PDA

View Full Version : How to light this

Mike M
06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm putting 6 of these on each side of my driveway and want to know how to light them?

Am thinking line-voltage metal halide well lights with varying colored lenses. Does Malibu make a pre-wired set for something like this?

Thanks in advance,:waving:

Mike M.

PS: I have a small car, do I need to put the wires under the driveway, or just leave them across the surface?

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 10:22 AM
how much room is in the basin ? Large trees to down light them from ??? Not enough info.

Im not even going to reply to the malibu or leaving the wires on top of the driveway comments. You should know that answer yourself

If there is room maybe a kichler 15191 inside the basin? depending where they are going will determine some plans. back light em maybe... thoes gazing balls will be glare bombs so dont think about pointing a spot at them. Might look real cool with a tree light pointed down at them.

This post makes me think Mike is a high end home owner and not a lighting contractor!!!!!

Mike M
06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
This post makes me think Mike is a high end home owner and not a lighting contractor!!!!!

LOL. I was kidding. I opened my e-mail today, and one of the landscape e-magazines has this thing advertised as a sweepstakes give-away!!

If I was a teenager again, I'd be taking those balls from all my neighbors and rolling them down mountain roads.

Mike

NightScenes
06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
how much room is in the basin ? Large trees to down light them from ??? Not enough info.

Im not even going to reply to the malibu or leaving the wires on top of the driveway comments. You should know that answer yourself

If there is room maybe a kichler 15191 inside the basin? depending where they are going will determine some plans. back light em maybe... thoes gazing balls will be glare bombs so dont think about pointing a spot at them. Might look real cool with a tree light pointed down at them.

Billy, c'mon man, you had to know this is a joke?? You were just playing along right?

I would light them with dynamite. It would be a short lived lighting but it would really have some bang.

David Gretzmier
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I know this thread is a joke, but I can't turn off my lighting brain- 4, 5 or 10 watt lights at each side of square underwater, 60 degree floods, this would look pretty cool at night. maybe a moon light from above to create a rainbow off the ball?

NightScenes
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I think you would want to use 20 watt bab lamps. The black would absorb all of a lesser wattage lamp. It would look really cool if it were spot lighted from above.

Mike M
06-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't want to over do it, it might take away from the pond I put in the driveway. Only problem is that my wife keeps driving into it.

By the way, the neighborhood kids and some dad's are abusing my putting green. I never should have put that in my front yard. You guys have no idea how hard it is being a high-end homeowner. You know how you make fun of that "runway lights" effect? It is a runway--I have a Cessna in my garage.

Mike M

Mike M
06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
"I would light them with dynamite"

Perfect!!!

NightScenes
06-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Mike, I have a client right now that "insisted" on a runway and guess what? What the client wants, the client gets. This is a $30k install (not just paver lights) and we are putting in paver lights along the driveway every 10' on each side (about 40 in all. I can't wait to see it. I bet she will be thrilled!!

Mike M
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
we are putting in paver lights along the driveway every 10' on each side (about 40 in all.

Can't you persuade her to go with pagodas?