PDA

View Full Version : Doesnt make sense.

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
It doesn't make sense to me that lowe's and feed stores can sell fertilizer to happy homeowner to misuse in whatever way they like, but an LCO has to have a license to fertilize.

If I have to have a license to install it a homeowner has no business installing it either.

I base my reasoning on the fact that my dad is in the auto repair biz and when R-12 was in car a-c systems a pro with a license was the only one that could buy it. Johnny do it himself could not saunter on down to the local Pep Boys and purchase R-12.

If a pro has to have a license to install fertilizer a homeowner shouldnt be able to install it himself either.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, they figure the homeowner may not be getting the good chemicals that we usually get. Most go there and get pre-mixed stuff and go to war. And they are only using it on their property alone, thats it. We go out and put down gallons of chemicals and several hundred pounds, if not even tons of fertilizer each year on multitudes of properties. And we are transporting it on our trucks, trailers, etc for miles. They want us to get the proper training, since we are professionals, and know what to do just in case of a spill or an accident. It makes sense, cause there is alot more than just spraying and dumping down fert. There is the weed id, plant id, etc to it as well. I have no problem with the licensing. In Ohio, you get some study materials, take a test, and then pay 35 bucks to get the license. Then renew yearly, and take a 5 hour "brush up" class to renew. Its no big deal really, just part of the gig

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I just think that if a material can do as much damage as fertilizer homeowners have no business dealing with it. Think of all the do it yourselfers and they probably put down 10 times as much chemical as pros. And they are the onse that dont care how close to ponds and marshes they get. and how much to put down.

By your reasoning anyone should be able to pollute as long as its their own personal pollution. That would be like saying since I am only one person I can bury my garbage in my yard if I want to, but waste managemant has to take it to a land fill

06-19-2007, 11:36 PM
You do make a very good point. I think it boils down to the government just trying to get that extra dollar anyway they can

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Exactly! Its like in my state, I have to carry workers comp, even though it doesnt protect anyone ( I am a solo operation) if I want to do work for State licensed Contractors

06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
It is the same here too, and I am also a solo operation. If you choose to "opt out" you kinda cut your chances at landing a few good jobs.

bare spot
06-20-2007, 02:52 AM
I just think that if a material can do as much damage as fertilizer homeowners have no business dealing with it. Think of all the do it yourselfers and they probably put down 10 times as much chemical as pros. And they are the ones that dont care how close to ponds and marshes they get. and how much to put down.

By your reasoning anyone should be able to pollute as long as its their own personal pollution. That would be like saying since I am only one person I can bury my garbage in my yard if I want to, but waste managemant has to take it to a land fill
good thread,,had a couple of yards where the homeowners did a do it yourself and damaged there lawn big time. don't believe they had a clue on overusing this stuff, one told me she didn't use spreader and other at first didn't want to believe it, took a couple of days for that one. anyway in my opinion bottom line and the almighty is always a factor in many cases.

topsites
06-20-2007, 03:03 AM
Oh I know it, I've been fuming over this silently for years, the entire rigmarole surrounding chemapp licensing just chokes and gags me to tears, it ain't right.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much we can do, beyond contacting local congressmen who then open up their eyes in our direction in the first place... That in turn could open up one nasty can of worms after the next, too.

It's like taxes, every year I realize there are some deductions I get skipped over on, some kind of way.
But then I also know of some forms of income that slipped under the radar, and it should add out in the end, kinda.

So I keep thinking let sleeping dogs lie, leave well enough alone.

STRINGALATION
06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
That in turn could open up one nasty can of worms after the next, too.
But then I also know of some forms of income that slipped under the radar, and it should add out in the end, kinda.
So I keep thinking let sleeping dogs lie, leave well enough alone

well put. across the bridge in IND i have to have brakes on my single axle 6x8 trailer.
might make us take courses for invasive plants, carrying around all those gas cans. think about the big 110 galls full of diesel
running equipment that can kill or mame accidently

but maybe approached from a home owner aspect i aagree it should only be made available to a person with a license .. i geuess i better start studying haz mat and osha booklets:hammerhead:

Lksd Lawn
06-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I just saw the other day on an ABC or FOX affiliate via satellite that the DEP is following New York Landscapers stopping them and checking their vehicles, trailers, hell they were even digging through the clippings to see if they were carrying any pesticides/fert and were licensed properly.

I thought the same thing.

Joe shmoe can do what ever he wants but we cant unless we are licensed.

Im surprised we dont see more NY LCO s here on this thread. Wondering if anyone here got stopped

KTO Enterprises
06-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I would love to see a cop try to search my property without a warrant. I dont carry pesticides or insecticides but let a cop try to search my vehicle without a warrant. A lot of people will be dressing in black.

LushGreenLawn
06-21-2007, 07:35 AM
A cop only needs probable cause to search a vehicle. And based on what you are saying, alot of people may be wearing black, but you would be wearing orange for a long time.

Mountain Peak
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I have no problem with having to take the steps to get a licence, but I'd really like to see it enforced with the smaller mowers who do it without a licence. Right now I sub all my fert jobs until I get my licence done. It's a little more challenging in Colorado to get a pesticide applicators licence.

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Beh, I agree with you KTO, but what can be done.

I'd more like to see broader enforcement against those who aren't licensed. I don't have mine yet, but I'm working on it.

johnnywill08
06-29-2007, 01:22 PM
its based on the principal that homeowners would not knowingly do any harm to their own props. kinda like how, if i rewire a room in my house and the house burns down, insurance still pays off because of that assumption.

the thinking is one homeowner per prop as opposed to a contractor doing hundreds. if their both equally stupid, which one does more damage.

not saying i agree with it, prob the opposite, but that's the thinking.