PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of 4: height of cut

BeautifulBlooms
06-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I had a customer tell me that I was cutting too low on his propety at 3" so I offered 3.5" inches and told him I do have one other customer that gets a south facing slope at 3.5" to helpe ase the droughty conditions and full exposure.

He said he has always mowed at 4", I said I could try that and see how it looks but I have never heard of lawns being cut above 3.5" the only place for 4" grass in my opinion is a golf course rough. However, I can understand as long as I can still get the grass to stand up and cut properly 4" will be fine, but I couldn't promise how it would look.

Anyone else ever have anyone tell them to cut at 4"???

mojob
06-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Tall fescue likes 4" HOC.

jpp
06-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I do one front yard at 4 and it looks good. Has all the afternoon sun and before i went to 4 and they started watering it was a crispy critter. Now we are in a very long dry spell here as well and this is the first year I have cut his yard on 4. I had to drill it in his head to get the hose out and start watering too.

JP

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Most cool season grasses need a taller HOC in the summer. Plus, they prefer the taller cut. I have one property that I don't even drop the deck. 4.5"..

RutledgeLawnCare,NC
06-17-2007, 02:43 PM
its hard to get a client like that...who insists on a tall cut. thanks

paolaken
06-17-2007, 02:43 PM
we mow everything at 4", tall fescue and blue

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Same here. I cut all my accounts at 4". Unless they really want it lower. It seems to be better on the grass plus it is easier on my mowers. Mostly fescue yards.

tacoma200
06-17-2007, 03:11 PM
4" is better on the Northern grasses and makes it harder for the weeds to invade. Not many of my customers will let me cut that high though. They shave it like a new Marine here (home owners). It's hard to get them to understand that it's hard on the grass. I have one lady from another country (very nice) that likes it at 2.5" or less. She had her husband trim to save money even though it's apparent they have plenty of money and good jobs. Now he's on a used MTD cutting it into the dirt every week. I hope shes happy, I sure am (to get rid of the account).

GravelyGuy
06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
4" on most of my lawns. Never below 3.5" for me somtimes even 4.5"

SSS 18734
06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
4" usually looks great on thick, cool season grasses. It only looks like crap on the thinner lawns.

Woody82986
06-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I cut between 3.5" and 4.25" 4" isn't uncommon for quite a few of my lawns.

DLCS
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Smaller lawns nothing above 3". But on the larger lawns I have cut up to 4". Keeps you cutting longer in dry conditions too. I do it mainly cause it looks nice.

nmez21
06-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I cut my own at 4" from mid-may until mid-sept. I did a small science project on cutting height this spring for school that I'll copy & paste segments from with results that might be somewhat interesting. Grass type: Ken. Bluegrass Blend ;Results taken :April 6- May 25; Air temp @ testing: 84.2deg. F ; Rel. Hum: 86%.
Height (Inches)---------------2.5------3.0------3.5----4.0
3-day Growth (In.)------------0.3------0.51----0.73----0.93
3-Day Height Increase (%)----12%-----17%----21%----23%
Soil Temp. (°F)---------------79.1-----75.9----73.7----71.5

Damian
06-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm cutting my St. Augustine - which all my customers have - at 3.25" right now, up a 1/4" from two weeks ago. We've had the rain that so many are missing, plus we haven't hit 100 degrees yet, which is extremely unusual for us here. Since I mow with a 21" and my height is limited to 4.25", that's what I wind up at late August/early Sept., before slowly lowering it back down to 2.75" at the end of mowing season in November.

ThorVentures
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
...all our mowers are set at 4". I was thinking about welding the handles to prevent all other choices.

bohiaa
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Got one that's VERY thick St. Augustine that I cut on 5, sometimes I put the push mower 1 notch above 5, " there's Not really a notch there"
it's like the end of the adjustment

lawnprosteveo
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I cut one of my customers at 4" yesterday...they have THICK bermuda...their fertilizer company must come out about every other day because this stuff grows like crazy... Anyway, at 4" it looked like an emerald green carpet!

justanotherlawnguy
06-18-2007, 12:28 AM
most of the st augustine around here is cut at 4.25 up to 5 inches. there are even a few where the deck isnt even lowered...

Envy Lawn Service
06-18-2007, 03:31 AM
I cut everything as high as possible.

I don't generally fool with the customers who want it cut way short for no real reason.

Unless we are talking sports turf, warm season grass or a really active back yard family there is not REAL reason to shave it tight... other than trying to be tight... and I don't service that type of customer.

I find most people never even walk in their grass, except maybe once in a blue moon for a specific purpose.

