PDA

View Full Version : Echo trimmers? Buy or no buy?

S man
06-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I haven't "personally" owned an echo trimmer yet. I have used redmax and stihl. I will not buy anymore rm trimmers but they're blowers kick a$$! I like stihl but my fs85r get's weird when the gas tank get's low on fuel. It will shut off and will need to be cold started again. And I have a 4 mix unit kombi and don't like the mixed breed engine that might need valve work and other stuff after awhile. So are echo's anygood??? I want to get one as a test model to see if I want all echos or not. My pb403 keeps running great with no problems after two years. So are they're trimmers good or should I stick with stihl??

robbo521
06-17-2007, 11:46 PM
i got me a new echo after talking to people on here and love it.it has taken me a while to get use to the way the head turns,coming from a 8 yr old sears.it cranks on the second to third pull.it will do some cutting and dig hard dirt to!

capelawncare.com
06-18-2007, 12:16 AM
I have an echo edger, love it so much... I will be picking up an echo trimmer.

KS_Grasscutter
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I haven't "personally" owned an echo trimmer yet. I have used redmax and stihl. I will not buy anymore rm trimmers but they're blowers kick a$$! I like stihl but my fs85r get's weird when the gas tank get's low on fuel. It will shut off and will need to be cold started again. And I have a 4 mix unit kombi and don't like the mixed breed engine that might need valve work and other stuff after awhile. So are echo's anygood??? I want to get one as a test model to see if I want all echos or not. My pb403 keeps running great with no problems after two years. So are they're trimmers good or should I stick with stihl??

I got a Kawasaki trimmer the other day and am very happy with it. Just don't like the head on it, it was a major PITA at first but I am starting to get used to it I guess.

dougmartin2003
06-18-2007, 01:04 AM
i got a srm210 trimmer and like it very much, have had it 3 years and no problems

shade tree landscaping
06-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I have an Echo stick edger and an Ech trimmer, love them both! I have the Home Depot models, not the profesional ones, but the ones I have I would highly recommend!

BUCKEYE MOWING
06-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I own them and they work great !

GreenN'Clean
06-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I've had an echo trimmer thats lasted for the past 5 years and still working with no problems

martinfan06
06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Echo is the best IMO been using them forever.

scott's turf
06-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Only complaint I have with my 2 echo trimmers and echo hedge trimmer is that it take usually a dozen pulls to get them started the first start of the day. And then it takes a few minutes for them to warm up. My shindawia blower starts on the 1st pull 90% of the time.

tallimeca
06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Can't go wrong with the SRM260s or the SRM260T.

I'd personallys stay away from the 210. It is not designed for the use and abuse of every day commercial cutting.

Guys that got sick of spending 200 bucks year after year bit the bullet and spend the extra hundred or so, well worth it.

Switch on, squeeze trigger, prime 2-3x, put on choke, pull 2-3x choke max. shut choke off and away you go.

watatrp
06-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I've used nothing but echos for over 20 years. My trimmers usually last 8-10 years. My edger is 8 years old and still going strong as it doesn't get used as often. I've got a hand held blower that is over 20 years old. I use that one the most because of it's light weight. My backpack blower is still going strong after 8 years too. The hose tends to break down from the sun but just replace the parts or use black duct tape and it keeps on going.

jameson
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Echo makes good trouble-free trimmers, IMO. I gave my old SRM2601's away to my employees and they still run good considering their age (one of the trimmers is at least 7yrs old).

The SRM260's have been trouble-free as well.

rob7233
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree with Tallimeca on getting the 260/261's if you want to go with Echo. They are slow to warm up in the morning since they are designed to run on the lean side. IMO they tend to develop carb problems within to 3-4 year mark. Many here have had them a lot longer without any problems. Echo does have good dealer support but I always seem to have to pay something on warranty issues. I don't really care for the local Echo dealer though. Always remember to drain the fuel and run it dry or use Sta-bil if the trimmer is going to sit unused for a while.

Kawasaki KGT or KBL are quite similiar in weight and feel/handling than the Echos but don't have the lean carb settings. I would not go with a Kaw KTR or an Echo SRM210 etc. Not really suited for heavy commercial use.

You state: " I have used redmax and stihl. I will not buy anymore rm trimmers but they're blowers kick a$$! " Why not RedMax trimmers anymore? Can you comment further on this?? You might also want to look at Shindaiwa. They are quite similiar to the RedMax in feel. Shindaiwa is my preferred brand, but I'm not brand loyal. Just some thoughts on what you might want to go and check out.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Many LCO'S use echo here. Personaly if your just using them for weed trimming maintence It would'nt bother me which brand we would use.I think it comes down to how bad they vibrate and the comfort of all day use.But if your getting into some heavy grasses and thicker brush,i'd get the commercial grade models. We use the shindaiwa 242's and stihl fs 80 r'sthere light weight and have plenty of power.

