PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for planting on a slope?

seacoastlandscape
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Redoing a large bed that runs up the side of the driveway sloped about 30 to 40 degrees. Customer wants it redone with some color. First thought was boxwood's to separate the wood line and junipers about 3 feet apart, but that provides no contrasts of color aside from green. Also have a horrible deer problem they will eat anything. So any ideas of some plants or pics would greatly help.
Thanks

Bill S
06-17-2007, 03:59 PM
intermingle some barberry and rosa rugosa in with juniper. All pretty well deer resistant (not deer proof)

PatriotLandscape
06-17-2007, 09:48 PM
can you still buy barberry? it was removed from commerce here in MA. I hate it anyway but if you have bad deer issues then it will work.

I sure am glad they can't cross the bridge to get to the Cape.

TheKingNJ
06-17-2007, 10:35 PM
what ever you put in, surround everything with ground cover juniper to stablize the hill and you don't have to worry about the mulch washing out.

Why would MA stop selling barberry? Its such a standard plant here.

sheshovel
06-17-2007, 10:41 PM
They will not eat Rosemary, Santolina, Lavender.

Kate Butler
06-17-2007, 11:08 PM
what ever you put in, surround everything with ground cover juniper to stablize the hill and you don't have to worry about the mulch washing out.

Why would MA stop selling barberry? Its such a standard plant here.

Not just Massachusetts - barberry is a VERY aggressive seeder and so many critters eat, then excrete, the seeds that they have become a habitat problem in many areas.

Dreams To Designs
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Barberry is labeled as a nonnative invasive and should only be used with caution, if at all. Unfortunately along with gold thread cypress and weeping cherries, they are a staple of landscapers throughout New Jersey.

What are the conditions of the slope? Soil, sun exposure, irrigation, ph and desired effect. A photo would be helpful.

Kirk

Focal Point Landscapes
06-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Barberry is still a favorite around here , but I wouldn't use a deciduous plant in this plan . Don't like the thorns , either.