Mark in MD
06-18-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a buddy who cuts his own lawn at 4 inches. It's the nicest lawn on the block.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Everything here gets cut at 3-4 inches. Its looks much nicer and lush. I see other LCO'S Cutting things to the ground at 2-2-1/2 these lawns are completely fried,so fried it would take a weeks worth of rain to green it.

ok4me2xlr8
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I have some one that i cut for that I HAVE to cut 4 inches for I even had to but a different lawn mower to do it with!!!

topsites
06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah I tell you, for many years I refused to believe it, even argued with other Lco's about too high a cut... But this year things are so slow and dry, I've lost so many customers it just don't matter anymore. Tired of the cheapos I got, those are the only folks who always insisted on a lower cut.

But a lower cut ruins the turf, and I can not and will not do it, no matter what.
Problem is the Z is easy but the Wb isn't, so one height fits all, end of discussion please.

I got my Wb at 3.5 and my Z at 3.625 - 3.875 (1/8" spacer does that).
Wow, what a difference it made.
My lawns stay green, they do get a bit tall and unkempt looking between cuts but that is normal when things hardly grow, BIG difference from the days of heat stressed looking turf I tell you.

One of the biggest side benefits is less scalping.
It's not that big of a deal in spring, but scalp a spot in 90+ degree weather and it's weeds coming up for sure.

I may just go to 3.75" on the Wb, few folks complain nowadays, most of mine see the benefit even if it results in 1-2 maybe 3 extra cuts / season, and I'm not so sure it even does that except where it doesn't kill the lawn! So it's worth spending that extra 35 or 70-100 a season in return for a healthier turf, it costs as much if not more to bring it back, if just in water alone.

Rob.C
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
4" is a good account to have u can mow it more frequently and if its blue grass u should be cutting at 4".

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Well for one to me it looks better,stripes nicer and stays greener when all your neighbors lawns are brown hay:laugh: .At the end of the season it can be mowed low,like the last few cuts.

TAZ
06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
4"-4 1/2" here.
-TAZ

WildLake
06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I just think it gets so shaggy between cuts at 3.5 or 4 inches. I do 3.25 on the lazers which I believe is really actually 3 inches if you measure. I realize the benifit of cutting higher but the customers won't go for it, especially the monday, tuesday customers because it looks overgrown by the weekend. The stripes are definitely unreal on a lush 4 inch cut.

STRINGALATION
06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I wish i could get my bunton rbc-36 up to 4" i love a loaf. that's what i call it when tall grass is edged real nice especially if it has been topdressed where you have 2-3" of soil then 4" of grass you cannot miss that edge

BeautifulBlooms
06-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Well guys I have repositioned my thoughts ont his I guess. Maybe I owe the guy an apology now, although I never really gave him a hard tiem I just said I hadn't heard of any other lawns being cut that high.

I think I'll stick with 3-3.5 for the spring and 4 in the droughty months.

bigbone
06-19-2007, 01:37 AM
I sometimes mow tall fescue at 4" cause I got behind with rain or whatever. It looks just fine to me.

unit28
06-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I was cutting at 3 1/2.....so I thought.
I checked the blades with a tape-measure and found out I was cutting at 3.

SO I raised it up to 4". Looks better especially with sharp blades on the cool season grass. Looks like carpet, and no scalps.
I put fresh sharp blades on daily.

naturescape
06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow - it sure is good to see so many people here cutting at 3 1/2 - 4"! I would cut everything at 4" in summer here if I had my way, but even at 3 1/2", which is where I am cutting, I have a few customers who want it lower. I explain the reason for cutting turf high in a fact sheet I give to these customers (no way am I going to explain every single reason to cut high to everyone who wants it cut short - they can just READ it!). If they want it under 3 1/2" in summer, they need to look elsewhere. I ain't cutting lower!

Envy Lawn Service
06-20-2007, 12:10 AM
I don't understand some people...

Actually try a 4" cut for a couple of weeks ON A GOOD LAWN.
Once you actually do, you'll shut up.

The real truth is, the shorter you cut a lawn back, the faster it tries to recover.
In other words, MORE TOP GROWTH.

That lasts until it gets hot and a bit dry.
Then it just burns up, and becomes wide open to weed infestation.

The only places that can tolerate the shorter cut on cool season grasses is far enough north not to be that intensely hot from the sun.

Uranus
06-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I cut at 3 inches in the spring, Bump it up to 3 1/4 a month after the first application of fert was applied. As soon as I see uper 80's or 90* weather coming I put most of my lawns at 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 inches.

I love it when the fert companys come out to do round 2 and tell the customers to make sure the lawn boy is mowing at 3 to 3 1/2 inches because it looks like it was cut to short. The customer calls up or comes out at the next mowing an tells me to raise the height to 3 inches. I chuckly and tell them that I'm already cutting them that 3 1/2". Usualy it is chem lawn.

the Lawnmower Man
06-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah I got a guy like that. They love there lawn and they want it to be thick. I guess there kids are safe on there playground, it they fall from there swings they land in super thick and plush St. Augustine.

muxx
06-20-2007, 07:46 AM
I mow alot of lawns in Southern Ohio on 4. Especially in mid to late summer. Helps keep them green longer.

hess
06-20-2007, 10:09 PM
We cut our lawn at 3.5 inches when the heat comes in we cut at 4

Optimum Lawn
06-20-2007, 10:23 PM
WOW I'm impressed by all that mow High

On my Z I will not cut below 3 3/4" and the WB is as high as it will go (3 1/4") and same with the 21"

At home I've been cutting at 4.5" (up from 4)...looks amazing... one lush thick carpet.

