PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Ford F-150 starting problem...

Primecut
06-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Lately, I have had some difficulty starting my truck. It will usually start, but it will be really weak. Every once in awhile, when I try to start it shortly after I have turned it off, I have to jump start it. But if it sits for a couple of hours or more, it will start perfectly.

Then, this evening, when I went to run to the drug store, I came back out to my truck, and it wouldn't start at all. Nothing, no attempt to turn over at all. The radio worked, and the power windows would go down, but nothing from the engine. When I turned the key in the tumbler, I didn't feel much pressure, like it was stripped or something. I was able to put the key into the start position, and do the trick where I pop the hood and put a screw driver on the two screws to get it started. But then it wouldn't let me get it into gear, so it still is sitting at the drug store.

Hope this makes some sense. Any suggestions or thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks for any replies.

TXNSLighting
06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
sounds like your starter is goin out. id get it tested. maybe battery cables are gettin bad.

ZOO YORK
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
ok i can help out on this one lol.

we had a 1988 ford f-250 with a 351/c6 that didnt have a starting problem but it had a stalling problem. there is a fuel pump relay that is bad and it can confuse the computer so to say and make it do odd things. i would have your fuel pump relay replaced and i would bet that would fix it. if not check your starter, alternator and flywheel checked as these are all common problem areas on that style ford. anymore questions feel free to pm me as i know these trucks inside and out:)

bounty21061
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
just went through this last week you might need a heat shield for the starter mine would start fine cold but when it warmed up it wouldn't start and would act like the battery was dead.

Primecut
06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just had the alternator replaced. Is there anything I can do to get into gear so I can drive it to the mechanic? Thanks.

Fatboy
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Primecut,
You're so close to the answer when you said that the key switch had no resistance and that the transmission will not go into gear.

There's a rod that goes down the steering column to the actual switch down by the brake pedal. This also can keep you from shifting out of park.

Good Luck,
Fatboy