PDA

View Full Version : Is my price to high or is the customer getting cheap?

spin2098
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a account we have been doing now for about 4 years this year the guy wants to start crying about the price. He owns other propertys around the region where we don't do service and he says that my price is high. He says the price for grass is good but your mulch and pruning is to high. I am not going into the pruning but the place takes 17yards of mulch. We are using red bark mulch and the price is at about $1250. Is this high or normal I think it is normal if not low. Let me know what ya"ll think.

gmcplowtruck
06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
seems about right to me what are you paying per yard of mulch i was always told if u pay 30 charge 60 or more if you have to wheel it a little bit thats how ive been doing it prices are higher now because of gas

muddstopper
06-19-2007, 08:45 PM
If he thinks your mowing prices are good, then you must be low. Just explain to him that you can lower your pruning and mulching prices, but you will have to makeup for it by raiseing your mowing prices.

laxweber37
06-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm in Long Island NY. Here we get $60 a yard for our reg brown mulch and $65 a yard for Red and our Black mulch. I pay $15-$16 for the brown and $20-$21 for the Red and the Black. On jobs that are 5 yards or less I try to charge more per yard to make it worth my while. For the job you are speaking of I would have charged $1100 and then I would have added in a little more for my time to pick up and deliver. So I would have to say your price is not to high at all.

EVM
06-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I have a account we have been doing now for about 4 years this year the guy wants to start crying about the price. He owns other propertys around the region where we don't do service and he says that my price is high. He says the price for grass is good but your mulch and pruning is to high. I am not going into the pruning but the place takes 17yards of mulch. We are using red bark mulch and the price is at about $1250. Is this high or normal I think it is normal if not low. Let me know what ya"ll think.

Does your price include spade edging the bedding areas? Alot of people do different things while they are on a mulch job so you have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I would say $150 a yard is a good deal.

topsites
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Seeing how you already have a base of mulch, I might try and see if a thinner spread would work out, less mulch used = lower price, everybody wins.

cldc2007
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
...wow, you guys are getting good coin for mulch.....the average price in Charlotte area is $50-55 per yard....tell him you could spread pallet mulch for a cheaper price.....

Focal Point Landscapes
06-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Similar prices around here.

laxweber37
06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
$150 a yard is crazy. I don't know anyone who would pay $2,550 for 17 yards of mulch. One man, one yard of mulch, one hour. I use that as a guide for myself. My time is worth $55-$65 an hr to me. I'm not selling mulch when it comes down to it I'm selling my time. So your charging about $150 an hr to put down mulch? Are you doing more than mulch? Weeding, edging, or trimming? I can see the $150 a yard if your doing some extra things.

GarPA
06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Spin...your price on the mulch is not too high. I pay almost $30 a yard for dyed mulch and I dont spread any kind of mulch for less than $55/yard. Bed edging is extra. I'm also in PA so we have a similar market.
This guy sounds like in the long term he will find a low baller so get ready to say bye bye.

rodfather
06-27-2007, 06:16 AM
I came up with $1275.

rodfather
06-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Spin...your price on the mulch is not too high. I pay almost $30 a yard for dyed mulch and I dont spread any kind of mulch for less than $55/yard. Bed edging is extra. I'm also in PA so we have a similar market.
This guy sounds like in the long term he will find a low baller so get ready to say bye bye.

First Hoss and now you Gary...talk about a voice from the past !!! :waving:

capetan
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
i normally weed & edge before i mulch, and haul some old mulch and all weeds, i charge 100 to 120 a yard, and charge no additional price, just to spread mulch 1200 is good price especially if you pick it up, if it was delivered 1050 would be my lowest price....1200 is good