WildLake
06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
MY 260s are all atleast 4 years old. Still run great, but definitely slow warming up first thing.

jrush
06-18-2007, 02:18 PM
my echo trimmer is great, I have the diff attatchments to, everything works great and easy to change. Do have to agree with the sometimes hard starting
when cold.

watatrp
06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
How do you guys start your Echos? I've never had a problem. I never use the primer bulb. I just set it to full choke, pull the starter cord once or twice until it almost starts, then turn off the choke and pull it once. All of my Echo's (all 6 of them) start exactly the same way.

lawnpro724
06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Only complaint I have with my 2 echo trimmers and echo hedge trimmer is that it take usually a dozen pulls to get them started the first start of the day. And then it takes a few minutes for them to warm up. My shindawia blower starts on the 1st pull 90% of the time.

Yeah thats the problem I have with them as we'll. Don't get me wrong when their warmed up they run great and are easy to start the rest of the day unless their down for a long time. I have lots of equipment that we use all the time and Echo is the hardest starting of them all. I needed another trimmer this year and decided to try Tanaka and what a difference, its starts on the second pull every time and is ready to go.

Lynden-Jeff
06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

If it takes them a dozen pulls your doing it wrong. I have 3 echo trimmers, 2 blowers and 3 hedge clippers and NONE of them take more then 3 pulls when done properly.

Lynden-Jeff
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Can't go wrong with the SRM260s or the SRM260T.

I'd personallys stay away from the 210. It is not designed for the use and abuse of every day commercial cutting.

Guys that got sick of spending 200 bucks year after year bit the bullet and spend the extra hundred or so, well worth it.

Switch on, squeeze trigger, prime 2-3x, put on choke, pull 2-3x choke max. shut choke off and away you go.

That is exactly how you do it!

S man
06-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree with Tallimeca on getting the 260/261's if you want to go with Echo. They are slow to warm up in the morning since they are designed to run on the lean side. IMO they tend to develop carb problems within to 3-4 year mark. Many here have had them a lot longer without any problems. Echo does have good dealer support but I always seem to have to pay something on warranty issues. I don't really care for the local Echo dealer though. Always remember to drain the fuel and run it dry or use Sta-bil if the trimmer is going to sit unused for a while.

Kawasaki KGT or KBL are quite similiar in weight and feel/handling than the Echos but don't have the lean carb settings. I would not go with a Kaw KTR or an Echo SRM210 etc. Not really suited for heavy commercial use.

You state: " I have used redmax and stihl. I will not buy anymore rm trimmers but they're blowers kick a$$! " Why not RedMax trimmers anymore? Can you comment further on this?? You might also want to look at Shindaiwa. They are quite similiar to the RedMax in feel. Shindaiwa is my preferred brand, but I'm not brand loyal. Just some thoughts on what you might want to go and check out.

About redmax, Mine just vibrated a lot and didn't seem as solid as my stihls. the head on it drove me nuts and wouldn't work half the time. I sold it to a lco who said he loves it. So I guess it's just the user of it.

Is the srm 261t a good model? It doesn't have the steel shaft but has the big gearbox on it. Or the srm 260s?

fergman
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I got a Kawasaki trimmer the other day and am very happy with it. Just don't like the head on it, it was a major PITA at first but I am starting to get used to it I guess.

take a gear head off a redmax bcz2300s and put on it. a set of calipers will tell u they are the EXACT same diameter. the only difference is the tip end of the shaft is tapered on the redmax and the kawi isnt.but it works great the pt104 head is awesome. i have a kawi kgt27a and love it also:)

jrush
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
there was something wrong with it, it was hard to start and yest when it did start as soon as I hit the throttle it would die. Quick trip to the retailer fixed it. runs and starts beautiful now.

XterraJohn
06-19-2007, 11:39 PM

I believe that the 210 has the same 300 hour EPA engine rating as the higher-end Echo trimmers, but a less powerful engine.

KS_Grasscutter
06-19-2007, 11:50 PM
take a gear head off a redmax bcz2300s and put on it. a set of calipers will tell u they are the EXACT same diameter. the only difference is the tip end of the shaft is tapered on the redmax and the kawi isnt.but it works great the pt104 head is awesome. i have a kawi kgt27a and love it also:)

I guess I will give that a try. Am DEFINATLEY wanting a new head on it anyway since I totally HATE the stock head. Almsot bought a Husq. head for it at TSC the other day, but wasn't positive it would fit.

SPENCER HUNTER
06-20-2007, 12:17 AM
i just got me the echo210 after using those el cheap o's i'll never go back,, the the power they have is awsome,,,, plenty of it to spare go through johnson grass like cutting butter ,,i gotmine at alocal dealer,, the have the same thing at home-depot for $ 199.00 plus tax,,,, in a week or two,, i'm getting the stick edger and the hand blower too !!! "way to go echo"

GravelyGuy
06-20-2007, 12:44 AM
I guess I will give that a try. Am DEFINATLEY wanting a new head on it anyway since I totally HATE the stock head. Almsot bought a Husq. head for it at TSC the other day, but wasn't positive it would fit.

