was under $20. Pretty good balancer for the money!

Thanks again,

Eric D

KTO Enterprises
06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Whats up with meg mo jacking every thread to use it to push their pitiful design? And who does their posting? A two year old? Their grammar is horrible. I think anyone that says they are satisfied with the way those things cut are the percentage of people that wont admit they made a bad purchase.

I hold a screwdriver on the work bench, put screwdriver blade through hole on blade. which ever end starts to head towards the floor gets some metal taken off. if the resistance of the edge of the blade will not let the heavy end tip towards the floor, it obviously was not out of balance much to make a difference.

Richard Martin
06-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Are those magnetic?

Nope, just a bearing.

Richard Martin
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Pretty good balancer for the money!

Thanks again,

Eric D

No problem.

Here's a little tip for the bearing....

I take WD-40 and spray some into a real small container, like the top from the WD-40 can, and let the bearing sit in it for a day or two to help keep it lubed.

KathysLGC
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Nope, just a bearing.

So how does your design work? What holds the blade in place to allow it to show it's balance?

Richard Martin
06-28-2007, 05:15 PM
So how does your design work? What holds the blade in place to allow it to show it's balance?

Did you see the picture?

The hole in most commercial blades is 5/8". The outside diameter of that particular bearing is 5/8". You put the blade on the bearing and round and round it goes. :)

Richard Martin
06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Giving credit where credit is due... It is not my design. I borrowed the idea from Eric Erickson (a.k.a. Eric Elm) many moons ago.

walker/redmax
06-28-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm glad to hear that. I've only ever used a round screw driver in a vice to balance mine and when I started reading this thread, I got a little worried hahaha.:waving:

KathysLGC
06-29-2007, 09:33 AM
LoL didn't pay attention. The blade has a 5/8 hole and that's the diameter of the bearing..... What a dummy.....

Sammy
06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm glad to hear that. I've only ever used a round screw driver ..........

I use the same.