PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 6 Hp kill switch

burlap
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a Kohler ch 6 off of a Lawn Vac that doesn't have any spark. There is a wire coming off the module with a male and female plug. I assume it is for the kill switch - but I can't see where it is suppose to plug in. I got the manual off the internet but that hasn't helped me. There is a stop lever but nothing that would hook to the wire. What is missing? Thanks, Lloyd

khouse
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
How are you testing for spark? If your using the spark plug then maybe it's bad. Check spark by holding the plug wire 1/4 inch from ground. If no spark then disconnect the wire you speak of (kill wire). Then check for spark. If no spark then replace the coil. If you do have spark then you'll need to trace the kill wire back to see if it's a safety switch issue or a short to ground.

burlap
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a new spark plug. I was hesitant to replace the module or coil until I had everything connected. What is the kill wire supposed to be connected to? Right now it's not connected. I suppose that means it can't be grounded or turned off. So, even if it's the coil and I get it to start---I can't turn it off. So either way I have to know what that kill wire from the coil is supposed to be connected to. Lloyd

khouse
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't know on that unit what the kill wire connects to. I do know that if it is grounded it will kill the spark. Re read my 1st post

Bill Kapaun
06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
In the manual-
Fig 8.2 shows the lead that grounds the coil/module to kill the engine.
Reference is also made to some engines having the "old fashioned" spark plug grounding strap.
IF you have an OHM Meter, the next couple pages show you how to test the module.
As stated on page 8.7, "Some models are equipped with a 0.5 amp unregulated battery charging system.
That's probably your second wire.
WHITE kill
BLACK charge

burlap
06-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm going to try a new module and fabricate a kill switch. I still can't get any spark with or without the kill wire on the module. There is no switch beyond the wire coming from the kill post to the connectors on the end. I would think a toggle switch between the kill wire and ground would turn it off. All I can figure is the guy who had it before me must have just pulled the spark plug wire off when he wanted to turn it off. Thanks, Lloyd