PDA

View Full Version : Trailer parks?

toac
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I've never bid on one before. They are average size lots for a trailer park - about 5 minutes of mowing per unit. There are 75 units. is $10 a unit too high or too low?

lawnpro724
06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I would just stay away from them! There more trouble than there worth nothing but poor people looking for a reason to sue you. They will acuse you of tearing up their skirting,scratching their car and so on. Your price is on track for the size of the lots around here but not sure if there the same where you are. I might go as high as $12-$15 per lot just to cover your a$$.

justanotherlawnguy
06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Its a trailer park, nuff said!!!

howardsells2000
06-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I get $25.00 a piece in a Mobile Park. Don't let these guys discourage you. I would only agree to do them for $10.00 a piece if you were getting the whole park. I'm not sure if that is what your asking. I have 6 of them. I don't have any problems with any of them. You do need to be carefull trimming around the skirting. Your weed wacker will tear holes in it.

KTO Enterprises
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Stay away. I used to do one and they are nothing but problems. They are right about the fact that people will accuse you of everything under the sun.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
When I started mowing in one particular trailer park, I started out with one lawn. It's $25, takes me about 15 minutes to mow, trim, and blow. He has no gate up front so I use my ExMark. Then a few years ago, I picked up the old man next door. Then his son next to him. About 2 months ago, I put a sign up in the original yard that I started with. Now I have a total of 7 customers on the one street. And for most of them, my price is roughly $30-$35. Most not having big/no gates up front. I'm not going down on my price, even if I do end up getting several more customers. I sure wouldn't charge $10/lot. That could come back to haunt you!

Runner
06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
there is absolutely NO ONE that is going to pay 30 to 35 bucks to have their "trailer lot" mowed. It just ain't happening. Furthermore,...that is JUST about what they are worth, though. By the time you go around the lawn globe, the two beds, the rock (that the mower won't fit between that and the lamp post), the birdbath, and then trim the 160 linear ft. of vinyl skirting.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
there is absolutely NO ONE that is going to pay 30 to 35 bucks to have their "trailer lot" mowed. It just ain't happening. Furthermore,...that is JUST about what they are worth, though. By the time you go around the lawn globe, the two beds, the rock (that the mower won't fit between that and the lamp post), the birdbath, and then trim the 160 linear ft. of vinyl skirting.

I don't know if we are on the same page. When you say "trailer lot" I think of open area with nothing but a fence line. Maybe I should have said "mobile home park." Sorry if there was any confusion. But I've picked up 4 customers on that street in the last 2 months and I charge $30-$35. Is that not reasonable?

Runner
06-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Yep. I am refering to a designated leased partition in a "manufactured home community". :laugh: :drinkup:

toac
06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Update - it is 60 "manufactured home community" units (thanks Runner). I told him it would be $12 a piece - he said he was looking for someone to do them all for $200! I told him I figured it would take me and a helper about 6+ hours to do. He said at $200 per cut that we'd be over $30 per hour! I explained about taxes, insurance, etc. I went on to say that I can work for $10 an hour at McDonalds. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. He did call back later last night and said it was in his budget to pay $250!!!!!

bohiaa
06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
yup I had some customers in one....

what you have to watch is the underpining. most of the time its made of Vinal, one small touch with the line trimmer and you will be replacing it....

do your self a favor and stay away..... it will cost you more than you will make

daveintoledo
06-19-2007, 09:22 AM
yup I had some customers in one....

what you have to watch is the underpining. most of the time its made of Vinal, one small touch with the line trimmer and you will be replacing it....

do your self a favor and stay away..... it will cost you more than you will make

thats all of it in a nutshell...and they dont have any money to spend

F&SLawnCo
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I make great money on both of my "trailer parks". I did learn after the first year that my contracts had to be very specific in regards to trash, damages, liability, etc. Now both of my "trailer parks" are netting a combined $5200.00 per month. I have zero liability with both of these accounts as I have taken special care to set myself up as a sub-contractor for the park manager/owners. This did take a little time and cost me about $150.00 with my attorney to get it all set up, but basically I am performing a service for the park manager/owners and I am not liable for any claims made from his renters. Last year I did break a window when I hit a golf ball with my zero turn. Worked out real simple. The manager handled everything and I paid him the cost of the damage. I have never had one problem with this setup. I'll take all the $2000.00+ a month accounts I can get.

Runner
06-19-2007, 11:55 PM
So, at $250 a cut, he is willing to pay you the generous amount of $4.17 per lot. Out of which, you take away 6 hours of burning gas, however much longer than that using gas getting to and away from this place, then your indirect expenses like use of the equipment (depreciation and service wear), insurance, labor etc., then pay your taxes. Yeah,...I agree with you...you could stay home and make that much money without leaving your driveway.
The funny thing about it is, he will find some top skimmer to sucker into doing it.

Tim Wright
06-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I charge $25.00 per customer. If I go over an hour, its more.

I do have one customer that has 14 trailers and I give him a quantity discount and charge him $15.00 per trailer.

Been doing them for three plus years now, and just this year have I had any trouble with scammers, and that one is gone.

Tim

Tim

ProMo
06-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I was just invited to bid on a 500 home comunity, lady said she needs the bid asap not sure if I will go after it or not. I only have 1 day to spare.

the Lawnmower Man
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Mobile home parks are huge down here in florida. Yes some just don't care and wouldn't pay a quarter to have there "lawn" cut. Others are nice retirement mobile homes. I run $40 a month. Real simple. In fact it is almost an unspoken trust w/ all lawn guys that that is as low as you can go. I am talking with this guy, he owns 100 mobiles in this park, and needs them all maintained. Simple math..to me it is worth it, $4000 a month would be great business. :drinkup: