PDA

View Full Version : paver supply co. destroyed my trailer!!!

mickman
06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I went to get "3" tons of delaware stone. The guy loading asked to put stone in front of trailer, so I could put my Kubota loader tractor on trailer when I got home. After loading, I pulled on scales, went in to pay, & they tell the guy whom loaded me that he was about 900 #'s lite. So I back over scales so he can dump another bucket. Pulled back on scales, went in to pay.

drove home {about 5 miles} & I get out of truck, {you guessed it} They put 8800 lbs on my 7000# trailer, all towards the front. I don't use this stone, so what did I know. The man tells him he's a 1/2 ton light, figuring I only have a little over 2 tons of stone. The tongue bent up to where the bottom of trailer is almost hitting the ground. Who's at fault?

Supper Grassy
06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Not sure, it seems as if they added an extra ton

mag360
06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
3 tons may have been too much weight for the front of that trailer anyway.
Are you sure 8800 lbs wasn't the weight of the entire trailer with stone included?

Supper Grassy
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
3 tons may have been too much weight for the front of that trailer anyway.
Are you sure 8800 lbs wasn't the weight of the entire trailer with stone included?

Good point, I think 10% of the trailer weight should be at the front, so if your tariler weighs 1800# and u add 7000# 700# of stone should be on the tounge

you overloaded your trailer you have to take it on the chin

PerfectEarth
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
7000# trailer means trailer weight INCLUDING load. You were WAY overloaded. By perhaps 2800 Lbs or more (don't know what the trailer itself weighs) Then you wanted to put a tractor on it??!! Wow.

hosejockey2002
06-18-2007, 11:30 PM
You wanted 6,000 lbs. of stone on your 7,000 lb. GVWR trailer, and then you planned on loading at least another 3,000 lbs. of tractor aboard? Sometimes ignorance is painful..:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Fatboy
06-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I've got to agree with hosejockey2002 on this one, you told them how much and where to place the stone on your trailer. I hear that if you salt it a lot steel is easier to swallow.

Fatboy

ATL Lawn
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
yeah same here, sorry. i bet its posted " WE LOAD, AT YOUR OWN RISK" sign.

you told tthem to load it on your trailer...

sorry to hear

twj721
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Time to buy a new trailer

Scag48
06-20-2007, 12:19 AM
You're at fault, you told the guy to front load it which was a mistake from the start. Even if the load would have not exceeded 7,000 pounds, having all of it forward of the axles is not safe. Sorry man, you were screwed from the start. Overloading the trailer by 1,800 pounds wouldn't ruin it by any means if the trailer was loaded correctly, the fact of the matter is that all that weight up front was what did it.

mickman
06-20-2007, 06:26 AM
It was a costly mistake learned. Didn't look like that much. They shouldn't have let me leave the scales loaded like that. I talked to the owner of the business's they own, & he agreed that it was both parties fault.

He also said that he will split the cost of fixing it, well, it can't be repaired cheaply I'm sure. Looks like I'll get my dump trailer sooner than I thought.

PS: Slightly damaged landscape trailer w/ new tires for sale...LOL

zedosix
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
You are responsible for the damage. Don't waste their time by trying to get them to listen to you. We all learn from our mistakes.

Scag48
06-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Look at it this way, nobody got hurt or killed, could have ended much worse. Learn from mistakes and keep on truckin. I had an employee back me in on our dump trailer one day and I thought I had the right size ball for the hitch (had a Reese triple ball) on our dump trailer. He backs me in, lowers the hitch on the ball before I can check it and figured the guy knew what he was doing. Went and loaded the first load of the day, drove 12 miles one way down a nasty, steep, windy hill to dump. Started dumping the trailer and about halfway up the trailer jumps the ball. WTF? Go back and look, he set the hitch down on the wrong ball. That could have been so much worse. Luckily I loaded it correctly with enough tongue weight so it stayed down even through small bumps in the road. Lucked out.

EMJ
06-23-2007, 08:29 PM
You as the operator are responsible for your own load. If you looked at the puchase ticket ,it would tell you how much stone they put on your trailer.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-25-2007, 12:54 AM
It should be fixable , even if you have to replace the tongue.

mickman
06-25-2007, 06:00 AM
We are going to repair it. Flip trailer over, heat up L- channel to bend back, then reinforce with more L-channel. Next time, I'll have them deliver it!!

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
That will work - hey , these kind of things happen , just live and learn ...

Rob.C
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I think one of my friends is going to make that mistake, he is putting a 200 gal spray system on the front of the ttrailer and his mowers in front of it, the wait is pretty close to even on the trailer, but 2100 lbs on the front of the trailer, I think thats a mistake.

mverick
06-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I've put 10 ton on my dump trailer before. I asked for 6 they gave me 10. Trailer was rated for 14,000. No damage and I hauled and dumped it.

I bent the hitch on my truck, tried loading my mini ex and bobcat on the trailer. Loaded the mini x drove to the front with all the weight on the tounge. Then couldn't get the tilt to drop. So, a waste of time. Now my hitch rides angled down. Good thing the frame didn't bend.

You overloaded the front. Your fault. If it was over the axles with around 1,000 on the tounge you'd have been fine with that weight.

Don't ask for all the weight on the front.

Sucks but it happens.

Oh, you need to cold bend it. You heat it up to bend it and you're going to ruin the temper of the steel. You'd be better off cutting the front off and adding a new one. You heat it and it's gonna be weak as heck.

mickman
06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info mverick. I'll ask if they're going to cold bend it. I am definitely reinforcing w/ angle iron.