PDA

View Full Version : Pedestal method stairs...cinder block a no no?

djmn
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Want to build a 2 platform entryway to a house. They will be bounded by the house on one side and the garage on the other. I planned on the pedestal method until I found out that the block I'm using is $13 a pop. With app 80 square feet of platform the block alone for the stairs would be over $1000.
So my question is... Is it possible to use cinder block as the fill block?
If not, what's the best way to go about it using just modified stone fill behind?

neversatisfiedj
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
What block are u using ? I built a set of stairs once with Chapel stone and I used 6x8x16 solids as fill as they match perfect with Chapel stone.

djmn
06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Using Allan Block...Europa Dover.....
They're 8 x 10.5 x 18

Jay Works
06-19-2007, 09:07 PM
When building stairs, if no overlap on wall block is possible. I use solid 4 x 8 x 16 concrete bock. It is easy to level in the stone base and provides a flat surface to lay block, also much cheaper. I will have pics soon of a circular set of stairs I just built using this method.

djmn
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Great..thanks.
I would love to see those pics Jay Works. Please post them as soon as you can.

Jay Works
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I will be finishing by the beginning of next week.

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Go buy some EP Henry Step Filler Block. They are 6 x 8 x 16. You can use them for either 6" steps or 8" steps. You only need to buy enough filler blocks to support the risers behind each step. Fill the spaces between the step filler block and in each riser block with stone before continuing with the next row.

TIP : Do not space the filler blocks too close, or you'll have a hard time getting stone to fill up the voids between them!

djmn
06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Wish I could....No EP Henry distributer anywhere close to Minneapolis.

neversatisfiedj
06-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Just remember you have to buy a whole pallet, which is 72 pieces.

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 01:42 AM
You can use any block for that matter, as long as the height is the same. I know of several dealers that sell step filler block by the piece so call around. Again, you don't need to fill the entire inside with block. Just place step filler block, or wall block behind the risers, which will support the next row up. You don't need to have them touch (sides) as with the risers. If your steps have two corner blocks and three stretchers per row (Approximately 80"), you only need two blocks behind to support the next row of three. Fill everything in with stone before going to the next level.

Another TIP:
Most of the time you line up the back of the blocks, such as when building a retaining wall. When you do steps, you really need to line up the face. Each riser block should overlap the one below by 3/4". Mark each corner block on the top 11-1/4" in from the face. Take a straight edge, level, piece of wood etc. and line it up with your marks. Hold it there (I usually stand on it) and slide the next row of risers up to it. Since most block is split-face, you don't want big ugly gaps between the caps (treads) and the risers. This will help get the flattest edge of the riser block facing forward. You should also visually select the straightest faced block for risers to help minimize those gaps.

Champ