PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Ugly Lawn

nomaxcomputer
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Hello to all the experts out there. I moved into a new house a few years back and am slowly tackling projects to turn it into the property that the neighbors envy. My next focus is the front and back yard.

The lawn was completely dead when I moved in. I tore it up and reseeded it last spring and it has grown nicely compared to what it used to be. Unfortunately, a few things have groen with it and they are ugly!

I've included some pictures as I have no clue what to call these problems.

You can see in one that I have very thick and coarse grass, clovers, giant green leaves (weeds?), and none of it is uniform.

I've included the other to show the little white things everywhere. Are those aged dandylions? I had a problem with those a few weeks ago but they've all seemed to go away.

Is there a magical spray to kill off the undesirables and encourage a healthy, lush, and full lawn? Thanks for any advice in advance.

http://s199348096.onlinehome.us/files/lawn/grass01.jpg

http://s199348096.onlinehome.us/files/lawn/grass02.jpg

MJS
06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Just try Scotts Weed & Feed. If you apply it according to the directions, and do it maybe 2-3 times this year (every other month), by next spring, there should noticable improvement. If this doesn't do it, there are very potent sprays avaliable that a liscenced pro could put down.
PS You might also want to try mowing your grass slightly higher; taller grass will make it harder for the weeds to germinate

cgaengineer
06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
By looking at pictures it appears you have a great start with the grass, but it just needs some TLC.

Those white things are clover flowers...a $7 bottle of Spectracide weed killer for lawns and a garden hose will clean that stuff up in a few days...if its bad you may have to treat it again. You will likely have to reseed this fall as the weeds may have choked some of the grass. It appears that your lawn is tall fescue so you will have to reseed anyway when bare spots show up as fescue doesnt spread (Clumping grass).

Try the weed killer for lawns...I have had great sucess with it and since its applied with a garden hose you dont have to water your lawn after you apply it like the weed and feed that comes in the bag...I have also found it works best if you have wild onions like I had.

Pro-Scapes
06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
If you want the easy and expensive route go with the scotts program. Its nearly fool proof for home owners. My suggestion to do a clean up would include buying a good edger and using it I hate unslightly edges!!!!!:laugh:

leejp
06-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Mix it up at night, get up early and hit the weeds while there's some dew on them on a day with no rain and highs not over 75*F. Hit it again a week later.

Weeds will be history! Then it's time to start worrying about grubs.

Capemay Eagle
06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I am not an expert, but I would be careful with your weed and feed products. You may want to dethatch and seed in the early fall, and some weed and feeds suggest that you do not seed 4-6 week after you apply. Considering you live in a a colder climate you may seed a little earlier than most of us. So I would apply some weed and feed asap. I also posted a easy 5 step program I use, maybe you can give it a shot. It has done wonders for my yard. Here is the link. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=188166&page=2 Good luck.

Faded87T
06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
One shot of speedzone will knock those weeds out no problem.