PDA

View Full Version : Trimming

MeadowsLawnCare
06-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I need some advice on trimming yew (spelling) bushes. The lady has let them go sooooo many years that they are really overgrown. She wants them cut back over a foot because they overhang the bed that bad. I can do it, but the question in mind is, if I cut them back a foot it will cut all the green off leaving only the branches. She doesn't care how it looks now but needs it to grow back adventually. Will this kill them trimming the one side back a foot or will they grow back?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Uranus
06-20-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/yardgarden/article/0,26206,1191798,00.html

See if you can get the video to play. I your thread reminded me of that segment on this old house. If you cut it back with a hedge trimmer down to sticks then that is all you will ever have. You may get a very little growth a to show up in a few years but if you cut off all of the green leaves then it is toast. You have to selectively hand prune. You open up the bush and clip off some of the branch leaving some leaves on the branch. Move over 4-6 inches and open up the bush and repeat. The bush will look like Swiss cheese for a while. You have to do it that way so that sunlight gets into the center of the yew to stimulate new growth inside the bush. Takes no less than a year to reduce the size of the bush if you rush it.

Your options are hand prune and that takes a lot of time to get desired look, use hedge trimmers and cut it back to sticks and have to see sticks for the rest of the bushes life, or rip it out.

Once they get that big and growth is only on the outer edges of plant you hit the point of no return.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Great information. I will go back to her with this and im sure she will just want them cut straight and she can do the "special pruning" herself so she doesn't have to pay for my time to do it time and time again. Thanks again!

EVM
06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Trim those yews back just before Spring starts. I am in NJ and would only cut them back in March. They should come up like new by May.