The Husqvarna head is nice. It always works flawlessly for me on my husky trimmer. I don't know if it would fit that particular Echo model though.

CrimsonLCS
06-20-2007, 02:34 AM
I got a shindawa trimmer, that has a sweet head for replacing the line, it kicks ass.. havent tryed the echo yet.. i was actualy looking into getting the kawasaki trimmer.. not sure yet though

naturescape
06-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Echo is great stuff! The 260 model trimmers are LIGHTER than than their less powerful trimmers, check their website. And unlike Shin, Echo lists the entire weight of their units!

TXNSLighting
06-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Love my echos, got the srm230s. my first trimmer was a shindaiwa, it lasted me almost 5 months. my first echo lasted me 2 years, (then it was stolen) on my second one now and its still goin strong, also have an echo edger, that i also love! they always start in two pulls.

All_Toro_4ME
06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I've used Echo trimmers for the past 3 years. Very dependable and long lasting machine. Easy starting and plenty of power.

S man
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I might eventually get a srm 261t or 260s.

fergman
06-20-2007, 03:56 PM

it will work. dont let the end of the shaft on the redmax fool you. i first looked at it and the redmax shaft was tapered. but it works great and wont strip out cuz it fits tight. i read here somewhere that someone took an echo gear head and put it on a kgt27a i tried it and it didnt even look close to working. they might have been talking about the piece you screw the head onto {swapping them out}? but i didnt fool with trying that. good luck bud youll love it!!:cool2:

fergman
06-20-2007, 04:16 PM
oops i forgot! sorry about that.... the screw wont line up on the hole in the kawasaki shaft so ull have to drill a hole in the shaft to put the screw in that keeps the geer head in place and from twisting on the shaft.BUT dont let that scare you i promise it works. the old whole from where the other screw goes in on the shaft is covered up about 95% and in my opinion and expirience it will not hurt anything at all.

yungman
11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I second all of you that said Echo is harder to start, I have a hedge trimmer and it is always a battle. I finally just prime until I feel resistance, close the choke, pull 2 times and open up and pull, it will start faster. Still it is a dance with that thing. My supposingly laughable Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmer start with 2 pull, my Shindi C4 blower start with 4 pull, and the Echo.....we dance!!!!.......It is a good exercise!!! I am not a pro, I have time.

02DURAMAX
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
LOOK At my sig!!!!....Love my ECHO's and the SRM-261T....I'll be buying the new SRM-265T this spring!!!

yungman
11-27-2007, 10:50 PM
You guys are lucky, I live in People's Republic of Kalifornia, we can't get the 30cc Echo. That will be a good trimmer for me. 5 years warrentee!!!

EagleLandscape
11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm still using the echo trimmer I bought 4 - 5 years ago. I bought a new one this spring, because I thought it was time to retire my old one, but it's going strong!!

Dodge Truck
11-27-2007, 10:52 PM

exactly echo is decent but shindy is top notch

Grouch
11-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm In the rental and OPE business. Great site you folk's have here.

Had an Echo SRM-3800 U-handle brushcutter in the rental fleet for 12 years before it gave up. At full speed, a VERY SMALL piece of carbon from the exhaust got between the cylinder and piston and trashed the engine. In the twelve years I rebuilt the carb once and replaced two muffler covers and that's about it - and this was a rental unit.

fishmagnet
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I've got a couple of Echos, a '92 model GT2400 that just won't die, and a new SRM 260 that starts on the second pull effortlessly!

We run Yamaha Ring Free in all of our two-cycle mix, and yearly clean the carbon crap build-up from the exhaust port.

No doubt this has helped longevity and easier starting!

We also have a Stihl 110 with a brush cutting triangle blade to whack Yaupon Holly saplings which abound around the perimeter of our game-fenced property in S. Texas, and that unit is a 'hoss'......so far!

Bedell Property Mgmt.
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
REDMAX! end of story :cool2:

SPENCER HUNTER
11-28-2007, 11:14 PM
the only complaint I've had it is a little cold nature-ed to crank,, after about 2 or 3 pulls it then tries to start after running 1 or 2 minutes it runs like a champ can't complain on the power it has on knocking down those weeds,,,being over 6 feet tall i then went and bought the harness that mounts to the upper shaft,,, other than that it is a great machine I never go back to those el-cheapo type trimmer's,,, i have a echo hand -held type blower since 1990,,, still running,,strong just have replaced the air filter,,and plug 3 times since new,,,hoping for a few more year's worth,,:waving:

yungman
11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
To Grouch
Do you rent out any Stihl 4 Mix, redMax, Shindaiwa or any other line trimmer? Please to me what model and how do they stand up to rental?
Thanks

yungman
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
To Grouch
Do you rent out any Stihl 4 Mix, redMax, Shindaiwa or any other line trimmer? Please tell me what model and how do they stand up to rental?
Thanks