PDA

View Full Version : LV wire through exterior wall

FThera
06-19-2007, 04:39 PM
What is the correct way to run Low Voltage wire through an exterior wall?

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Hire a contractor who knows what he is doing :laugh:

Most transformers are not rated for indoor mounting anyways. But to answer your question... it must be in conduit

Eden Lights
06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Properly sized conduit as per nec fill calculations. We run a lot of wire in the crawl space, but maintain our transformers outside as much as possible.

FThera
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Pro-Scapes;1869574]Hire a contractor who knows what he is doing :laugh:

:rolleyes: Hiring a Contractor doesn't mean it's going to get done right. My buddy just had lights installed by one of the bigger and higher buck LV Contractors in the cities. One of four Transformers is mounted in the garage and the wires just run through the wall and brick with a BIG old squeeze of Caulk to seal it up. :hammerhead:

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
:laugh: was it a lighting contractor or a landscaper....i would be calling them back and making sure than trans is rated for indoor mounting and make them install conduit before spooging it up

and note i said hire a contractor WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.... i didnt just say hire a contractor.:laugh:

FThera
06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Hire a contractor who knows what he is doing :laugh:

Most transformers are not rated for indoor mounting anyways. But to answer your question... it must be in conduit

It was a HIGH END Lighting Contractor. They have an office and display garden that I would say should easily would be worth $6-700,000. That's a BIG nut. A lot of the splices I saw, didn't look to great either.

T

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
wow... scary... My house isnt even worth that but my splices and work are :) Im in this because I have a passion for it not to build huge offices and display gardens.

Email me thru my website. I would love to know who this person is.

David Gretzmier
06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
a few folks like light-house franchise, and my buddy in chicago ONLY mount inside, preferably in the garage on the outside wall.

mount on stud, 3/4 " conduit, through wall and into ground out side, then out of conduit. I like outside, but really, these things should be safe inside.

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
should be and what they are rated for is different. Im sure they will be fine inside but they are not all rated for it therefore its a liability issue. Im sure with snow areas and such it should actually be a bit safer inside but then again I cant reccomend it or do it without a trans rated for it.

Another issue is serviceability.. Someone has to be home on your service visits.

Eden Lights
06-19-2007, 11:10 PM
a few folks like light-house franchise, and my buddy in chicago ONLY mount inside, preferably in the garage on the outside wall.

mount on stud, 3/4 " conduit, through wall and into ground out side, then out of conduit. I like outside, but really, these things should be safe inside.

The largest landscape lighting company in the US mounts on the inside in my area.

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
thats it... OLP is doing it... No more transformers outside guys. Am I missing something or are they not rated for this and its a liability.. please ... school me my jedi masters.

Is it ok as long as the lights are outside ? If im not mistaken the last trans I hung said on the trans or on the papers "for outdoor use only"

Eden Lights
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I was only making a statement about who does what. I try to mount all my transformers on the outside on non-combustable materials.

NightScenes
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
thats it... OLP is doing it... No more transformers outside guys. Am I missing something or are they not rated for this and its a liability.. please ... school me my jedi masters.

Is it ok as long as the lights are outside ? If im not mistaken the last trans I hung said on the trans or on the papers "for outdoor use only"

Billy, some transformers are only rated for outdoor use. Most good transformers can be used in or outside. It's VERY rare that I mount a transformer indoors.

Pro-Scapes
06-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I was only making a statement about who does what. I try to mount all my transformers on the outside on non-combustable materials.

I know man. Im not busting your stones or anything.

David Gretzmier
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
my guess is the ones UL listed are ok for indoor and outdoor, but I don't know. The Fx ones I usually use don't mention indoor or outdoor, So I figure they are OK with both.

I Mount outside 95% of the time, but I'd like to think these things don't get so hot they'd catch drywall or wood on fire. If my trans gets so hot it's gotta be on stone or brick, I'm switching brands. every one I've installed can be touched by the hand comfortably.

as far as fire and short circuits, there's plenty of mulch and plants outside to catch a spark. after all- there is 1) fuse/circuit breaker inside the trans, in mine anyway 2) a gfci button on the outlet, then a 3) circuit breaker inside the homes fusebox. if all three of these fail to shut off electricity to the trans in the event of overload or spark, let's face it, the last thing saving you is being on a brick wall with no mulch around. It seems silly to be forced to do that when you have 3 other things that should work.

