PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a seeding job

iceman1733
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey everyone..I have a few questions after I put an estimate in for a seeding job at someones house. The area I am going to be seeding is a 3,000 sq. ft. area which previously was an above ground swimming pool. The seed I am using is a mix of kentucky blue grass from a local seed place because that was the request by the owner. The process I think I was going to follow was:
Trim up ground since there was a few weeds
Rake ground to break up the soil
Im going to get about 2 scoops of top soil to put a light coating over the area
Possibly till the ground up if you think I should
Rake it again
Seed and Put down the starter fertilizer
Lightly rake and roll with a light roller under 25 lbs to get the seeds contact w/the ground
Straw with the weed-free straw for a light covering
Then Water

I had a few questions to go along with what I am doing. I was wondering if you think I should till that area when I add the top soil or do you think it's not necessary. Also I had done no soil analysis on the soil cuz I just got the job today and the customers wants the yard done this week so if I threw down some lime down like 30-40 lbs for that 3,000 sq. ft. of the circle (30ft in diameter for the length of the area). If you have any questions feel free to ask and I really appreciate any help that you guys have to offer!!

Thanks,
Jeff

LawnSolutionsCP
06-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Keep it simple. Just rent a good power seeder. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do the entire thing. You will spend more time getting seed and renting the machine than anything.

Just make sure they water correctly.

Puttinggreens
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
This is a tough time of year to grow grass from seed. Make sure they continue to water through to September.

Don't forget Kentucky Bluegrass can take up to 21 days to germinate, the homeowner may get impatient or worse, lazy with the watering making good end results even more difficult.

Bottom line,,, do the job right and get paid quickly in case he drops his end of the deal and complains.

iceman1733
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
This is a tough time of year to grow grass from seed. Make sure they continue to water through to September.

Don't forget Kentucky Bluegrass can take up to 21 days to germinate, the homeowner may get impatient or worse, lazy with the watering making good end results even more difficult.

Bottom line,,, do the job right and get paid quickly in case he drops his end of the deal and complains.

Hey I appreciate the imput...

The person I am doing this for is friends of ours and is very easy going. I was told by him to use as much top soil as needed and he understands how long it takes for the kentucky blue to come up, but he wants to keep his yard with all the same seed. I got a timer that I am going to set up for him that will water it twice a day in 2 different cycles for 45mins to an hour. I think I will be ready to go but does anyone think I should til the ground prior to applying the topsoil or once the top soil gets layed. Thanks for the help already!

LawnSolutionsCP
06-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Timers are great. I used them all the time.

With a timer, watch watering it too much. Keep the ground damp, not saturated. Allow it to dry out as well. During humid summer months you need to watch for fungus / yellow nutsedge which can both be caused by over watering.

Smallaxe
06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Under a swimming pool. If there is anything in that soil other than gravel I would definately till it up. Preferably with the topsoil to get a 6 inch root zone that breathes.
.rick.

sheshovel
06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I recommend tilling in the new soil and adding some compost as well. Yes, this is not the time of year to seed a lawn. New grass can get fried by hot sun no matter haw much it is watered. Don't water it twice 45 to an hour. Water it in well when it is seeded, Then 10/15 minutes three or four times a day until it comes up. That varies depending on the kind of sprinklers he has.

iceman1733
06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey guys thanks for the imput. I do think I will till in that soil because a little bit of sand was in it, but he said he had about a good 6 inches of top soil under that so I plan to add an inch at most to the area and till that in with a little lime to enrich the soil. I think that will work out, but I am having an issue with this water cycle. I see that the two 45 minute sessions won't work out. If I put the timer to 4 15 minute cycles at different times of the day will that work? But I thought a good soaking is good rather then short ones to promote deep root growth? I could be wrong, but whats your call on this 2 45 min cycles or 4 15 minute cycles throughout the day? Thanks for all the help and I will be sure to post some pics on how it went and thru the process.

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 06:33 PM
You should mix a bit of a good quality rye...it will germinate fast, hold the soil in heavy rain, stay green a heck of a lot longer than blue, and give the customer almost immediate satisfaction

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
you should water new seed for a s long as it takes to keep the top 1/4 inch moist...after that, you are wasting water...(there arent any roots yet) 4x15min sounds perfect for this time of the year