PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM 2100 trimmer prob runs for 5min then chokes out

mauler01
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
this problem just started out of nowhere. ran fine the day before. i have an srm 2100 runs strong and great for 5 minutes or until it is heated up to running temp. then it just acts like i throw the choke on and it bogs out. i can restart it usually, but itwill rev up for 2 sec then start bogging out again.
i replaced the spark plug andthe primer bulb since it was cracked, but i still have the same problems.

Ironic
06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
maybe plugged fuel cap? once it dies, loosen the cap. if it sucks in air, it's plugged. just something to check.

dutch1
06-19-2007, 05:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the 2100 should have a three hole tank grommet, one line of which is attached to the tank vent. You should be able to suck air through the tank vent but not able to blow air through it. You may want to replace the intank fuel filter. From your description I would lean toward the fuel filter. If that doesn't take care of the problem, then possibly diagphram in the carb is not pumping fuel properly. Is there a possibility that the unit could have been straight gassed? I have worked on units that have been straight gassed that run well until they get hot then lose compression. If you have a spark checker, run it with the spark checker until it quits, noting if it continues to retain spark on shutdown.

Since you indicate it initially runs out well I don't suspect a plugged antispark screen in the muffler.

Dutch

mauler01
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
staight gas has definatly not been run through it. ill have to check the vent. what should the compression be on it? i tried to buy a fuel filter but the ******s at my echo dealer did not even have it in stock.

mauler01
06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
ok i checked the vent. it is fine.
my bad news is i checked the compression. only 60-70 psi. im sure that is too low. is there any chance i could replace the piston and it would be ok or is that a waste to do?

Ironic
06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
ok i checked the vent. it is fine.
my bad news is i checked the compression. only 60-70 psi. im sure that is too low. is there any chance i could replace the piston and it would be ok or is that a waste to do?
if anything, it'd be the rings.
add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinder, then recheck compression. if it comes up a bunch, the rings are toast

mauler01
06-20-2007, 04:04 PM
you know a good place to get echo parts? ill have to try that when i get home ive got to go to a job ill post later

dutch1
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't buy any parts until you break it down and check out the jug as well as the rings. Definitely with only 60-70 psi you certainly have some jug/ring/piston problems. You may want to check out the repower shortblocks that are available and a consideration would be the number of hours you have on the unit. If you're convinced that a straight gas situation has not occurred then the problem likely is either a result of dirt ingestion or a ring that has broken. In any case an inspection will give you some ideas.

Dutch

ed2hess
06-20-2007, 06:44 PM
How old is this unit? I have never had to replace a piston or rings in an Echo trimmer across many many years.....Have you done anything to check to see if the coil is failing....when it stops check for spark or use ohm meter to check resistance....better not be open relative to ground. I guess you put in a new fuel filter, changed the breather, and made use the exhaust ports are not plugged.

mauler01
06-21-2007, 04:17 PM
well i tried the oil in he spark hole and tried the compression again. jumped it up to 115 lbs. that being from 60-70.
here are some pics of the top end. the bottom seems goodto me still. the piston has some blow by, at least thats what we called it on 4 cyl volkswagen motors. the piston does not seem scratched up or worn bad, samefrom the cylinder
you think just the rings need replaced? or the piston too?
http://esnips.com/imageable/large/77706ae3-3bd6-4b50-ab30-6fece8d25092
http://esnips.com/imageable/large/8e697899-7a45-4aca-be67-90f26e61e0ac

mauler01
06-24-2007, 10:02 AM
can anyone tell me if i need to replace the rings or both the piston and rings?