NightScenes
06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
You may want to check on those FX transformers, I believe that they are rated for exterior use only. (I'm not 100% on this though)

David Gretzmier
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I looked through the literature that comes with them, no mention of indoor or outdoor, but I'll look again.

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
my guess is the ones UL listed are ok for indoor and outdoor, but I don't know. The Fx ones I usually use don't mention indoor or outdoor, So I figure they are OK with both.

I Mount outside 95% of the time, but I'd like to think these things don't get so hot they'd catch drywall or wood on fire. If my trans gets so hot it's gotta be on stone or brick, I'm switching brands. every one I've installed can be touched by the hand comfortably.

as far as fire and short circuits, there's plenty of mulch and plants outside to catch a spark. after all- there is 1) fuse/circuit breaker inside the trans, in mine anyway 2) a gfci button on the outlet, then a 3) circuit breaker inside the homes fusebox. if all three of these fail to shut off electricity to the trans in the event of overload or spark, let's face it, the last thing saving you is being on a brick wall with no mulch around. It seems silly to be forced to do that when you have 3 other things that should work.

ALL transformers should be UL or ETL listed. Never install any import or cheap off brand transformer, as a serious fire can result. Transformers that are listed should be fine indoor or out, provided that the wiring is routed through suitable conduit where it passes through exterior walls. No transformer thats listed by UL or ETL is ever going to get so hot that it will catch on fire, or catch a wall on fire.

FThera
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I talked to Acme re: their Pool and Spa Transformers yesterday and they said no problem with inside, install away.

Frank

Chris J
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
So did they answer your initial question about running cable through the wall? What was the answer from the pros who know?

niteliters
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I am building a house and there is a big green ugly transformer in my yard, it doesn't get really hot..it has a metal box around the transformer...I think I'll have that thing put in my garage so it's not such an eyesore in my yard. true, lot more volts being transformed but that's why the box is so big...to handle the heat...it'll help keep my garage warm in the winter. :)

David Gretzmier
06-20-2007, 11:32 PM
you could run a pump around it for a block heater for your car...:laugh:

Chris J
06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Chris M,
will you please be silent? This is a serious web site, and no nonsense is tolerated. Who do you think you are dealing with here? Professional contactors? Jeeezz!

niteliters
06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
amen brother

FThera
06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Lets see here...if it transformer box gets hot enough to burn something, what goes first, the cedar siding....or the firecode sheetrock in the garage. I'll opt for the garage with the heat sensor on my alarm system..

Name ONE instance of a LV transformer burning a house down.

I don't think ANY UL approved tansformer is going to get hot enough to do that.

Eden Lights
06-21-2007, 12:26 AM
The Garage

FThera
06-21-2007, 12:26 AM
So did they answer your initial question about running cable through the wall? What was the answer from the pros who know?

Chris...there are wise men, and wise "guys"...which one of those are you again? :confused:

Frank

Chris J
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Chris...there are wise men, and wise "guys"...which one of those are you again? :confused:

Frank

Are you kidding me? Those that speak do not know.... Those who know do not speak.... I'm a freaking loud mouth! Does that tell you anything?
In all seriousness, there are a few things that I do know. In most instances, I will keep my mouth shut if I don't know the answer to your question, or if I can't think of a really smart-ass comment to make about it. In most cases, however, I will usually find something funny to say about every thing. Therefore, as you learn to love me for who I am you must remember this: Take everything I say with a grain of salt. It is very hard to realize emotion through email. I am usually just joking around unless I'm talking about a specific product or method of doing business.
Like me or hate me, I still tricked my wife into it!
:D

Chris J
06-21-2007, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Pro-Scapes;1869574]Hire a contractor who knows what he is doing :laugh:

:rolleyes: Hiring a Contractor doesn't mean it's going to get done right. My buddy just had lights installed by one of the bigger and higher buck LV Contractors in the cities. One of four Transformers is mounted in the garage and the wires just run through the wall and brick with a BIG old squeeze of Caulk to seal it up. :hammerhead:

Frank,
For the extra price of the plane ticket, I'll be more than happy to install your lighting system for you. No need to fret about your friends bad experience...we all have bad days.

FThera
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
LOL...Chris

No Problem...We ALL do have those bad days. :waving:

BTW I checked out your website...NICE WORK!

Frank

Chris J
06-21-2007, 01:30 AM
LOL...Chris

No Problem...We ALL do have those bad days. :waving:

BTW I checked out your website...NICE WORK!

Frank

So, When can I expect to receive the plane ticket?