PDA

View Full Version : Know it all customers

BeautifulBlooms
06-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I recently had a customer tell us that we can only plant and transplant up to about Memorial Day, because after that the plants will not survive. He also has said that we cannot get quality nursery stock in the middle summer months, so because their project wasn't done last week, they are pissed it is going to take a year to have it completed. It's funny we could be done with the planting in the next two weeks but because of their ******ed constraints it will take until next spring to finish.

Gotta love people with a ton of money who think they are the professional landscapers. I have personally never heard of a landscaping company taking the summer months off from planting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way this is also the same guy that thinks 4" is the height of cut on his turf. I was doing 3", I offered to make it 3.5" and he said no, why don't you try 4"

I just figured I would share this one with everyone!

ed2hess
06-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Most people don't want to hand water all summer .....do they have irrigation?

prizeprop
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Maybe offer a fall install.Which I think is the best time.

JimmyStew
06-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I get asked by my customers all the time if it is okay to plant in the summer. I think that most are referring to the belief (rightfully so in many cases) that mid summer is a bad time to TRANSPLANT material. I simply explain to them that the material at the nursery has either been grown in a pot since it was young or was dug from the field in the spring (or last year) so it will survive just fine if it is watered appropriately.

If given the chance, I generally hold of on transplanting shrubs of any size until either spring or fall, but it can be done successfully during the summer if adequate care is taken.

AGLA
06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
"Oh by the way this is also the same guy that thinks 4" is the height of cut on his turf. I was doing 3", I offered to make it 3.5" and he said no, why don't you try 4""

I'm guessing he has convinced his wife that her 5" frying pan is a 10" frying pan, if you know what I mean. Just a guess.

PSUturf
06-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I hear the same thing about not being able to plant after Memorial Day. I tell the customer the only time we don't plant is when the ground is frozen. If they are familiar with our company they just say 'you're the experts, do whatever works'.

Uranus
06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Invite him to call the nursery. If you should not plant in the summer wouldn't our suppliers close up for the summers.

sheshovel
06-18-2007, 05:02 AM
As long as they water, the plants will survive. Do not allow them to dictate your work. They make no sense by doing so, then complaining about having to wait. I would explain this to them.