PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Homeowner: eXmark vs. Toro Decks?

pdawg
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Lazer HP vs. Toro Z441. Deck metal, clutch, spindles, etc.

My dealer says exMark Lazer HP and Toro Z441 are nearly identical, and made in the same Beatrice, NE factory. I've seen the same comment here; however, I have found the following non-trivial differences in the brochures.

Can anyone comment on how important these are to someone mowing 10 acres of rough Ozark lawn and pasture. It's rocky and uneven, so I want the best deck and equipment I can afford.

Deck Metal
- exMark: 7 ga sides, 10 ga. top + 10 ga reinforcement + 7 ga spindle ring
- Toro: 7 ga throughout (is this better than 10+10+7 ?)

Deck Height:
- exMark: 6 inch
- Toro: 5.5 inch

Spindles:
- exMark: 7.75" spindle housing - not sure if aluminum or iron
- Toro: 9 3/8" spindle, cast iron

Cluth:
- exMark 200 ft. lb.
- Toro: 175 ft. lb.

Help me fill in the blanks, with details such as
- Hydro Pumps and Wheel Motors (I'm pretty clueless here)
- wheel motor shafts 1", 1.25", etc.
- other I should be aware of for long life?

I will buy either:
- a Lazer HP 19 hp and 46" deck, or
- a Toro Z441 w/21 hp and 48" deck

Thanks in advance. I want this to be the last mower this 57 year old has to buy.

pdawg

Arkansaslawn
06-18-2007, 01:40 AM
john deere 757 with 7 iron deck if it was me but given the options i would probably go with the toro---they are almost bullet proof

Capemay Eagle
06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Wow 10 acres and your considering a 46" deck?? I would think that you would be considering a Toro Z500 72" diesel or 27hp liquid cooled would be in your leauge..

John Gamba
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
GET THE TURBOFORCE DECK ON THE TORO. do not get the triton on the exmark.

pdawg
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow 10 acres and your considering a 46" deck?? I would think that you would be considering a Toro Z500 72" diesel or 27hp liquid cooled would be in your leauge..

Too uneven for 72 - would scalp. Too poor for diesel or Z500. The 10 acres is many small parcels separated by fence, islands of trees, etc. Hope 46-48 is not a mistake!

fergman
06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
both decks are plenty strong 4 u since you are the only operator. both mowers should last 4 you just fine the MAINTENANCE is the key. NEVER skimp out on that. if you want the best quality of cut with the choices you have there then go with the toro UNLESS you can find the ultracut deck on an exmark. BUT!!!! IF you want the wisest choice for your situation then go find a hustler with flexforks and a flex seat THEN you will have a mower you will be COMPLETELY satisfied with. be patient on buying you are being very intelligent in making your decision. but as far as i go. im gonna stick with exmark ultracut deck cause i mow commercially and i HAVE to have the best quality of cut

Pro-Scapes
06-20-2007, 12:23 AM
ok... we own the toro machine your looking at. (for sale... 400 hrs...19 kawi 4750 selling to buy a 52 stander and 32 walk behind for gated yards)

10 Acres will take a rookie a better part of a day. We do a few properties that are 9 acres and uneven. If you have something to pull a finishing mower I would consider a small gang reel (7 to 8 ft) and tow that around...then get a smaller tractor mower... this will save you time.

If you still want it some of the reasons we picked the toro over the exmark.

Comfort... the large handles are a life saver if your going to be on it a long time. Seat was a little more comfy too. The all 7ga deck is stronger than the 10 10 7 on the exmark. I have heard bad things about the triton too.

I think I had bad castings from the factory and my original dealer was a hack but we lost all 3 spindles on our toro last year. We finally got toro to replace all 3 and its been fine since. They LOVE grease tho and we grease our spindles often.

We liked how smooth the toro ran compared to the exmark as well. The hydros just seemed a bit softer and not as neck breaking as scag and exmark did. Both are quality machines and should hold up to homeowner use well.

I would reccommend going a little bigger than your looking at tho. 52 to 60 inch. I would really look for a used machine with 500 to 1000 hours on it thats been well taken care of. If you really feel the 48 is in order then I would jump on the toro. Also if its that bumpy look into a ferris. At your age you may appreciate the suspension on the mower as well. As mentioned above the Hustler is a heck of a machine as well. But its gonna hit ya in the wallet for a fast machine. With that size plot forget about the homeowner or slower mowers out there and open up your wallet for $6500 or more.

Personally me and if I had to mow my acreage and not have to trailer the thing I would be puttin a tow behind mower on an ATV or tractor and finish in a fraction of the time.

pdawg
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
great suggestion on the flexforks & flex seat. Thanks.

pdawg
06-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Personally me and if I had to mow my acreage and not have to trailer the thing I would be puttin a tow behind mower on an ATV or tractor and finish in a fraction of the time.

I have a kubota b6200 and 48" finish mower and bushhog, but the irregular layout means I shift and backuo/turn a lot and it is infficient. Maybe a ZTR isn't the right choice.

Pro-Scapes
06-20-2007, 09:21 PM
well if its that irregular a ztr is the choice. if its rough like a pasture then no there are better choices out there.

Maybe take that kubota and smooth things out a bit and replant the grass ?

Doesnt anyone you know have a ztr that you can try out ?

pdawg
06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
the first thing the john deere salesman said was "you need to try a ztr before you do anything. it might not work for you." everyone else just wants to make a sale. i think i'll be taking JD up on that offer.

any other choices to recommend besides ztr's? 6 of the 10 acres are basically pasture - pretty uneven, so hard on equipment and it limits mowing speed. but also irregularly shaped, making for lots of turning, backing, etc. ozark soil is too rocky to smooth and reseed.

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
well then use the ztr on the more manicured lawns and use the kubota on the pastures. a ztr is NOT a replacment for a bush hog or 3 pt mower. Maybe go real slow and do the trim work with the ZTR then bush hog the rest. It all depends how bad it is. If its real rough and your going to be shaking the bolts lose and bottoming it out the ztr wont last.