PDA

View Full Version : Raised Mortared Flag Patio help

PowerPlay
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this one. I have a customer who wants a mortared flagstone patio about 750ft2. The difficult part is he has three doors on the back side of the house about 18" off the ground. He does not want a deck since we are pulling the old one out. Does not want pavers either. We are considering a split level patio with a 7" drop off of two of the doors leaving about an 10-11" slab to be poured. Is a slab that thick likely to crack? Do we need rebar? I'm concerned about settling issues and think we would still need a 4" abc base minimum. Any thoughts?

MarcusLndscp
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this one. I have a customer who wants a mortared flagstone patio about 750ft2. The difficult part is he has three doors on the back side of the house about 18" off the ground. He does not want a deck since we are pulling the old one out. Does not want pavers either. We are considering a split level patio with a 7" drop off of two of the doors leaving about an 10-11" slab to be poured. Is a slab that thick likely to crack? Do we need rebar? I'm concerned about settling issues and think we would still need a 4" abc base minimum. Any thoughts?

Standard base prep.....remove all organic matter and compact sub grade. You can use gravel or crushed stone for you base....I've done both. Up here we use 8-12" of material. Down south I doubt you need that much. We always build a cage out of either 1/2" or 5/8" rebar and do an 8" pour minimum. I have pics of some cages if you wish. Our rebar is always pinned into the foundation of the house or any other concrete structure when applicable. Why not dry laid?

PowerPlay
06-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Marcus. Dry laid may be an option. What would you use around the perimeter to contain the abc? We would have to dig a footer, pour concrete, mortar cinder blocks, and then veneer the wall. Or an engineered block wall which I am not sure how it would look aesthetically with natural flag. I am trying to figure the least costly way to do it and think that the concrete route is probably the cheapest if it is structural stable and there are no settling issues. If we pour a slab we can just veneer the sides without having to get into the block. What do you think?

Any pics of your cages would be appreciated. How do you pin the rebar into the foundation exactly?

BTW, your hardscaping and stone patios are the best I have ever seen!

MRBsx2
06-19-2007, 08:21 PM
This is the kind of stuff i do all the time(masonry love it) I will tell you exactly how i would do this job. If he wants it raised thats perfectly fine you dig a footer around the perimeter of the patio and pour concrete, then lay block to desired height and depending on weather or not you want stone around the edge you will need to leave a stone shelf 6". Then the whole area where the patio gos needs to be filled with #57 stone to desired height to allow for at least a 4-5" concrete slab and i would put rebar and wire in the slab then lay your flagstone. Do not use cr6 it needs to be 57s so that there is no settling later, its not like pavers were **** can settle and shift if something settles a little bit you will have cracks....Dont forget about drainage on the patio also....Hope this helps

Just to credit myself I am a mason here in Maryland and stone masonry brick work and grading is all i do so if you need any help jus ask me.....A good stone mason is hard to come by any more

MarcusLndscp
06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
sorry, missed the part about the split level patio. Will you have a wall between the two patios or will you have a one level patio with a wall around the perimeter like the other guy said?
If it's one level do you have the opportunity to just bring plant bed or lawn to the patio edge instead of doing a small 8" or so retainer? It's surely more cost effective than dealing with stone shelves and block work for such a small exposure. But I'm not sure of your site conditions.

PowerPlay
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks MRB, that is good info. The design is still open for the project. I attached a pic which should show the site fairly well. Any ideas would be appreciated. The door that gets the majority of the traffic is the one that comes out of that bay window. The deck currently measures 45L x 15W. The split level idea would be a step down from the bay window area to a lower level with maybe a little knee wall on the lower perimeter. Maybe a little wall on the upper part also. Just ideas though.