PDA

View Full Version : Little help please?

fiveoboy01
06-19-2007, 02:51 AM
I have a customer who wants a bed cut around the perimeter of their home.

They want fabric down and either mulch or stone installed depending on the final price. No plants per their request.

220 LF of edging. The customer has requested plastic edging. There are 2 elevation changes as the bed curves around two small rock retaining walls. The rest of it is flat and is graded away from the foundation pretty well already. I've figured an averege width of 4 feet for the bed.

I would be renting a sod cutter and bed edger for this job.

I'm a little stumped on how much rock I'd need in yardage. Not sure how much the necessary material would vary as opposed to mulch. I'd be using 1-22" stone.

I know my material costs and equipment rental costs, but a little stumped at how long each portion would take to perform timewise(cutting sod, cutting edge, installing edging, laying fabric).

I also have the time down on the mulch, but since stone is heavier, I don't think anyone's moving a heaping wheelbarrow of it at once. I'm wondering how long it takes you guys to lay down a yard of stone, provided the bed is close. In this case it would be dumped on the driveway, and the circumference of the actual house is around 40x60 or so. So the trips would not be too long.

I'd appreciate any guesstimates on time figures. I've got numbers written down and they seem pretty logical, but I do want to CMA on this one. I will have a crew of 3 or 4 working on this. This of course provided that the customer accepts my proposal, which I really believe he will not once given the price.

sheshovel
06-19-2007, 04:12 AM
OK you can't use "about" or "or so" or approximates here. Go measure exactly the sq footage of the beds you are going to create. Length x width then decide how deep you are going to go with the rock, 3"? 4"".
Then take your total sq' and x by the depth you are going to lay the rock in at.
say for example 100sq'x4" deep..then use this formula
sq' x depth x .0033 and that will give you the amount of rock you will need in yds.

100x4= 400 x .0033 = 1.32 yards of rock. Always round up, so that would be 2 yards in that example.

Double the time you usually install mulch, for installing rock.
I can't tell you amount of time it takes to do anything else because there is no way I can know how fast or efficiently you or your help can perform the work.

MarcSmith
06-19-2007, 06:43 AM
keep in mind trhat many rock places sell rock by the ton not bythe yard. and 1.5 tons of rock ends up being about one yard of rock...

http://www.luckstone.com/arch/projectgallery/diy_mulch/estimator.php

they also have an aggregate division with good info as well...

http://www.luckstone.com/crushed/locations/ton_estimator.php

fiveoboy01
06-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for those links Marc. My supplier sells rock by the yard, and he told me a while ago that one yard is a tad over 2800#, so that sounds right.

I'm aware that I may not be as fast or as efficient as the she but I'd still like to know an approximate time to complete something like this. I'd probably add some time onto it as I'm sure I'm not as fast as the "pros".

MarcSmith
06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
figure an hour per ton to move and place...

LindblomRJ
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
figure an hour per ton to move and place...

True. But distance and grade is a major factor.

MarcSmith
06-19-2007, 12:45 PM
True. But distance and grade is a major factor.

correct. and amount. one ton is much easier to spread than 15... especial by hand....

LindblomRJ
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
correct. and amount. one ton is much easier to spread than 15... especial by hand....

Tell me about it! Been there done that a couple of weeks ago. :dizzy:

MarcSmith
06-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I helped my friend build a patio. 14 tons of 21a for the base....in february, 200' from pile to patio. one wheel barrow at a time....the two of us moved the pile and graded an tamped in a day, Not fun....