PDA

View Full Version : Where do you dump your aggregate??

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Say you're building a nice patio that will require at least a tandem load of gravel, and the property you're workin at is a home on 1/4 acre in a planned unit development.

Do you have the tandem axle dump truck dump the gravel:
a) in the driveway
b) back over the curb and dump on the lawn
c) dump in the street
d) other (please explain)

JJG84
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Depends on whether or not you are using a bobcat.

If you are using a bobcat, you dont want to put it on the driveway because the cat will leave behind some marks - you dont want that.

If you are doing some traditional slave labor shovel/wheel barreling then I dont see any problem with dumping the aggregate on the driveway as close to the patio site as possible.

shoveling off the driveway is easier then shoveling off the grass.

do it whichever way is easiest

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, allow me to back up.

I'm not axin for advice :)

I'm jus curious where other pros dump their load.

Lets say a skiddy bopper is bein used. no wheel-burryin.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

PSUturf
06-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Here in Madison, WI we get fined $300 if any material is placed in the street. Sometimes it's dumped on driveway sometimes on a tarp on the lawn.

Henry
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
If it can't be dumped in the street we figure in a driveway sealing.

Mike33
06-18-2007, 10:45 PM
On my walls i try to get truck pretty close to site as possible. I always figure re top soiling and seeding damaged areas. This can be a real pita at times to place materials. If wall is along driveway we dump in driveway. New construction is the best situation though, you really cant damage much and we usually get the landscaping.
Mike

waltero
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a single axle dump (33,000GVW) and if I can keep all of my materials in there for the job then I don't have to clean up at all. I just did a small wall and I was able to do just this. I had the modified in the truck the first day when I was laying the base and first course and on the second day of the job I showed up with clean stone bor the back fill. Not once did any material except for the pallets hit the ground and it saved me from having to clean-up and repair.

How I do it is - I will just tilt the the dump body as much as I can and then I take scoops out of it with the front end loader. If I get down to the bottem I can just shovel the rest out or use the coal shute, but it beats having to cleanup areas in the yard. It is a big time saver and cuts down on any damage to the driveways and yards. If I have a larger job and I need to get a tri-axle to deliver then I will just do what I can, be it the driveway or the yard.

orionkf
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Mostly the street, with a tarp for overspill. Driveways have been used under certain circumstances, (HO on vacation, can't dump in street, etc). Avoid the lawn as much as possible.

paponte
06-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Well theres no way I'm barrowing a freaking tandem or better, so that would mean a machine in my case. There will already be significant lawn damage, so we will plank the curb and sidewalk and dump on the lawn. Reason being is that, we don't have to worry about getting everything out of the street in a rush, the homeowner still has full use of the driveway, and we still have access to the backyard without using all the material. Majority of the time we are doing a larger install, we sod the property as well so it makes no difference. :)

McKeeLand
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
we almost always dump in the street. we try to always get it off the street by the end of the day. only once did we run into a town that would not let you leave materials in the street. then we just move it off before the end of the day.

cgland
06-19-2007, 08:54 PM
We dump in the street, but everything dumped that day MUST be cleaned up by days end. If the situation allows us, we also like to work material out of the truck as Walter does. This really only works on smaller jobs. On the larger ones when tandem loads are necessary the street is the preferred area.

Chris

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
We always dump in the street on jobs where there is limited access to the property. We always keep the piles covered and neatly coned up if they have to say overnight. Most of the work is in new subdivisions, where the roads haven't been turned over to the county yet. On smaller residential jobs, dumping in the driveway usually works (unless they're pavers ha..) In that case, we unload two wheelbarrow's at a time from the truck. In a case where we must dump on lawn areas, we place 4-6 sheets of 3/4 plywood down first and butt-plate them together. The stone can be scooped up with a loader very easily. We never scoop right down to the wood, until most of the pile is gone. This saves the wood and makes it easier to scoop up the rest with plastic grain hog shovels. Less turf damage is the key to keeping your overall job costs down.

GroundScapesIncorporated
06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
If it is a job that will require multiple trips to the patio (larger jobs), resulting in damaged lawn that will require being fixed anyway, we will just dump in the lawn and not worry about the damage, We always put down a couple sheets of 3/4 plywood when driving off the edge of asphalt to help protect the edge.
Ive found that alot of times when trying to protect the lawn, we end up with alot of wasted time by trying to do so.

zedosix
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM
On the road for sure, lawn is definetely out of the question. Driveway is an alternative but the skidsteer ususally leaves the asphalt in questionalbe condition when we are done. I have on occasion had the driveway resealed. At night we would usually have the pile completely gone, if not it is piled neatly, and swept. Then pylons are placed close by.