PDA

View Full Version : People really startin to get to me, you?

General Grounds
06-17-2007, 09:10 PM
:dizzy: im gettin so tired of hearing how these people jobs are so impotant, and i dont understand that it needs to be done within 3 days of signing up, blah,blah, blah.

AND, you dont have to call me 6 times in 2 weeks to see if i forgot you, i cant stand that.

esp. when im up front with our timing.

it also burns my butt when i get put off for weeks because the pool isnt done, the electrician is late, the fence is being stained. than when these people are done god forbid if i cant do it the next day.

sorry guys just needed to vent a little seems like the people are getting worse each year to deal with

MJS
06-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I have one customer in particular who calls AT LEAST twice a week, regardless of what I have schedueled to do to her lawn or gardens. This was an actual phone conversation that I had with her recently (no I'm not making this up!)
Ring Ring
Me "Hello"
Her "Uh, Hi, this is so and so"
Me "What can I do for you"
Her "Uh, I just wanted to remind you, uh, that, uh, not to mow my front lawn at an angle tomorrow, because it makes the lawn look too big."
Me "Ok"
Her "So can you do that for me?"
Me "Yes, I can do that for you"
Her "And, um, I was thinking that, um you need to make sure that you blow the grass only into my lawn, and not my neighbors lawn."
Me "Have they complained about that"
Her "No, but I have a feeling that they will. You know they are really difficult neighbors for me; always talking when they are outside of their house. It is a good thing that they are not home much, or else I wouldn't ever have quiet."
Me "Oh"
Her "I saw them park their car in front of my house last night; I think they were hoping that one of my trees would fall on it, and they would get the insurance money. What do you think?"
Me "Oh, um, I dunno, maybe"
Her "Well, make sure that you don't forget to come tomorrow."
Me "Of course, I have it written down. It's in the contract, remember?"
Her "Yes, well, bye"
Me (relieved) "Bye"

I only keep her as a customer because 1) she likes my work, she pays what I ask, 2) she never complains about the wording in a contract, and 3) it is my comic relief for the week when she calls. :laugh:

RedMax Man
06-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I have one customer in particular who calls AT LEAST twice a week, regardless of what I have schedueled to do to her lawn or gardens. This was an actual phone conversation that I had with her recently (no I'm not making this up!)
Ring Ring
Me "Hello"
Her "Uh, Hi, this is so and so"
Me "What can I do for you"
Her "Uh, I just wanted to remind you, uh, that, uh, not to mow my front lawn at an angle tomorrow, because it makes the lawn look too big."

:laugh: LOL "makes the lawn look to big" thats just unbelievably funny. She sounds very similar to one of mine that calls often and gets way to overwhelmed with smallest things. She likes my work also and always pays plus has referred me to others so its not that bad working for her. One time she was getting all in a tiz about what color to paint her bedroom and kept bringing me paint samples and asking me what color i thought looked best. I cleaned up and edged one of her beds for her getting it prepped for mulch. I told her i wasn't going to install the mulch until all the other were done and i finished the plantings in the front because it is less expensive to get all the mulch and spread it at once rather than doing a little at a time. Later i get a phone message saying she just wants to leave the bed the way it is and not put mulch on it because it looks good. I told her it will quickly fill with weeds and the edge will get damaged from have no mulch to support it. And then i will have to do the whole job over again. I didn't change her mind so its still that way. She bought be a sub once though and always gives me water so thats nice.

sheshovel
06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
:dizzy: im gettin so tired of hearing how these people jobs are so impotant, and i dont understand that it needs to be done within 3 days of signing up, blah,blah, blah.

AND, you dont have to call me 6 times in 2 weeks to see if i forgot you, i cant stand that.

esp. when im up front with our timing.

it also burns my butt when i get put off for weeks because the pool isnt done, the electrician is late, the fence is being stained. than when these people are done god forbid if i cant do it the next day.

sorry guys just needed to vent a little seems like the people are getting worse each year to deal with

Nope that is not it. It is they way that you choose to handle THEM that is changing. Your business is growing, you are busier, less tolerant of your customers. The customers have always been this way, it is you who are changing.

rodfather
06-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Nope that is not it. It is they way that you choose to handle THEM that is changing. Your business is growing, you are busier, less tolerant of your customers. The customers have always been this way, it is you who are changing.

Exactly how I feel She...I am far less tolerant than I was was 14 years ago starting up, even 5.

WJW Lawn
06-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Shes right on! Customers havent changed lol My goodness they just stay the same! Its just that your "Crap Meter" has lost a couple levels at the top. Dont worry...mine has too!

sheshovel
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Happens to us all sooner or later.

inHaliburton
06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
With me, it's the women most of the time who are the pain-in-the-buttski with the incessant phone calls.

"When are you coming? What time are you coming? Cut it shorter...."

Lately, though, this guy has been calling me every day, leaving up to 3 message on the voicemail wanting to know when I'm coming, what time, Don't come after 2:00pm cuz I'll be out until 6:00, etc. Thank God he doesn't have my home phone number or he would be bothering my wife all day long. But my cell phone is usually loaded up with his messages each morning. He's an old retired guy with a cottage up here, so I tolerate him (so far). To me it's not worth the 35 bucks which I quoted for the job. I was hoping to get his brother-in-law's place, too, which is right next door, otherwise it would have been $45.00. As for today, it's going to rain all day so I'll be hearing from him. Life is ever thus...

daveintoledo
06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
. But my cell phone is usually loaded up with his messages each morning. ...

that is a bad idea.... if you need the money, keep them till the end of the year , just dont invite them back next year....if your schedule if full anyway. id get rid of her in a nice way now.......

inHaliburton
06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
that is a bad idea.... if you need the money, keep them till the end of the year , just dont invite them back next year....if your schedule if full anyway. id get rid of her in a nice way now.......

Frankly, it's not worth the drive, but the cut and trim (even though the place hadn't been cut this year yet and was a virtual jungle) only took 30 minutes. Anyway, I'm off the hook for a couple of weeks. The road down to the lake is so steep, I left the trailer up on the main road and rode the 937 down to his cottage, did the cut and trim, and rode back up again. Nice people, just demanding. Lots of thunderstorm up here today, did them in the rain. His next cut is in two weeks...