PDA

View Full Version : reel mowers

MarcSmith
06-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey folks...

has anyone tried reel mowers....I'm talking about the manual ones like from back in the good old days... but the modern versions....

Since I no longer have to do this stuff commercially I was thinking about buying one of the manual reel mowers for my house but I was hoping for some feedback from the masses.....

Yes I know that I'll end up cutting more since I'm cutting it shorter, and I know that I'll have to have the blades and bed knives sharpened professionally.......

Just wondering if anyone has tried em...

marc

TAZ
06-18-2007, 08:58 AM
I used to use one a few years ago when I lived in a neighborhood where the lawns were super small. The one I had worked very well on grass as long as it wasn't stemmy or too long. Sharpening was a matter of using valve grinding compound and running the blades backwards.

-TAZ

MarcSmith
06-18-2007, 09:53 AM
yeah I've back lapped blades before not a big deal....do you remember which model or brand you had

TAZ
06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't remember..... I gave it away to guy I knew. I will see if he still has it and see what type it was.

-TAZ

dhardin53
06-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I worked on and had a chance to buy a National 84 real mower last year. It built for golf course. I know the reals need shaping and I got it running fine but I was not impressed with the cut. There designed to mow every 2 or 3 day (short grass). I cut ever 6 to 7 days normally and this deeper grass would ball up enough to effect the cut quality.

I was told the reals had been sharpened a short time back and the looks set right, plus this machine had a very fast ground speed that if it was slowed down it might have helped.

Just my opinion and experience.

MarcSmith
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
this is just for my own use at my house...Ive used powered reel mowers before on sports turf that Ive maintained, I'm just wondering about the human powered ones right now...