PDA

View Full Version : drain pipe, holes or slits?

craftbender
06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm putting in a french drain. Which is best, the drain pipe with holes or slits?

craftbender
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I bought drain pipes with slits which are about 1 inch long and about 1/16 wide. Decided to go with holes which are about .5 diameter because less likely to clog with silt. Went to lowe's and traded them out. These are for my french drain.

neversatisfiedj
06-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Just put a sock over the pipe , and it won't clog.

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Is the french drain inside or outside? You won't get silt on an inside french drain. What are you doing with the water? pumping it away or drinking it? You shouldn't need any filter sock or fabric if you encapsulate the pipe with clean stone.

craftbender
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
The drain is outside and I have a blue plastic 55 gallon drum at the low end that will contain the submersible pump that will pump the water to a culvert under my driveway. Didn't have much choice. The drain is ten feet from the house and five feet deep by 12 inches wide. I absolutely will not drink that water.

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Ha.. I was only kidding about the drinking part. You should be fine the way you designed it. Since your trench is filled completely with stone, the water will drain through that as well as the pipe- even if it clogged.

How are you covering the 55 gal. drum? Probably would have been better to just purchase the sump pit as it's designed to withstand the forces of being buried and has a lid that fits too.

craftbender
06-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I think the blue plastic drum is much sturdier. In the center of the drum stands a 12 inch corrigated plastic pipe which goes up five feet and I have gravel in the drum surrounding the pipe. The top of the pipe will have a concrete ring around it with a round concrete lid and that I will cover with dirt. The drum only stands up about 34 inches and I needed a five foot height. The drum is actually buried 67 inches underground and the pipe stands about 7 inches below the surface.

I did all the digging with my new Kubota BX 24. That is one super little tractor.