PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane Electrical Interlocks

edlee
06-19-2007, 11:26 PM
The Kohler on my Great Dane wont run unless I apply 12 vdc to the cut-off solenoid on the bottom of the carburettor. Any ideas on what would cause this?
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this beast?
Ed Lee

dutch1
06-19-2007, 11:34 PM
You didn't mention a model. You may want to check out owner/parts manual on www.greatdanemowers.com as most manuals contained wiring diagrams.

Dutch

edlee
06-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Specifically, this is a Kohler 22hp on a Great Dane Chariot mower, model KDRZ22KHE. The problem is that the mower starts fine but shuts off after a few seconds. I traced the problem to the carb solenoid. If I put 12 v on the solenoid the engine runs fine. If it is just an interlock switch I don't care, I will just bypass the problem. However, I suspect the Kohler has an oil pressure interlock cut-off, so the engine will start, but if oil pressure does not come up the solenoid drops out. I cannot find out any details from the wiring diagram iteself. It is too vague.
Ed Lee

Restrorob
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Maybe this one will help ?
Make sure you are getting power to the red cut-off solenoid wire at the engine harness plug with the key in run position. If not check for voltage on this wire at the switch, If you have voltage out of the switch you must trace the wire in your harness back to the cut-off solenoid switch checking for any breaks. This could be on a relay also but I'm not familiar with Dane.

The low oil shut-down kills spark not fuel.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/CVTwinWireDiagram.jpg

edlee
06-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Restrorob, thanks for the detail. I can see on the Briggs that the Oil Pressure switch does not affect the carb solenoid. Hopefully, I can trace down all this on my engine to be sure. I would certainly hate to kill the engine by forcing this solenoid with no oil pressure.

edlee
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Restrorob, after looking more at the schematic, I can't understand the purpose of the steering diodes. It appears that the B+ activates the solenoid through one diode, and the starter activates it through the other diode. Of course the diodes keep each circuit from feeding the other. But it seems that the B+ is there all the time the ignition is on...why does the starter have to be involved?
Ed

Restrorob
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I would certainly hate to kill the engine by forcing this solenoid with no oil pressure.

The low oil shut-down kills spark not fuel.

If you had low or no oil pressure the engine would not start at all, The low oil shut-down has nothing to do with the fuel cut-off solenoid. You can do anything you want with the cut-off solenoid.

I'm not familiar with Dane.

Sorry But I'm not familiar with the Great Dane line, I haven't down-loaded the diagram because I'm on sorry dial-up Internet (all I can get around here) so I can't answer your last question.

Just do the quick check I suggested and see if you find anything.

Good Luck

Bill Kapaun
06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
It appears the fuel solenoid wire should be GREEN and splice into a BLUE wire somewhere. (Maybe at the ign switch?)