PDA

View Full Version : Design help please

Victor
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone. I'd like to line my back fence with a row of Emerald Green Arborvitae. For the life of me though, I can't figure out what to use to anchor the corners of my backyard with. I think carefully selected corner plantings that bracket the Arborvitae would really look good. What ever I use to anchor the back right corner with, it can't be too tall, because my service drop runs off the pole at a height of about 15 feet.

As you can see from the pictures, there are already triangular shaped beds in the back corners of my yard (the bed in the back left corner has a Butterfly Garden planted in it). Like I said before, I think the row of Arborvitae and corner plantings will really compliment the fence as well as the whole backyard.

For the area under the Arborvitae, I'll make a gently curving bed that follows the back fence, that connects both of the corner beds.

Once the perimeter of the back yard is landscaped, I plan to work on landscaping around the pond. I'd like to go in and pull up the cobbles around the upper pond as well as the waterfall pool. I want to surround the upper pond with paver stones like the lower pond has around it and use some type of wall stone for the waterfall pool. When I'm done, I want to have a 100% formal look to this pond. Right now, I've got too many different types of stone around my pond.

Any advice on what you'd recommend using to anchor the corners would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Victor
06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I obviously plan to pull up the plants that are in the corner beds right now, so I can start fresh with whatever you recommend. I'm going to relocate the Butterfly garden plants, as well as the plants that currently reside in the bed that's in the back right corner.

VO Landscape Design
06-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Off the top of my head, maybe Rose of Sharons (3) in the corner, dwarf burning bush in front of that and then some "Moonshadow" Euonymus in front with some Coneflowers, Daisy's, Coreopsis and Blanket Flower interspersed in the corner.
VO

sheshovel
06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I would soften the corners with some ornamental grasses, tall and short. There are some really great ones to choose from.
Then add some perennial color as well.

Victor
06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I would soften the corners with some ornamental grasses, tall and short. There are some really great ones to choose from.
Then add some perennial color as well.

I've always been a huge fan of ornamental grasses Sheshovel. I love your idea. Because of the tall, 8' height of the fence and the height of the arborvitae I plan to bracket with the corner beds, what do you think about me using one Miscanthus Giganteus (Giant Maiden Grass) in each corner bed, surrounded by 3 Miscanthus Sinensis, with Coneflowers, Daisy's, Coreopsis and Blanket Flower at the front to add color like VO recommended?

The 10' to 12' height of of the Giant Maiden Grass would work well with the tall height of my fence. The Giants also have a different look and texture than normal Maiden Grass, so hopefully that would help these plants compliment one another.

There definitely wouldn't be any difficulty seeing the Giants behind the normal Maiden Grass, since Giants form such a huge clump. Another benefit of this arrangement is that the lower 5' of a Giant isn't all that attractive. The normal Maiden Grass would hide all but the more ornamental parts of the Giants.

I really like the sound of that arrangement. Thank you very much to the both of you for your help.

Giant Maiden Grass Pics

Victor
06-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Japanese Silver Maiden Grass. I think this would look good guarding the Giants.