I have changed my fert program though....more fert application in late fall and only spring time stuff is in weaker areas of turf (ie under trees). I find if you get to much nitrogen the grass blade will not stand up as well and wants to lay down at the higher cut. IMO.
:canadaflag:

Snowman269
06-23-2007, 02:15 AM
I cut 3.5 in spring & fall, 4" during the summer.

New construction, the longer the better. Longer grass means longer roots, longer roots can handle dry spells better. Longer grass protects the crown from the sun & causing sun burn.

The nursing home was used to cutting at 2.5" & the roots were real shallow after many years. Changed the cut height to 4" & after one year, rechecked the root depth, much improved.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I have a lady thats just the opposite. She keeps telling me to lower it so last time i lowered it so bad that on the edges (no slope) it scalped it at little. She STILL complained it was cut too high. I took her out to show her the scalp and then asked if she just wanted me to mow dirt from now on because if i go any lower thats what I will be doing.

mr.glenn
06-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I cut mostly centipede here and or weedy lawns and I never cut below 3.25" and I mean never. After 1 season cutting lawns like this most customers agree their lawns look better. I recently quit a good paying contract because the elderly lady kept insisting I scalp her "bumpy" yard. Even summer grasses do better taller when we are in a drought like we are now here in central NC.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I cut mostly centipede here and or weedy lawns and I never cut below 3.25" and I mean never. After 1 season cutting lawns like this most customers agree their lawns look better. I recently quit a good paying contract because the elderly lady kept insisting I scalp her "bumpy" yard. Even summer grasses do better taller when we are in a drought like we are now here in central NC.

I agree ... and I don't think I have ever had my deck below 3¼". With the dry conditions like they are here this year .... 4" is pretty much the norm. In fact ... mowed a back lot at a commercial property the other day at 4½ (crappy weed mix lot) and it looked great.

MOW ED
06-23-2007, 10:30 AM
How about 4.5. It is amazing if you train the lawn early. If you research the Master of Striping my good friend Eric ELM you will find that when this great man was alive he mowed lawns at minimum 5.5 inches with a Dixie Chopper. His lawns were stunning to say the least. If you don't know of Eric you should find out about him because he is one of the reasons you are reading and interacting on this site. He mowed in Northern Illinois so his lawns are the same Kentucky Blue / Fescue /Rye mix that you and I are mowing. My pictures are of my home lawn in N.E. Wisconsin. I mowed 2 days ago at 4.5. We have had little rain in the last 2 weeks and I do admit to about 1 hour of watering from the tap.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-23-2007, 10:40 AM
How about 4.5. It is amazing if you train the lawn early. If you research the Master of Striping my good friend Eric ELM you will find that when this great man was alive he mowed lawns at minimum 5.5 inches with a Dixie Chopper. His lawns were stunning to say the least. If you don't know of Eric you should find out about him because he is one of the reasons you are reading and interacting on this site. He mowed in Northern Illinois so his lawns are the same Kentucky Blue / Fescue /Rye mix that you and I are mowing. My pictures are of my home lawn in N.E. Wisconsin. I mowed 2 days ago at 4.5. We have had little rain in the last 2 weeks and I do admit to about 1 hour of watering from the tap.

Looks good Ed. Hey ... got an idea! Get you a wrench and a way to reduce the hose size ... and tap in to that fire hydrant in the corner of your yard. You could water for a couple of hours each night from say ... 2:00am to 4:00am. (j/k) :laugh:

Looks good buddy!

inHaliburton
06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I like to cut at 3½ to 4 inches. Most of my customers let me get away with cutting at those heights. However, I have a some (mostly females) who like it much shorter. I get into some real arguments with a few of them. A lot of the lawns up here are uneven so scalping results when cutting short.

I notice that most of the other cutters up here cut much shorter than I do. It's going to be a long, hot, dry summer up here, so we'll so who's still cutting later next month.

cpel2004
06-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Well longer cutting heights produce a longer root system. Customer benfits by needing less water during stressful times. We choose to cut at 4.5 year round.

MTR999
06-23-2007, 01:01 PM
We cut @4 " on St. Augustine residential and 4.5" on commercial prop, NEVER cut shorter if you want to give pro look to customers. Most of homeowners use push mowers that cut like 3" and their yards look like being scalded by hot water, in two months once yards run out fertilizer power, it turn weedy and yellow.

jwl5510
06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
4 is done here in the summer and 3 1/2 in spring and fall