PDA

View Full Version : What is doing this??

Capemay Eagle
06-19-2007, 11:20 PM
These mysterious piles of dirt appear now and then. There are no tunnels or holes leading to it. It is like some one just dropped a shovel full of dirt in a particular spot on the lawn. What is doing this. I know what ever it is, it digs deep, because I have sandy soil below the top layer of good soil.

Bill M
06-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Looks like a mole. I have one tearing up my lawn, smart enough to go around the spike traps.

evergreenedmond
06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
It looks like a gopher you can go to a farmers supply store & get a trap to kill them. If you want pics of the trap let me know.

Capemay Eagle
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
It looks like a gopher you can go to a farmers supply store & get a trap to kill them. If you want pics of the trap let me know.

Someone on the site told me it could be pocket gophers. I was not aware that we had gophers in South Jersey, but it looks like there is.

Capemay Eagle
06-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Looks like a mole. I have one tearing up my lawn, smart enough to go around the spike traps.

Definilty not a mole. I have moles and voles, they tend to tunnel. This has no tunnels leading to it, or away from it. Something just drilled in and never came out..

sheshovel
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Those don't look like mole hole digging or any gofer mound I have ever seen, moles keep on tunneling and gofers mounds always have very fine soil around them, too big for voles too.
I have no clue at all, must be alien dirt droppers! Or mini volcano action happening?

Capemay Eagle
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Those don't look like mole hole digging or any gofer mound I have ever seen, moles keep on tunneling and gofers mounds always have very fine soil around them, too big for voles too.
I have no clue at all, must be alien dirt droppers! Or mini volcano action happening?

Yep, it is very weird. They just appear out of nowhere. The soil here is very sandy, we are on the coast, that is why it looks unusual. But the sandy soil is a little deeper than the crust, which is good fill. That is why I said, what ever it is, it digs deep.

meth
03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Did you ever figure out what this was? I actually have the same thing happening in my property. I live in NY and didn't think we had pocket gophers here either, but maybe we do?? I had an exterminator look at it and he said it was too much dirt for moles so I have no idea, neither did he.

Its the same thing - I see no evidence of tunnelling - just these mounds of dirt that appear on my propert - must have 6-8 of them now

Capemay Eagle
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Did you ever figure out what this was? I actually have the same thing happening in my property. I live in NY and didn't think we had pocket gophers here either, but maybe we do?? I had an exterminator look at it and he said it was too much dirt for moles so I have no idea, neither did he.

Its the same thing - I see no evidence of tunnelling - just these mounds of dirt that appear on my propert - must have 6-8 of them now
Kind of funny you posted this. I was looking back 20-25 pages and saw this and opened it up a couple of days ago.

I never did figure out what it was. I will be sure to find out this year if it starts again. These things would pop up overnight and it was a big mess. I have noticed that the moles have been tunneling all winter here. I never knew they were active in the winter, but they have been here, there are fresh new tunnels all over my yard :hammerhead:. I have tried traps, talpirid, pellets and even the old hose in the hole and nothing works. I really do not know what to do. I think I am going to hire a exterminator this year..

bug-guy
03-09-2008, 11:31 AM
pocket gophers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_gopher

meth
03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I guess I am going to try some of these gopher traps and see what happens - I didn't even know we had these damn things in NY

bderks
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Are you near any water - such as a creek or even possibly an underground spring? I get those in my yard all year long, they're actually from crawdads. They start digging down, then cover the top of the hole from below.

retrodog
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
:eek:Freaky...lol Have you ever seen an old movie called Cat's Eye? I bet it is one of those little creatures....lol:help:

meth
03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Are you near any water - such as a creek or even possibly an underground spring? I get those in my yard all year long, they're actually from crawdads. They start digging down, then cover the top of the hole from below.

I am near some running water - more of a rain run off - although its always flowing - these are pretty close to that - However do we have "craw dads" in NY?