PDA

View Full Version : estimate your income loss from the drought

dhardin53
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
There is a chance a rain tonight, but we would need over a inch to even green up again. Then another 2" to get back to a regular schedule in a week or two.

With your predicted rain forecast what do you figure the drought will effected your income this year?

For me at least 25%

timmac
06-18-2007, 12:41 PM
im only mowing 25% of my lawns now. that number is dropping every week.

Tagg
06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
We are probably up 25% ours are contracts.

lawnpro724
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
going to mow most customers this week but if we don't get any rain soon that may be the last time we mow for awhile. We've been mowing every other week and every 3 wks on some.

POPO4995
06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
We are done as of today with mowing for a good couple weeks without rain; except for the 5 or so that have sprinklers...:rolleyes: But it's starting to rain right now though....thank the lord!:usflag:

rodfather
06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Without rain, this will be our last full week I can see

NewWave
06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I say we are down 15% or so in mowing. Alot of our people have irrigation. The ones that dont and dont water have turned into straw yards. We need a solid week of rain!

Thank god we do irrigation and landscape.

Fleming Lawn Services
06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
hardly cutting anything, i think i need another job in the mean time to pay the bills!!!!!

jpp
06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Way to early to even give a guess what it will be. We will probably miss at least 2 mowings in June and who knows what July and August will bring. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

JP

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Not really that bad. I lucked out by the grace of god and 3/4 of my maintenance contracts are all irrigated, so still mowing nice tall green grass every week. A few of the non-watered ones I still cut weekly because they have alot of shade and just refuse to stop growing. The other couple few have been moved to bi-weekly. So I am not worrying too much about it, yet. Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow here, which will help as long as it doesnt just pour for 15 mintues then nothing.....that is rather pointless.

chuck bow
06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
mowing is down about 80 % and around here not many sign contacts or will sign contracts that pay if you mow or not i have a few that do but not many . To much competion and to many will cut it on a per cut basis so thats what most have to do around here .Seems like when the rain gets up in our county it just drys up and disappears from the radar screen , Been mowing fulltime for 15 years and its the worst i can remember

Grits
06-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Luckily 99% of my customers have irrigation. So I haven't been very effected by the lack of rain...yet. Unless the sprinkler systems are perfect, there are still spots that die. It is taking a lot of water to keep things alive. Hopefully, the rain we got today will make it where some of you guys need it.

Surf'n'Turf
06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Without rain, this will be our last full week I can see

Surprised to hear that, Rod. We've been getting just enough in the past week or so to keep things green. It's still early, however.

jeffex
06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
we are down 50% here. I power wash decks too and I was backed up there but now I'm caught up . I was booked out 7 weeks for decks but now only 2. the lawns are 50% cut every 2 weeks and some 10 days that water or are in shade. we get a few thunderstorms to barely hang on . On the posotive side I may try and pick up a few customers when the start ups just dissappear and leave their customers hanging.

DuraCutter
06-18-2007, 10:49 PM
We are probably up 25% ours are contracts.

Sounds like the monthlies is the way to go in all instances. Why do mowing by the visit, it doesn't help in any way, does it?

;)

spin2098
06-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I have decided we are cutting everyone as normal this week and next week. Come July we are moving everyone to everyother week if they don't want cut then they will be looking for another company. The weeds will still be growing in july enough to justify that.

lawnman_scott
06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the monthlies is the way to go in all instances. Why do mowing by the visit, it doesn't help in any way, does it?

;)All of mine pay monthly. I am way down in hours worked and lawns mowed, but my income is exactly the same. Other than some new potential customers that would be calling if it had rained more. It is finally picking up and I had 9 calls for new service today.

jeffex
06-19-2007, 06:31 AM
last year we had a dry Aug. with only 1 cut in the month. Sept. rolls in with good rain and we made all our money back on aeration and see work . Even neighbors of our customers wanted their lawns restored. Their just too lazy to water or they don't realize that their water bill will be less than restoring their lawn. come on tropical storms !!!!

2 clowns mowing
06-19-2007, 07:41 AM
all i know is i'm loosing 500 a day but all of my customers are pre-paid.:cool2:

J&R
06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Income this year of May is down 15,285.00 compaired to May of last year.

F&SLawnCo
06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
We also have almost all of our clients on contract, but I am only mowing 1 out of every three weeks right now. I am not charging my cutomers the full amount, there is no way I will be able to provide anywhere close to the 32 services we build our contracts around. I will still make money, but it will be in the heighborhood of 10 to 15,000 less than I expected this year. I am thinking of organizing a rain dance, anyone interested?

lawnpro724
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
mowing is down about 80 % and around here not many sign contacts or will sign contracts that pay if you mow or not i have a few that do but not many . To much competion and to many will cut it on a per cut basis so thats what most have to do around here .Seems like when the rain gets up in our county it just drys up and disappears from the radar screen , Been mowing fulltime for 15 years and its the worst i can remember

I can't say its the worst I've seen but its the earliest and may turn into the worst if things don't change soon. I understand what you say about the rain, did the same thing around here and we didn't even get so much as a drop of rain.

lawnspecialties
06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Droughts just mean folks start coming out of the woodwork in September wanting their fescue reseeded. All my customers are contracted. Droughts just mean more money to come.payup